What's your claim to fame.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I was once canoeing in a german tv-commercial for a travelling agency. At another occation I was explaining the usage of deadfall traps on a national radio show.

I was also on national news after I escaped in to the wild when I was 13. :( It taught me that evading people and helicopters is very easy. Kind of stupid anyway. Returned on my own after two nights, when I got tired of it all.

Torjus Gaaren

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Poor selection compaired to some I am afraid!

Met most of the cast of "heart beat" at a wedding function (My ex's dad was playing the banjo in the band) got to dance with one of them (The bar maid) (Though I was fairly drunk at the time)

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
I have only met a few famous people:
Ex prime minister Callaghan,
Ex Welsh rugby legend Barry John
and my cousin is Charlotte Church's godfather

that's it I'm afraid

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Wouldnt really call them a claim to fame

But have met, spoken to and shaken hands with Prince Charles at Warnfaur Steam Railway Station up near Snowdon a couple of years ago

and met, although didnt speak to or anything like that, the Queen when she visited my place of work in Winchester.

Have also had my name and photo in the cricket section of our local rag a few times too.

Cetainly not what i'd class as claims to fame though.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Armourer on Gladiator, Knight's tale, Beowulf and a few other tv and digital movies.

Appeared on various history documentries as a Viking, Saxon, English Yeoman, French Yeoman and Roman.

Demonstrated Viking cookery for Adam Hart Davies on history and Lonely Planet. Demonstrated Roman cookery for "Ever wondered about food" and sent Tony Robinson down a cliff to find eggs for "Worst jobs in history".

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
I was an armourer in the RAF and worked on many fast jet types. One of my career restricting hobbies was to go joy riding unofficially on any aircraft that I could.

"Hello sir ...thats a nice aircraft you have...any chance of a trip...Ive never flown before etc etc"

I logged over 120 joyrides over the years...Shackleton, Chinook, Dakota, Canberra, Hawk, Comet, Tornado and lots more and only got caught once. Not bad for a ground crew type person.

Also was cheeky to Princess Margaret and got away with it.

Many other claims to fame but cannot mention them as RAF might be embarrassed and I would be in the pooh..again

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
My turn I suppose........

I was an Airloadie in the RAF for a good number of years so I was probably one of the nice people you convinced Shadow. Hey I enjoyed my time in whilst it lasted, got to see a few things and all that.

During my RAF career I also helped break the forces record for running the British three peaks (Sca Fell, Snowdon and Ben Nevis) from sea level to the top in record time (probably long broken by now).

During my career as an archaeologist/scientist, I have appeared on the telly, in newspapers and on the radio giving my lowdown on various archaeological sites and finds. Its amazing how much you can get away with when you dont know what you are talking about (well no one else does either).

Oh yes almost forgot my great aunt was Margaret Lockwood (fifties film icon).
Over the years I have met a number of famous people through people I know and I have always been quite non-plussed about meeting them (celebs, film, bands etc) as they have me. My view is that they are only human beings after all, but when people have dome something that I consider amazing like climbing mountains with no legs, explorers, people against adversity etc then I am in deep respect for them.

Lets hope there is still more excitement to come.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE