Warbonnet ... a possibly fatal mistake !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have a warbonnet blackbird they are good, but it is important to get it set up right .
They work best when both sides are pegged out (with the Mozi net in use) . I have used it with the mozi net rolled back in winter but it gives a better spread with the net pegged out as this helps to open the hammock

Heres a few picys fer ye

P1020733.jpg

P1020739.jpg

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Salad what under quilt is that ,sorry to steer away from original post,wayne

Hi Wayne
There are two under-quilts in those pics mate, both are from Matt at ukhammocks.

The black one my winter quilt and is good for about down to -15 ,it has a gore-tex like material for the outer part. Its not one of Matts standard models

And the goldy/brown one is a full length 3 season u-quilt and is good for anything from summer conditions to just below zero,thats the one that gets used the most

Both quilts are great and I am very happy to recommend UKhamocks, there service is great and every-time I have called Matt with questions he is always happy to chat and he makes sure he covers all of the points to my questions, a top bloke to deal with:)
If there is something specific that you want then call him the chances are he will be able to make it for you

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
They will - you just have to put it outside the net and have connectors between the whoopie and the hammock - it's what I do on my grey hornet.

like this
P6011076.JPG

IMAG0215.jpg

Except I went overkill and did whoopies at both the hammock side and the tree side.

Great idea, which I'm going to promptly nick ;)!

:You_Rock_

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The nets on both WB and Hennessy hammocks are midge as well as Mosquito proof. Hennessy invented the structural ridge line, so it is fair to say that their ridge lines are indeed structural. Although it is also fair to state that both WB and Hennessy hammocks expect the user to have a sensible hang with 20-30 degree angle of dangle.
@Elen - the bug nets on WB, Hennessy and UK Hammocks are designed to allow a diagonal lie, and even encourage it, so allowing a reasonable opportunity to side sleep (I find it more comfortable to back sleep anyway, so it is not an issue for me). Also, the bug net makes it nearly impossible to fall out of the hammock.

@Elen - the bug nets on WB, Hennessy and UK Hammocks are designed to allow a diagonal lie, and even encourage it, so allowing a reasonable opportunity to side sleep (I find it more comfortable to back sleep anyway, so it is not an issue for me). Also, the bug net makes it nearly impossible to fall out of the hammock.

Great information PDA1. Gives me some idea of where to start looking. Many thanks.

Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Elen Sentier

The nets on both WB and Hennessy hammocks are midge as well as Mosquito proof. Hennessy invented the structural ridge line, so it is fair to say that their ridge lines are indeed structural. Although it is also fair to state that both WB and Hennessy hammocks expect the user to have a sensible hang with 20-30 degree angle of dangle.

That's grand information, ta muchley, especially the not falling out bit :D

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I had iirc a warbonnet copy. I couldn't get on with it. It was comfy, no question ........but........I just couldn't get on with not being able to see from both sides. Meant missing alot of nature :(

Gone back to my DD traveller with sls and find it wide enough to lay comfy, either on my side or back.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Elen Sentier

Arrrggghhh !!! Shewie, those pix are unkind to a woman who's bank balance can't take the strain right now !!! What's the clobber on top in the one with the bright blue UQ? Could you give me a kit lineup on that pic? I'm sort of attracted to the ridgerunner + cocoon as I'm a very cold mortal and need to sleep on my side, but it's not a certainty yet and I'm also feeling I should look at hennessy ...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Arrrggghhh !!! Shewie, those pix are unkind to a woman who's bank balance can't take the strain right now !!! What's the clobber on top in the one with the bright blue UQ? Could you give me a kit lineup on that pic? I'm sort of attracted to the ridgerunner + cocoon as I'm a very cold mortal and need to sleep on my side, but it's not a certainty yet and I'm also feeling I should look at hennessy ...

Which pic Elen? That's a Speers Snugfit UQ (now discontinued), an Alpkit Pipedream 600, older model 1.7DL Blackbird and older model Superfly with pop off doors.

I've tried a bridge hammock but didn't like the shoulder squeeze, it was an older model Bear Mountain from JRB. Brandons Ridgerunner has addressed the shoulder problem with the longer spreader bars, but then you need a really big tarp to cover it. Even my Superfly is borderline for coverage on the RR, in any kind of wind there's going to be rubbing against the ends of the bars. I was ready to pull the trigger on a DL Ridgerunner and Couldburst tarp from Mat last month but I missed out, next delivery though I think I'm going to get them.

Shewie, Just spotted another ULA user, just got a Catalyst and am liking it very much, is that an Ohm ?

It is mate, I really like them. I use my old CDT for 3 season stuff and the Ohm for winter trips when I need the extra room for winter quilts. I've just bought a Gossamer Gear Gorilla which is a nice a pack too, looking forward to giving it a test soon.

Elen Sentier

You won't be disappointed Elen, it's good quality kit

This one - there's a a blue-grey thingy over the top of the hammock, wondering what it is.

Do I read you right that you intend to get an RR when stocks are in? Despite the width and potential tarp rubbing and shoulder squeeze? I shouldn't suffer from the latter, hopefully, as I dare say my shoulders are narrower.

Any thoughts on Mat's new Xpedition hammock?

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Got a woodsman X recently. I'm impressed with it so far, build quality and design is excellent. Not managed an overnight yet in it though. So would have got the Xpedition if he did them when I ordered mine! Although Debs still prefers the DD due to the better all round visibilty, I must admit I do see her point there and may fell the same when I try it out..

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Got a woodsman X recently. I'm impressed with it so far, build quality and design is excellent. Not managed an overnight yet in it though. So would have got the Xpedition if he did them when I ordered mine! Although Debs still prefers the DD due to the better all round visibilty, I must admit I do see her point there and may fell the same when I try it out..

To me visibility takes a back seat to comfort - if you're using it just to laze about on a sunny day and read in then visibility is a strong point - but for a good nights sleep comfort is key. Fortunately my TW Super XL offers the best of both worlds.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This one - there's a a blue-grey thingy over the top of the hammock, wondering what it is.

Do I read you right that you intend to get an RR when stocks are in? Despite the width and potential tarp rubbing and shoulder squeeze? I shouldn't suffer from the latter, hopefully, as I dare say my shoulders are narrower.

Any thoughts on Mat's new Xpedition hammock?

The blue grey thing is probably just the bug net, it looks weird as it's wet through. I rolled up my tarp after a foggy night and the inside rubbed against the bug net, wetting it out. Above that is a rolled up Superfly tarp.

The RR with the wider spreader bar at the head end should hopefully eliminate the shoulder squeeze, the reports on HF so far have been promising when compared to the BMBH I had previously. If I do get one I'll get the Cloudburst tarp for it too, I'm not fussed about extra weight or volume as it'll be my canoe camping setup.

No experience of the Xpedition sorry, I have the Woodsman Lite from Mat which is nicely made, and plenty of his quilts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE