Snowsled Pulk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
So far I can't see what difference the bars would really make for my purposes and they make packing it on a flight much more of a problem.

As the rope slackens it tends to fall under the pulk and cause it to self arrest which stops it from running into the back of my legs.

Perhaps if I was skiing it would be different but the ropes seem fine to me.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Here is a description of Finnish ahkio (not "akja" as described on the text) used by Finnish Defence Forces during the War. The text is from German winter manual translated into English in 1943.

The light akja (figs. 78(3) and 79) is a flat sled made of plywood and shaped like a boat. In the side walls there are four holes for lashing the load and four for fastening the tarpaulin. It is used to transport small loads similar to those specified for the boat akja. The light akja is also towed by one to three skiers. Two trained dogs may also be used. The leading do must be on a lead. To stop and to steer the akja on steep inclines, a braking rope with a loop is attached to the rings in the rear.
c. Construction of Light Akja
To make a light akja, plywood consisting of three layers about 1½ inches thick is cut out as illustrated in figure 78 and put together with rivets. At the front a piece of board of plywood (five or more layers glued together) is riveted on. Two holes for the towropes are provided. These holes should be drilled as low as possible for greater ease in pulling the akja out of snow. The rear end is held together by a board and reinforced with a thin metal band. Two hooks are riveted to the top for the braking rope. Two hooks are riveted to the top for the braking rope. A strong plywood board or a plank on which the sled will slide is riveted to the bottom of the akja. To strengthen the akja, an iron band is riveted underneath on each side and three sheetmetal ribs are riveted to the inside. Four holes must be drilled on both sides to receive the lashing ropes. Before being bent, the wood should be soaked in water.
ahkio.jpg

ahkio2.jpg

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
army-pulk.jpg

Two rattan poles that go the whole lenght, you roll them together and tie a rope around. Not a bad system, it is less mess than a pure rope system, but can catch in bushy terrain

I've got one of these, British RM issue, I have the original label which states it's a 'Turistpulka NR 1' Nato stock No. A3/3920-99-130-2694

It's due for a service, I just oil the wood, and it looks like I need to make another harness as I seem to have lost mine, I will probably convert an old climbing harness.
It's also outpaced all other sledges at the local slope :)

forestwalker

I've got one of these, British RM issue, I have the original label which states it's a 'Turistpulka NR 1' Nato stock No. A3/3920-99-130-2694

Yes, these were a Segebaden model adapted for army use (heavier to be soldier proof)

It's due for a service, I just oil the wood, and it looks like I need to make another harness as I seem to have lost mine, I will probably convert an old climbing harness.
It's also outpaced all other sledges at the local slope :)

I just use a belt, but I have been thinking about adding the straps to make it a harness, probably remeovably (seat belt webbing, delrin buckles).

You want to tar it rather than oil it (ok, oil on the inside if you care to, but tar on the outside). Do it in summer, leave it out in the sun for a few days and you get a good surface.

As to the poles, it should be possible to make breakdown poles for ease of transport. On a steep downhill they will make a difference, but not for gentle terrain. Add an attachment point for a snub-line in the rear?

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Thanks Forest Walker,
I will have a think about the tar in the summer.

Yep, the poles do make a difference on the steep down hills, take-down ones would be handy.

Gailainne

Life Member
Nice idea Gary, we used old style, (wood, canvas) pulks on the winter WEISS course I did a few years back, very similar to forestwalkers, and they had poles rather than rope see pic
CIMG0005.jpg
it certainly helped control them on the paths thru the forest. BTW on the tarp, I had a large cordura flight bag that everything went into, on Woodys first BCUK arctic course, the one Cat was on, and the upvc pockets disintegrated in the -40 deg C temps.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Oh well spotted, they look very similar to the Paris sled which is popular for pulks in the US

The label on them says they are made in the US

Saw one in our local Halfords at £10, it was the "techno camo" colour, if anyone wanted it delivery to Rough Close next week would be possible ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE