What would you not be able to do if your phone died ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Last weekend I watched my son use his phone to identify a plant in my garden, and I thought to myself, "but he ought to know that", and it's kind of niggled away at the back of my mind all week since.

I have a confession to make. Thirty years ago I bought myself a big herbal, one on white paper pages, with no photographs, just decent drawings of the plants....and I write in it in the margins. I write about how I used it, where it grew, when I gathered it, how effective it was, etc....and I add in details of folklore, traditional uses, other uses too. So, I do write in books :)

My son and his girlfriend are very capable people, but they're stashing knowledge in a totally different way. If my house burnt down I might lose mine, but most of it's in my mind anyway. I don't think folks who use their phones stash the same kind of stuff in their minds.

So, what would you not know, be able to do, if your phone died ?

Navigation to plant recognition, and uses ? Even guestimating the time with any accuracy ?

M

Reactions: gibson 175

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I’d be devastated to be honest. I’d miss forums terribly. But I guess in the long run I’d love the freedom from it all. I do plan on not having a phone when I retire.

• Wow
Reactions: Herman30

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My phone is - a phone ... not a micro computer.
All I would not be able to do is phone a friend or play "Snake"... the thing is rarely switched on anyway as I hate being tied to "being available" at all hours. Leave a message on my landline and (if I feel like it) I will get back to you :)

I too have a 'phone like this. It is seldom turned on and I carry it only for emergencies. To my dismay, when I did try to use it, I discovered that O2 had discontiued my PAYG contract because of lack of use. After expressing my annoyance, they re-activated my account but I still lost the £15 credit I had on it. I must be a slow learner because this is not the first time it has happened. Fortunately my discovery was not made in an emergency situation but O2 seem not to care about the predicament I might have been in or the loss of my credit. I now make a short call each month to avoid a repetition.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@oldtimer

I'm in much the same scenario. Haven't lost my credit though, just that the phone is for me to keep in touch with Himself if I'm out kind of thing.

My hearing is really poor, so phones are a nightmare anyway. I do touch type, but you can't really do that on a phone, (wonder how many of the present generation are going to end up with knackered thumbs :rolleyes: and wry necks )
More and more I am being pushed to feel disconnected from 'real' life, as in every damned thing is done on the mobile phone. From appointments to banking.

I think I'm a Luddite, and though I use internet I just never quite am happy to have my 'brain' somewhere else, iimmc ?

M

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Without phone I couldn't call anyone unless I would use a different phone.
I guess that's evident.

I couldn't play in internet forums and internet shops around.
My geese and ducks surely would appreciate it, my neighbours perhaps less.

:rolleyes:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'd miss the forums I'm on, being able to get info easily...such as bus times and I'd miss my you tubers that I'm subscribed to.
But, only having had a phone for the past 6 /7 or so years, I wouldn't miss it that much. I always use my landline number if asked for a number,
I do find texting handy tho.
I'm not glued to mine, and rarely have it on me when it might be handy when out. Always seem to cope, so it doesn't worry me too much. I have backed up all my phone numbers in a book, just in case I loose my phone, or break it.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I've got a cheapo phone,no apps,not even a camera,i have to use it once every 90 days just to keep the credit going.It's only with me when i go for a ramble,a "just in case"

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd miss the forums I'm on, being able to get info easily...such as bus times and I'd miss my you tubers that I'm subscribed to.
But, only having had a phone for the past 6 /7 or so years, I wouldn't miss it that much. I always use my landline number if asked for a number,
I do find texting handy tho.
I'm not glued to mine, and rarely have it on me when it might be handy when out. Always seem to cope, so it doesn't worry me too much. I have backed up all my phone numbers in a book, just in case I loose my phone, or break it.
As you know, I’m in a no signal area and have been for 4 months. We get scraps of it, but not enough to maintain a call or data signal. It’s not a bad thing really, but as most modern phones are mini computers, it’s very easy to miss some of the essential stuff such as a direct debit not going out or an email that needs a reply.

Driving out or walking to the top of a hill isn’t always ideal to answer a text or make a call, so though it’s a blessing to be away from the general annoyance, I have to list what needs doing or I forget stuff.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As you know, I’m in a no signal area and have been for 4 months. We get scraps of it, but not enough to maintain a call or data signal. It’s not a bad thing really, but as most modern phones are mini computers, it’s very easy to miss some of the essential stuff such as a direct debit not going out or an email that needs a reply.

Driving out or walking to the top of a hill isn’t always ideal to answer a text or make a call, so though it’s a blessing to be away from the general annoyance, I have to list what needs doing or I forget stuff.
I don't know if this is of any use but we're also in a bit of a dead spot. In an emergency we can put a phone or mobile router in a bag and hoist it up on the end of a prunings saw pole. Then connect to it via Wi-Fi on a tablet or other phone. Sounds a bit of bother but the other option was a very expensive aerial and mobile router.

Reactions: TeeDee

bearbait

For me, confirming sign-ins to some specific websites, e.g. banking and so on, and confirming money movements therein. This would become more difficult.

I've seen some people actually paying for things in shops with their phone in a contactless way rather than using a credit or debit card. That is a vulnerability I wouldn't like.

I'd also miss the Met Office weather app, useful as I'm out-of-doors a lot. Also WhatsApp messaging with close friends - much easier for a quick message or a bit of banter than a phone call.

My phone is goes on to silent from 2100 to 0900 next day every day. Plus it's switched off when I go to bed anyway.

Reactions: Pattree

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know if this is of any use but we're also in a bit of a dead spot. In an emergency we can put a phone or mobile router in a bag and hoist it up on the end of a prunings saw pole. Then connect to it via Wi-Fi on a tablet or other phone. Sounds a bit of bother but the other option was a very expensive aerial and mobile router.
I have windsock poles, they're extendable up to 7m. They'd certainly take the weight of a phone in a lightweight nylon bag....I paid under a tenner for mine. I use them to fly flags. They collapse down to 1m length, so not a pest to store or carry.

M

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I have windsock poles, they're extendable up to 7m. They'd certainly take the weight of a phone in a lightweight nylon bag....I paid under a tenner for mine. I use them to fly flags. They collapse down to 1m length, so not a pest to store or carry.

M
Was seriously looking at a flat pole but those look a much cheaper option thanks.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Is one of these iPhones a crutch for a weak classroom education? Maybe a surrogate for a system that can't include every one? I have to admire the diversity of educational applications (those are "apps", right?)
My kids are very successful 40-somethings. I asked them if I should get a phone (cordless landline in my house is all.) Their unanimous opinion was that I've got along so well without it, I don't need the expense. Second, I won't be able to remember how to use it anyway.
I grew up with books and classrooms for several degrees and a Bio Lecturer's great job for 30+ years. Good enough.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Was seriously looking at a flat pole but those look a much cheaper option thanks.
If you lived nearer I'd pass one along and let you have a play around with it.
Mine are carbon fibre, and I've been using them for well over ten years, and they're still sound. I bought the 'ground spike' for mine....honestly a heavy duty welding rod shoved into the ground half it's length would do the job fine.... or something similar. Heavy duty garden cane would work if it's not brittle. It just keeps it in place and lets you have free hands. The butt end of the extendable poles is about an inch clearance inside, so there's a lot of leeway on what you use. The topmost rod is very, very thin and flexible, I think I'd maybe tie off the phone bag to the one further down, tbh. I don't think it'd snap, but it'll droop so much that it might not be worth the bother for the top one.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is one of these iPhones a crutch for a weak classroom education? Maybe a surrogate for a system that can't include every one? I have to admire the diversity of educational applications (those are "apps", right?)
My kids are very successful 40-somethings. I asked them if I should get a phone (cordless landline in my house is all.) Their unanimous opinion was that I've got along so well without it, I don't need the expense. Second, I won't be able to remember how to use it anyway.
I grew up with books and classrooms for several degrees and a Bio Lecturer's great job for 30+ years. Good enough.

I admit I'm like you, and the books and stuffing the brain, works fine :)
I don't think the youngsters use their phones as a crutch for a weak classroom education, just that it's a very different time and to them, the phone makes books mostly unnecessary for many things. A bit redundant. I think I must have about fifty 'plant' books, at least, my son has a phone, iimmc ? Thing is though, so long as it's on an app then it's fine, but the apps don't have the detail, the accumulated knowledge of a lifetime, and I wonder just how little they actually 'know'. If someone puts out something false and it's taken up, does that become truth ?

Honestly ? I am beyond reluctant to trust something that keeps it's brain where I can't see it :) or have a sound opinion of it, etc., tbh, I think the phones make folks lazy about learning, but then, I'm of a generation that grew up loving books.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE