Toboggan or Pulk that is the question ????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Talking with RedFox after our adventure we are thinking of designing a complete pulk package. A pulk base with an attached zip cover making it into a large hard bottomed bag. Then adding the "trolley dolly" wheels to the back so they only hit the floor if the nose of the pulk is lifted high up. Big haul loop on the front and Robert is your mothers brother !!

So you are saying you are going to add wheels to my pulka ? :D

rg598

Native
I personally dislike both approaches, and find that for any trip under 10 days to two weeks, a backpack is the best option. That being said however, when Weber and Malakhov made the first human powered round trip to the North Pole, they used two small sleds each. Actually, it was four sleds doubled up so that you would get two enclosed containers. They used just regular store bought kid's sleds.

5690490590_bf43d77889_b.jpg

That way the contents was safe if the sled turned over, the two enclosed sleds could be pulled in line together, or separated so they can be moved in relay over more difficult terrain. I also imagine the smaller sleds would be easier to pack. Anyway, I don't know if it is the best option for what you had in mind, but I thought it was interesting.

By the way, FWIW in their book, they also point out that on their failed 1992 attempt, a third member of their group tried to use a toboggan, which proved to be much less efficient than the sleds.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I personally dislike both approaches, and find that for any trip under 10 days to two weeks, a backpack is the best option.

You haven't seen how much kit these guys take with them Ross :)

I expect you're coming at it from a lightweight minimalist approach which isn't everyones idea of fun.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Talking with RedFox after our adventure we are thinking of designing a complete pulk package. A pulk base with an attached zip cover making it into a large hard bottomed bag. Then adding the "trolley dolly" wheels to the back so they only hit the floor if the nose of the pulk is lifted high up. Big haul loop on the front and Robert is your mothers brother !!

Have you seen the big foot bags? http://www.bigfootbag.com/

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I personally dislike both approaches, and find that for any trip under 10 days to two weeks, a backpack is the best option. That being said however, when Weber and Malakhov made the first human powered round trip to the North Pole, they used two small sleds each. Actually, it was four sleds doubled up so that you would get two enclosed containers. They used just regular store bought kid's sleds.

5690490590_bf43d77889_b.jpg

That way the contents was safe if the sled turned over, the two enclosed sleds could be pulled in line together, or separated so they can be moved in relay over more difficult terrain. I also imagine the smaller sleds would be easier to pack. Anyway, I don't know if it is the best option for what you had in mind, but I thought it was interesting.

By the way, FWIW in their book, they also point out that on their failed 1992 attempt, a third member of their group tried to use a toboggan, which proved to be much less efficient than the sleds.

A crossing of sea ice to the noth pole is a completely different environment though to what we tend to do though. It would be madness to attempt the crossing with a toboggan-they don't float and would have no benefit over a pulk on pack ice and hardpacked tundra.

Toboggans have been used for thousands of years by aboriginal North americans, modern version are almost identical in design but use modern plastics instead of wood. Hauling is much more efficient than carrying and efficiency is incredibly important.Its safe to say this way of doing things is well tested and thought through :)

Out of curiosity, why would you choose to carry over hauling? :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Even without a pack we were sinking 2' into powder snow with snowshoes on.

One reason for using a sled or toboggan is to take the weight off your footprint.

As for carrying more gear, the mixed requirements for clothing alone in a temperatures spanning from +10°c to -40°c demands a range of options and that is a challenge to load into any pack.

Add safety equipment, 3000 - 5000 calories of food per day and robust shelter materials and I'm quite happy I can drop it onto a sled of some kind.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
There are so many difrerent senarios that favour the tobogon and pulk and a lot of that dont favour them. I think it will be a good idea to look at a trip as a whole for example Packing,Traveling,Teran,How long you are out,Distances you will be traveling,That sort of thing then take the one that suits the best. Everyone is different and have different needs. If you are the type of person to carry a lot of gear than the tobogon,but if you like to cover a lot of distance and travel light than the pulk but thats another argument. I think there as good as each other but in different ways,so it will all depend on making a decission about the trip as a whole. Maybe make a list of all the things you will be doing then write next to each thing either ,tobogon or pulk then you will have the answer. I am going to make a pulk that way i can change from my tobogon if i need to. :) ... Also i think i like the idea of a pulk thats a rucksack with wheels but thats a project not yet started but it will solve a lot of probalems and save time geting started and packing for the return journey. Me and Dave both agree the pulk aproach is well worth a go on our next trip.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Either has got to be better than a 60lb rucksack. I'm going to make a 'boggan with removable stabilisers for side slope action

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I personally dislike both approaches, and find that for any trip under 10 days to two weeks, a backpack is the best option.

I hope you are thinking of a different kind of trip or different kind of terrain (if not, I must be a wuss). I don't see how you could take the gear and food you need to be safe in the Arctic for 10-14 days, carry it on your back and stay upright whilst on the move through the snow/Boreal forest. I for one would be in need of an AED within the first two miles :eek:

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I use the Paris Expedition pulk. It's only 2,5 kilos of very tough plastic material, and have been used on expeditions to the south pole and crossing greenland. And itæs certainly tough enough.

[video=youtube_share;lLAlNsVlBg8]http://youtu.be/lLAlNsVlBg8[/video]

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The Paris sleds are popular in the states, they look great and good value IMO for pure snow and ice work. :)

The HDPE material (either PE500 or PE300) used and moulded runners on the bottom are of a very similar design and thickness of plastic to the Snowsled pulk that Wayland used last year in Norway.

His runners wore through completely in the first week when he had to haul back along a road that had been gritted. :yikes: The sled was dead and needed gaffer taping.

Regardless of toboggan or pulk, PE1000/ UHMWPE is much harder wearing. Aggregate lorries have the steel bed lined with this stuff to stop the metal wearing out. It also the same plastic that the Snowmobile Moose/Elk drag sleds are made from.

The curved ball to all this is the ease that PE300 material is rolled up. The Black River toboggan uses HDPE. IIRC, Paul Kirtley used one last year in Sweden.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE