Warbonnet ... a possibly fatal mistake !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Do all the Hennessey hammocks have bottom entry? It looks as if they do from their site. If so, I can discount them completely as that's not my scene. Those dratted WBs are looking more attractive by the minute!

you can get side entry hennessey hammocks now in the full range Elen. Have a look on RVOPs website. Velcro is bottom entry, zip is side entry

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
hennesey do come with the rain fly (tarp) its like a diamond setup. i wanted more coverage whch is why i went with warbonnet and superfly. not sure on their netting but would imagine its both

Elen Sentier

OK - I've got the rainfly thingy from watching RVOps vid ... it is small, I'd want more tarp for "living room" :D but could do that with existing tarps and separate setup. Will ask RVOps about midges, the man only talks about mossies. Now I go to look at WB and superfly ... again!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
To me visibility takes a back seat to comfort - if you're using it just to laze about on a sunny day and read in then visibility is a strong point - but for a good nights sleep comfort is key. Fortunately my TW Super XL offers the best of both worlds.
Not seen those.....arrrrgh I like it but can't see much difference from the DD traveller, other than its breathable.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

WOODPECKER066

Feb 22, 2007
KENT
009.jpgAnother fan of the blackbird here. I had a hennessy before but did not like the bottom entry, the blackbird is much more user friendly makes a really comfortable lounging chair around camp. Paired up with a Superfly tarp and a UK Hammocks underquilt it makes extremely comfortable and compact sleep and shelter setup.Here is mine on fishing trip in France

Last edited:
OK - I've got the rainfly thingy from watching RVOps vid ... it is small, I'd want more tarp for "living room" :D but could do that with existing tarps and separate setup. Will ask RVOps about midges, the man only talks about mossies. Now I go to look at WB and superfly ... again!

swap out he Asym fly for the larger Hex fly plenty living space Deal with Hennesy direct they warehouse in UK for shipping
I have 4 Hennesys

latest was the then new jungle size zip with Hex fly definitely different from the bottom entry ones id used previously

only critic is its a deep bowl of fabric with taught sides which dig in the back of my knees when getting out
and the bubble wrap insulating mat is huge so i never carry it I just use a second sleeping bag in the double layer base as underquilt

ATB

Duncan

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@Elen
I have used the Hennessy Expedition zip. If the description says "zip" it has a zip closed side entry. Otherwise it has velcro closed bottom entry. As sold here (USA) you can swap out the minimal diamond tarp for the hex tarp for an extra $25. This is enormous and gives mucho privacy and coverage. Its 12' along the ridge line, and 10' wide (3.6metres long x 3.0metres wide). Great for base camping, but heavier than the minimalist which is best for backpacking. The black mossie net is midge proof also, and easily seen through, so not much loss of view when using it. Much more view lost when you have a low set rain fly. I really advise that you try to get to the hammock forum meet that I linked. You will probably see (and be able to try) a variety of types . My conclusions, I have the Hennessy and it is very good, but I think that the WB is probably marginally better because of a) the foortbox, b) the shelf and c) ease of use of alternative suspension such as whoopie slings and straps with repelling rings. From what I have seen in vids and specs, UK Hammocks look to be just as good. Is DIY an option? as there are very good tutorials on Hammock Forums for making hammocks, suspension, and bug nets.
Just Jeff's Hiking Page http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
Is a great introduction to just about everything about hammocking

Elen Sentier

@Elen
I have used the Hennessy Expedition zip. If the description says "zip" it has a zip closed side entry. Otherwise it has velcro closed bottom entry. As sold here (USA) you can swap out the minimal diamond tarp for the hex tarp for an extra $25. This is enormous and gives mucho privacy and coverage. Its 12' along the ridge line, and 10' wide (3.6metres long x 3.0metres wide). Great for base camping, but heavier than the minimalist which is best for backpacking. The black mossie net is midge proof also, and easily seen through, so not much loss of view when using it. Much more view lost when you have a low set rain fly. I really advise that you try to get to the hammock forum meet that I linked. You will probably see (and be able to try) a variety of types . My conclusions, I have the Hennessy and it is very good, but I think that the WB is probably marginally better because of a) the foortbox, b) the shelf and c) ease of use of alternative suspension such as whoopie slings and straps with repelling rings. From what I have seen in vids and specs, UK Hammocks look to be just as good. Is DIY an option? as there are very good tutorials on Hammock Forums for making hammocks, suspension, and bug nets.
Just Jeff's Hiking Page http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
Is a great introduction to just about everything about hammocking

That is very helpful info, ta muchley. I'll be off to look at Jeff's page. Ive been on Hammock Forums for more info too, I'm unlikely to be making myself a hammock as arthritic hands would prob make a botch of it! as well as hurting, but am trying to get my head around all the ins-n-outs and tecky stuff. Now I know I like hanging I want it as good as I can :).

I'd love to get to Fish's meet but I'm going to Northwood that w/end! I'll be down to Bush Farm asap though ... there's toooooo much Life going on !!!

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

I done it !!! :red::red::red: ... I just bought a WBRR + Spindrift :hammock:

I think the gods were shoving me towards it as when I went on hammock forums there was this guy selling perzactly what I wanted. Then ... the necessary funds arrived unexpectedly in the bank account. And ... a friend is coming over from the US in July who will put it in her suitcase. So just sent the money off ... gulp!

I'm now like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for Judi to arrive with the kit - must calm down and not wish the summer away like that :rolleyes: We're going hanging on Dartmoor (thanks Ivan) for a few days so having 2 hammocks for a wee while will be handy so Judi can experience it with my DD which she's looking fwd to. After that the DD will be up for sale (only had 4 goes out - good hammock but not right for my body!) so if anyone wants it let me know.

Now I suppose I have to decide if I want a Cloudburst ... :11doh::11doh::11doh::why:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I ordered a ridgerunner last week it, going to pick it up tomorrow! Though I wont be able to use it till back home. The design inc lay are big ad advantages for me, especially like the idea of going back to a ccf pad for bottom insulation, increased flexibility and durability and saves me forking out for a new underblanket.

Ordered the single layer with bugnet, and as soon as I get it I'll be putting my whoopie slings and dynaglide structural ridgeline on it.

The disadvantage for me is I think i'm going to have to rethink my tarp selection. With my gathered end i've been squeezing under a golite poncho tarp set on the diagonal but thats not nearly going to give me enough coverage for the wide spreader bars on the WBRR, so Im going to be going back to my DD 3m2 tarp I think.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Well I got it strung up for a test hang today, only got about 5 minutes in it as I had no insulation and it aint hot today. First impressions are good - it's definately comfortable, and appears stable and spacious enough to lie on my side and fetal. Ofcourse I will have to hold off till I've slept in it to be sure. The headend spreader bar sure is wide ! I'm going to try and rig it with my diferent tarps when I get back home , pics to come chaps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE