What's your claim to fame.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not exactly a claim to fame but..

I used to live a few hundred yards away from Doug Scott (the Himalayan climber) and went climbing with him and one of his daughters when I was a nipper.
Really nice bloke, down to earth and not at all snotty.

I met a few of the Himalayan climbers that went round there but unfortunatly they seemed to fall off mountains at rather an alarming rate :(

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
he is one hell of a guy!

I was providing security for Mr Fish in Bosnia, he was doing a show for all the lads out there.

He wasn't your typical showbiz wanger!!! he was a funny bloke who liked a drink or 10 :D

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i was on the bbc breakfast programme a few months ago because i am part of my schools anti-bullying work the tims ( trust in me) i was filmed being bullied (drama, not real) and i've been on sky to do with anti-bulling aswell. Does anyone remember seeing me or the slot which i was on?

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
Not many...

When I was 16 I played in a Welsh Schools rugby team that took part in (and won) a European Tournament in Italy. Beat the Czechs, who were big boys but clueless, 35-9 in the final! (Became 'penpals' with a lad who played for 'Yugoslavia' after playing them in the semi-final - he was later conscripted and killed in 1993. Very grim memory...)

Other stuff that comes close is all to do with work: Have skulked about in the background a couple of times on Time Team. Best one was just a couple of weeks ago. An American group from Jonestown Settlement got a grant to dig up some poor soul here in Suffolk and retrieve DNA samples. The burial concerned was supposedly related to the founder of the colony there. Muggins 'ere got to do it. Turns out the whole shebang was funded by National Geographic and I had to do the sordid affair in front of two film crews, a stills photographer and a guy with a camera-on-a-stick thingy (not what you want shoved in your face when you're grappling with a dead person down a deep hole I can tell you...). Two hour documentary apparently, released sometime in November for the anniversary of the founding of the colony I think.

Best thing about the last one was that I had to sign a National Geographic "Expedition Release Form", a copy of which is now a treasured possession! Didn't feel very intrepid though, the church was only 15 miles from home...

Rod

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Well, let's see. Surely I've done something worth mentioning but at the moment all the big things escape me. However, I once met a former Polish army officer who rode in the 1936 Olympics. At the same time I also met a former commanding officer of the Royal Horse Guards, presumably pre Blues. These people I met at the house of a gentleman who served in the Greys and before that, in the Cheshire Yeomanry, the last mounted unit on active service in the British Army. Me, I was just an enlisted man in the United States Army.

My wife, however, has some distinguished antecedents. Her grandmother's grandfather owned Mt. Vernon in Virginia. (I used to live in a log house in West Virginia). She is also directly decended from George Mason and General Samuel Cooper, C.S.A., and thereby distantly related to General Lee. Me, I am decended from nobody. But anyway, we were married in Washington, D.C., across the street from where she was born.

I have broad interests relating to hiking but I think some of my achievements just might be out of place on this particular forum.

One more thing, I used to do Scottish country dancing (and was married wearing a kilt) and once met Miss Milligen, which might date me.

Come to think of it, being an Anglophile and all, I was once the proud owner of both a Land Rover (a 1965 88") and a 2000-TC. I don't recall the last time I saw a Rover sedan but Land Rovers and Range Rovers are fairly thick on the ground around here now.

Really not all that much to be proud of when you get down to it, I guess.

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Wow, I suck compared to all you guys! ;)

My dad once had dinner with Bill Nighy... One of my ancestors lived in a place called "Mudhall"... Ian Hislop (and Terry Thomas!) went to my school...

I'm going to have to get out and about, aren't I? :D :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Oh ok, I'll throw in my bit:

Firstly I have embalmed many of the rich and famous and their families, but we won't go there I suppose! I have had a drink with a friend of my ex wife by the name of Arthur Brown, and briefly entered his 'Crazy World'.... She however had no idea who he was. Bit before her (and mine!!) time though I guess. My mother's family come from a very influential Norman family who came over with cousin Bill. Will and my ancestor, William Malet, were god parents to Harold's nipper (who was Bill the conq's, daughter's sprog) and Will Malet was responsible for burying Harold on Beachy Head. It was also a revolt against him in Northumbria by those pesky Saxons that resulted in the entire North being laid waste, damage that lasted for decades afterwards. His son, Robert Malet was involved in that little 'accident' involving William Rufus, and had to do a runner afterwards as he backed the losing side. Another ancestor gave our family lands to the church (git) in the early 1300's 'for the sake of his soul'. I went to the priory that was built with the funds in Le Havre (we used to own the entire region there) and visited his grave. The only engravings that are present on the worn stone (it is in the prime position in the sanctuary) are Templar crosses in the top corners, so I guess that was why he gave it all away... In Le Revolution my great, great, great, great, great, great grandad came back to Blighty, landing in Bristol, eventually settling in South Wales and they had a steel works which supplied metal for the Severn Bridge. Evidently when my grandad went on a homage in the 60's the name was readable on the metal as a brand name, but too much paint now has obliterated it. According to research that I have read online, William Malet descended from Viking stock and also from King Clovis himself, but I can't confirm that for sure. This I found from a lineage of european Nobility of old. My dad's mob come from the rather well known Griffiths clan of North Wales, who after tha bitter defeat against Edward, kept quiet for a while and later down the line married a family in Anglesey by the name of Tudor...
What else? Umm.... My motorbike and me are featured on the front of a bike mag soon-the photoshoot is this Sunday.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Well here are mine,

Shook hands with the great Henry Cooper when he visited Hereford, saw the Wurzels stood on a corner of the main street through Hereford, Saw one of the group known as"SCAFFOLD" (remember "Lily the Pink"), stood next to Roger Whittaker (the Whistler) in the Argos store in Hereford, Distant relative to the Great bare fist boxer "Tom Spring (tom Winter, all England champion - do a Google search) Got Max Boyce's autograph (the Welsh bloke), met Micheal Elphic (Boon).

What about me though, my fifteen minutes of fame, I was filmed by Central News doing a sponsored abseil to raise funds for a childrens cemetary, in memory of my daughter, got in loads of newspapers at the time as it was only the second officially recognised one in the country, that was back in 1992, how much did I raise in total? about £20,000

Ludlow Survivor

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
I starred alongside Oscar-nominated actor Harrison Ford in a movie we made called "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"

Apparently my depiction of 'German Soldier' number 138 in the book burning scene ( With Mr Bronson as Hitler, triv fans ) was highly commended. Marching round and round all night is a talent not all of us posess.

Sadly, after the film, Harrison, ( or Harry, as I call him ) fell out of touch. Apparently he's shacked up with some skinny bint, whilst I have a position in the IT department of the third largest City Council in the country.

Who's laughing now?

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
TwoFourAlpha said:
I starred alongside Oscar-nominated actor Harrison Ford in a movie we made called "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"

Apparently my depiction of 'German Soldier' number 138 in the book burning scene ( With Mr Bronson as Hitler, triv fans ) was highly commended. Marching round and round all night is a talent not all of us posess.

Sadly, after the film, Harrison, ( or Harry, as I call him ) fell out of touch. Apparently he's shacked up with some skinny bint, whilst I have a position in the IT department of the third largest City Council in the country.

Who's laughing now?

That is just not fair. I love that film, I am going to have to watch it again now.

That is pretty cool.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Our family claim to fame or one that is printable .
Is that we ate BABE or one of them :eek: . My kids enjoy telling there friends espeally the veggy ones!! :D :D

Shepherd

Tenderfoot
I have some cool ones and some naff ones, i'll let you decide which are which.

I was in the paper with Chris Bonnington (Because i went to a talk in Bedworth and we are both called Christian... go figure)

I was on the front of my local rag for teaching Noel Gallagher Harmonica at Glastonbury and another time for selling a bar of soap on ebay that belonged to Saddam Hussein. I got $110 (£65) My mate looted it from his palace.

I take photos for Damien Rice and David Icke (I am linked on their websites) and some other musicians and minor celebs. The photo on David Ickes new dvd is one of mine.. :)

Anthony Hopkins bought me an orange juice in Wales. (I wish i hadn't said, i'll have what you are having.)

I used to do Yoga with Siouxsie Sioux in a little town in the south of France called Condom (where she lives and where i used to read the news on the local radio in English)

I worked for a little while as an extra in Bollywood and amongst weird things like dancing in soap adverts i had a part in a channel 4 drama called 'Bombay Blue'... I was a bearded cult member.

I made and starred in a short film called 'Road Trip'.. Not the famous one although it was on the big screen... Warwick Arts center :)

Met and photographed Tori Amos, Jools Holland, Will Self, Bill Giles, David Suchet, Howard Marks (we got wasted in a caravan), John Major (we didn't),
Lenny henry, Kate Adie, Murrey Walker (miserable git), The Queen and the Queen Mum, Shaun Ryder, Elvin Jones, and lots of bands.. i forget.

I have just been filmed with Kevin McCloud & some others for a program going out in October on channel 4 about the demolition of ugly buildings in the UK called 'Demolish it!"

Me and a friend made the thatch over the Jacuzzi and baths for 'Big Brother 5' and for the house of King Arthur's Mother that burned down in the film 'King Arthur.'

It's weird trying to recall stuff you think others might think is cool knowing you would never say all of it out in one go ever again because it makes you look like a prat.

Oh and i guess i will make this a finally...

I met Lady Diana (when she was a 'Lady') picking up some sausages in a butchers in Dersingham, Norfolk and years later was in a hotel three minutes walk away on the night she died. I also discovered the fact she is not buried where everyone thinks she is and her Brother is making lots of money out of this fact.

I think that's all...

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Here's my two peneth worth then

Shared a plane ride with Norman Wisdom (spelling?), hilarious, one of the best flights i have ever had.

Met Prince Andrew when he visited my days work years ago, problem was we had told the school i was at that my sister and i were both ill and then had our faces plastered all over the local news that evening :rolleyes:

Was taught how to fish by a former world champion (Ian Heaps), then a few years later i proceded to thrash him on his own fishery in a competition. :D

Have met over half of the current England Fishing Team, two of which are now good friends.

Shared a plane last week with the GB Team for the disabled world champs in Helsinki - Good Luck Lads & Lasses

Was on the telly last year when the BBC covered one of our junior fishing competions.

Got my photo published (twice) in Anglers Mail, and am mentioned in Angling Times most weeks.

Sat next to the Icelandic Prime Minister on a trip to Iceland.

Know a bloke who was in the GodFather with Brando

..........and my crowning glory, i told Jonathan Ross his fortune when he jumped the queue at Heathrow, we were waiting in line to go through security and he just pushed in, told him to get to the back of the queue, got a load of abuse so gave the same back, got a round of applause as he went to the back of the queue form the other passengers waiting to go through, only to find him on the same flight and in the same cabin section as me when we boared the plane, give him his due though - he apologised for being a git, and he is actually quite a nice guy when you get talking to him.

Bardialus

May 13, 2005
Chesterfield
I used to run a small metal crafting company that made furniture and sculptures for people. I had an interview in the local paper, and because I was endorsed by the Princes Trust I met Prince Charles and his parents and brothers at a garden party a couple of years ago. The strange thing was that the whole place was full of 'Blue' types, i'm probably as working class as they come.

Other than that....my parents have met most of the bands of the 80's as they used to work backstage at Donnington monsters of rock festival each year so we've got a huge collection of collectable signatures.

Me and my friends nearly walked over Bobby Robson at our local train station a couple of weeks ago.

I've had a few pieces of poetry published both in the Uk and America.

Oh and I met Grotbags from Rod Hull and Emu when I was 8:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE