Warbonnet ... a possibly fatal mistake !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just went for a play on UK Hammocks and took a look at the Warbonnet section ... this led me to Wabonnet's site ... and their videos!

Oh dear! They really have thought about hammocks, haven't they? I've learned a few tricks that had been lurking in my brain already, like pegging out the sides, their vids have shown be that I can give them a whirl.

But the (possibly) worst bit is the Ridgerunner! I sleep on my side and turn over a lot whatever sleep system I'm using (incl my bed), this can get a bit "interesting" in the DD and I've been wishing my hammock would spread out more ... like the Ridgerunner. I'm a bit nervous of the stability - falling out of one's hammock is not fun (at least for you, although observers tend to find it hysterical!) and especially not for folks with osteoporosis :yikes:. So my question is does anyone use a Ridgerunner, what are the pros/cons, and does anyone have one who is coming to the next Northwood meet? Frotunately, I don't have any money at the moment so can't spalsh out on one, this forces me to have time to ask questions! I can see a sale of some gear coming up !!!

The Blackbirds look nice too - any Blackbird enthusiasts out there?

For all of them, the footbox concept is also just what I want - am thinking heavily if/how I can mod the DD. I often end up with a reverse ridgeline of hammock between my feet which is uncomfortable :(.

I think some of today will be out in my woody bit seeing what pegging out is like and what I can do about a footbox.

Ideas on a pinhead would be most welcome :)

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I have a blackbird, most comfortable hammock I have owned. Bridge hammocks are supposed to be a bit tippy but I have no experience myself.
for loads of info get yourself over to hammockforums.com lots of experience over there with plenty of people who use bridges who will advise you.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I have a tenth wonder hammock with whoopie slings and i am looking for someone to take it as i am going for the xlc I love hammock camping in scotland whilst deer stalking and can get pitched out of the way in the depth of the forest and not disturb anything. nothing wrong with the tenth wonder it just looks more room with the footbox and shelf and i have a dog so she will be with me this year so need the extra room.atb wayne

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive just moved to a blackbird with superfly tarp and it was stunningly comfortable. slept on my side with no problems at all. the asymmetric lay makes it very stable and the footbox gets you lovely and flat. cant recommend enough

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Well I have a WBBB and much though it seems to be regarded as heresy ... I really don't like it that much and if I had paid asking price would have been even more disappointed.

It has its plus like weight but if I found a new HHED zip - body alone or with hex tarp ( not stock asym tarp) would prob go back.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I purchased a cheapy tw super xl hammock. The extra width and length mean I get a very flat lay. No bug net but that hasn't been a problem as of yet. I used to own a dd travel hammock and also have a slightly larger tw grey hornet, both have the annoying ridge up the middle effect. No probs with the super xl. They're so cheap maybe give one a go first?

I love my Frontline, and regularly use it - infact my tents are up for sale now, as they dont get a look in anymore!
I just find that when I use the FlyNet I cant get a 'diagonal lay' - the net takes up a lot of the slack.
So much so that I now sleep with it reversed (the net under); so much comfier.

Which makes me feel I need an new one. Whats the point having a net that I feel I cant use, or if I do, I end up more uncomfatable?!

I dont regret buying it, as it has opened my eyes to a much more relaxing way of staying outdoors, I just feel I need to move on from it and find something that beter fits my new requirement.

Any sugestions would be brilliant.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Elen - but I'm sure you are in a similar position!

Mark :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I love my Frontline, and regularly use it - infact my tents are up for sale now, as they dont get a look in anymore!
I just find that when I use the FlyNet I cant get a 'diagonal lay' - the net takes up a lot of the slack.
So much so that I now sleep with it reversed (the net under); so much comfier.

Which makes me feel I need an new one. Whats the point having a net that I feel I cant use, or if I do, I end up more uncomfatable?!

I dont regret buying it, as it has opened my eyes to a much more relaxing way of staying outdoors, I just feel I need to move on from it and find something that beter fits my new requirement.

Any sugestions would be brilliant.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Elen - but I'm sure you are in a similar position!

Mark :)

Tenth wonder super XL.
http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/Hammocks/Compact-Hammocks/Green-Super-XL-Hammock-3x1.8m

£24

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The TW hornets now come in a extra wide (1.8m) version. I can comfortably side sleep in it. But plus one for the TW xl equally awesome,

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
There are others but offhand the only one in UK I can think of is Hennessy which is similar but perhaps not true SRL. Someone did one but infringed patents and now sells WB. Assume you checked out hammockforums?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The problem I have found is that (exluding the WBBB) the hammocks with nets wont support a structural ridge line (for that perfect hang)..
or am I jsut not looking at the right hammocks?

They will - you just have to put it outside the net and have connectors between the whoopie and the hammock - it's what I do on my grey hornet.

like this
P6011076.JPG

IMAG0215.jpg

Except I went overkill and did whoopies at both the hammock side and the tree side.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE