Ideal size for a daysack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
A Sabre 35 does me well from a day out in any season to a summer overnighter

Sent from underground

Reactions: CLEM
My go to one at the moment is my Bundeswerh mountain backpack, it’s the Cordura one, not a copy. It’s a perfect size, not sure, but I’d say 30 litres and is tough as old boots. I keep an original folding Bundeswerh folding sleep mat in the compartment at the back which is actually meant to go in to give it structure and comfort so nothing digs in your back, no matter what you’ve got in. I always take that mat because it makes a really comfortable sitting pad, because you’re raised a couple inches, you have a better posture- I get a bad back if I sit cross legged on the flat ground. It also has the advantage of being able to tuck an axe/hatchet down the back of the side pockets. Simple pack, comfortable, no zips, nothing to go wrong. Just how I like it. :)
if the current version is as strong as the older versions (rubberized canvas iirc) then they're pretty much indestructible even if overloaded and dragged around by infantrymen (guess how i come to know...) -- given the amount of cheap copies and civilian packs based on this one you probably can't go wrong with it...
does anyone know by chance the exact dimensions of the pack? as they're not available in central america i might get a copy made by someone with a sewing machine at some point in the future

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
I’ve got a 20l one which is my skiing backpack, that’s sometimes a little small for winter ans I don’t like stuff on the outside of my pack, and depending how long a day it’s going to be. I reckon 30l would cover most without being too big.

Reactions: Toddy

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
if the current version is as strong as the older versions (rubberized canvas iirc) then they're pretty much indestructible even if overloaded and dragged around by infantrymen (guess how i come to know...) -- given the amount of cheap copies and civilian packs based on this one you probably can't go wrong with it...
does anyone know by chance the exact dimensions of the pack? as they're not available in central america i might get a copy made by someone with a sewing machine at some point in the future
I’ll measure it up tonight for you.

Reactions: forrestdweller

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Sorry, finally got round to it.
Lid is 33cm in width by 28cm high
Side pockets are 14cm in width by 28cm high and are sort of pleated out by about 6cm.
Main compartment is 48cm high, 32cm width and about 20cm out (like 20cm measured perpendicular to the width). The bottom of the pack is a straight line at the back and oval shaped at the front, if you know what I mean? Like a D shape.
There’s the inner compartment at the back that the sleep mat fits in. As for the straps, I’m sure there will be videos showing how those go, like the main straps on the front have two slots in, where they’re not sewn, two above each other, each strap so you can use ties/belts to fasten something to the front. Then there’s something similar to the parts of the straps on the lid, the back two slots have D rings on them.
The person I bought mine off has sewn an inner pocket in the lid, taking up the whole of the lid, which is really handy.

Should have said, the shoulder straps’ padding is 5.5cm in width and about 31cm long before it becomes webbing with the adjuster buckles on (whatever you call them. The padding is about 1.5cm thick. Also there is the waist strap that is just webbing, so I’m sure this could be improved upon.
I think that’s about it, anything else, you’re welcome to ask. :)
Forgot to say, the bottom of the pack is double layer of Cordura that goes up around the pack, 4cm high. If you want pictures of any of the features, just ask.

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
My prefered bag for a few days away (accomodation inside, not camping) is Helikon Tex Bergen, about 20 litres. So it should be good enough for daytrips.

bergen-reppu-helikon-tex.jpg

Reactions: CLEM and Ozmundo
Sorry, finally got round to it.
Lid is 33cm in width by 28cm high
Side pockets are 14cm in width by 28cm high and are sort of pleated out by about 6cm.
Main compartment is 48cm high, 32cm width and about 20cm out (like 20cm measured perpendicular to the width). The bottom of the pack is a straight line at the back and oval shaped at the front, if you know what I mean? Like a D shape.
There’s the inner compartment at the back that the sleep mat fits in. As for the straps, I’m sure there will be videos showing how those go, like the main straps on the front have two slots in, where they’re not sewn, two above each other, each strap so you can use ties/belts to fasten something to the front. Then there’s something similar to the parts of the straps on the lid, the back two slots have D rings on them.
The person I bought mine off has sewn an inner pocket in the lid, taking up the whole of the lid, which is really handy.

Should have said, the shoulder straps’ padding is 5.5cm in width and about 31cm long before it becomes webbing with the adjuster buckles on (whatever you call them. The padding is about 1.5cm thick. Also there is the waist strap that is just webbing, so I’m sure this could be improved upon.
I think that’s about it, anything else, you’re welcome to ask. :)
Forgot to say, the bottom of the pack is double layer of Cordura that goes up around the pack, 4cm high. If you want pictures of any of the features, just ask.
thanks, that answers my questions :)
i'm sure i can convert your description into instructions if i find someone capable of using a sewing machine (and having the materials) -- it's not on the list for the time being, more as a future project. (and from a long-ago time in my life i'm familiar with an older version of this backpack...)

Reactions: matarius777

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I have the above Helikon tex bag. A bit pricy but nice features and good size for a day pack to short summer trip/travel. Mine was second hand and hardly used. Having non-military colour options is sometimes nice.

I "issued" 10L Eurohike Ratio's to my clan when there was a sale on. It's enough to hold a cagoule, water bottle and snacks. Too small to load up heavily so it reduces whinging and doesn't get in the way when in a National trust cafe! I'd like decent water bottle carriers on the outside of it but it does have a padded back. The wife prefers it to her handbag now.

For myself I often use a waist pack/big bum bag as this just gets added to may pack if I am going for a trip.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Wth my kids and Mrs, I find a lonback bergen with side pouches is about right
When my own were toddlers that sounds about right.
Something from my climbing days way back when, we carried a great big frame pack of the American style for the base camp gear and carried our sleeping bags in a small separate pack lashed underneath. So the day pack was chosen to fit the frame under the main bag, that worked quite well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE