Ideal size for a daysack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Planning on getting out.

My regular small bag is a North Face Surge, but thats reserved for Uni.

I have a Karrimor Jaguar....might be a bit big. How big are they?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have always tried to go as small as feasible on the daypack.
Honestly, I managed fine with a 15 to 20L for pretty much everything.
Couldn't do it if I were camping out though, or carrying much of a stove, well, unless I was going really light in Summer.

Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Somewhere between 20 to 30 litres, obviously it very much depended on what you intend on doing/using.

Reactions: Toddy

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
A Eurohike 25ltr does me just fine for a day in the hills. I can get water proofs, 2 ltrs of water, hat and gloves, food, med kit, possibles pouch, a light weight poncho and a small gas stove in there no problem.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
It is always good to go to shop and try some on. There is a huge range of packs and some suit different peoples body shapes better than others.

25/30 litres is a good size and a hip belt is good to get the weight off your shoulders for comfort. I’m not a huge of Gooutdoors but they have a large range and you can add weights to them and try them on.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yup, what I will try for; 25-30l.

(How big is the Karrimor Jaguar? Anyone know?)

(And a Berghaus roc without the side pockets?)

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
That depends on the model. The early Jaguars before the SA back system, were around 50-55 litres. The later ones with the SA, range from 55 L to 80l but they usually have the litrage emboidered somewhere on the them.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It is all relative I guess, anything between 18 and 28 ltrs I would consider a daypack, but what you can comfortably carry depends upon your build, your age and fitness. I see young kids with school packs which compared to the size of their bodies make a Berghaus Vulcan look small.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I remember reading outdoor magazines in the distant past (when TGO was simply The Great Outdoors). They all used to say 30-35l or 50l in winter to carry the extra kit you must carry to be safe in winter walks. Lol!

In summer I used to get by with a 5 or 7l bumbag. I once enjoyed an autumn overnighter using a 20l alpkit Gourdon drybag style rucksack. That was tarp, bivvy, quilt, stove, warmth layer, waterproofs, mat (OK a 130g CCF from Robens that I cut down to just torso sized so perhaps 65g), food and water. Plus few other things I've forgotten but you get the idea. You can actually sleep out with very little rucksack cavity if you're committed to doing so.

So the question is like asking how long is a length of string. The answer is whatever you want it to be.

BTW 20l was stuffed for me and being a cheap rucksack without the best harness it rolled about a bit but the low weight didn't make that an issue. When you're walking with enough for a night or few and it feels lighter than the it you used to carry for a day trip. Well you certainly have a spring in your step. I used to camp out one night and meet a walking group partway up the hill on a group walk and my overnight day pack was lighter than most of the group's bags. When organising these meet ups they used think my heavy bag will slow them down, not after they saw my kit!

Anyway, I digress a lot!!!

Imho a 15 to 25l rucksack is about right. With a few caveats. First if you carry more kit than most you will need more or cut back on kit. Second, bigger ppl need bigger sacks for the same kit but also perhaps for better fit of the bag. Thirdly two rucksacks with the same capacity from two different brands will not be exactly the same volume I real terms. Many reasons my just down to brands pulling a fast one. Some styles of rucksacks suit your needs more than others and others have better features that when to carry more such as large, external, stretchy mesh pockets to carry often needed bulky waterproofs outside the main bag. In that case it might seem to you to have more actual capacity than another bag labelled with the same measured capacity. That's partly down to volume measurement standards I reckon not working well for some designs.

As I said, no simple answer.

PS sorry I'm still a little bit too much of a gear nerd!

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
I have a couple of packs that I use regularly one is an old macpac 20 liter zip top pack which I use for short easy day walks in good weather. I can normally squeeze food, drink, binos and a bit of emergency kit in to it with a little extra space just in case.
If I'm going further afield or out in winter I'm taking my fjallraven 38 liter pack as its has the space for any spares or other equipment I might need. 38L is getting in to full sized pack territory but you do get things like a proper load bearing waist belt which ads to stability and load bearing comfort. It also has good side straps so you can squeeze it down and reduce the size if you are taking less kit. When the 20 liter pack finally dies ill just stick with 38 liter and just put less kit in it.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Just use what ever ruck you have, just don’t fill it full. Most have compression straps or a way to reduce the volume. At least that way you can work out what you need to take/carry with you.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Yup, what I will try for; 25-30l.

(And a Berghaus roc without the side pockets?)
The Berghaus Cyclops Roc is about 60ltr IIRC? but I can tell you it's a freakishly hard wearing rucksack. With the larger Berghaus rucksacks be sure to check the frame size (2, 3, 4 etc) for a good fit. For reference I'm 5ft 5in and size 2 is perfect for me.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
My go to one at the moment is my Bundeswerh mountain backpack, it’s the Cordura one, not a copy. It’s a perfect size, not sure, but I’d say 30 litres and is tough as old boots. I keep an original folding Bundeswerh folding sleep mat in the compartment at the back which is actually meant to go in to give it structure and comfort so nothing digs in your back, no matter what you’ve got in. I always take that mat because it makes a really comfortable sitting pad, because you’re raised a couple inches, you have a better posture- I get a bad back if I sit cross legged on the flat ground. It also has the advantage of being able to tuck an axe/hatchet down the back of the side pockets. Simple pack, comfortable, no zips, nothing to go wrong. Just how I like it. :)

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I reckon that 30 litres for a day sack is fine, unless you're heading mountain-wards in winter. I've found that clothes and kit that were neatly and snugly packed at home have a habit of expanding and being unruly on the day out; having that little extra space makes everything much more manageable!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Get one that fits your anatomy, fulfills your design criteria (number of pockets, style etc) and that is lightweight.

I often use my snazzy ligthweight 60+ L backpack for day hikes, simply because it's much lighter than my other backpacks. Although my Vaude day sack is slightly more comfortable with it's hip fins in warm weather.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The berghaus munro is a well proven bit of kit.

You're better getting a slightly bigger pack and leaving some room, than too small a pack and having to ram stuff in imo.

If you want pockets etc.. for organisation then the 5.11 rush range is very good.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Different times and places need different sizes and shapes of rucksack.
But if you pick winter hill walking as the most extreme choice and buy a pack for that; then it will have plenty or room for most other times and places.
My favourite day pack is 42 litres with options for extra pockets to extend it into a day & a half pack. I've tried smaller packs all the way down to the tiny Camelback MULE but keep returning to the tall skinny pack with the larger volume.
Of course if you are not 1850 tall and an XXL in mens clothing and don't always pack a down jacket and a bivvy sack you can use a much smaller pack but I think it's a mistake to try and cram a lot of gear into a small pack, better a larger pack tightened down. YMMV.
For small loads I like my old MountainSmith Day, one of the largest bumbags around but still only 15 litres internal volume, the water bottle pockets fit a surplus canteen and cup very well which is a bonus

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE