Snowsled Pulk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I just made my pulk, thread here

IMAG0378.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I would like to a small and maybe insignificant notation when it comes to the difference between words pulk/pulkka and ahkio in Finnish language. Pulkka is used to haul people, while ahkio is used to haul equipment. Also in Northern Sami word bulki refers to a pulkka driven by a reindeer.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
So were actually dragging Ahkio's behind us Martin? :)

I'd assumed the word Pulk was correct as so many Scandinavians use the word too, in this context. Wikipaedia says on this(not that Its always right);

"A pulk (from Finnish pulkka)[1] is a Scandinavian short, low-slung small toboggan used in sport or for transport, pulled by a dog or a skier. The name of the sport is pulka. The sled can be used to carry supplies such as a tent or food, or transport a child or other person. In Norway, pulks are often used by families with small children on skiing trips (small children being pulled by the parents). More commonly, it is used to transport children when walking, or by the children for tobogganing downhill; this mode of transport requires a snow cover. Pulks are nowadays made of plastic, which makes them cheap to buy.

A larger pulk, designed for transporting larger amounts of goods, is called ahkio [ahkio] in Finnish. This word is also used by the US Army for a human-drawn snow sled." [Quote from Wikipaedia]

My thoughts are that the word 'Pulk' has been so widely adopted round the world as a man drawn load carrier with small runners for a person/equipment that its now been adopted into our vocabulary forever.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
My thoughts are that the word 'Pulk' has been so widely adopted round the world as a man drawn load carrier with small runners for a person/equipment that its now been adopted into our vocabulary forever.

While it is true that in 21st century Finnish the word pulkka is used to refer to a thing used by the children during the wintertime, it had a whole another meaning earlier. Compared to ahkio, Sámi's bulki has higher sides & back, and is shaped like a boat.

Bulki
sa010182.jpg

Ahkio or veturi ("locomotive")
su5115a.jpg

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for those pics Martin :)

The Bulki looks more like what I know as a Pulk and the Veturi looks closer to a toboggan with its low sides.

I was thinking earlier that calling these 'Gear or kit slides' would make sense, 'Locomotive' is equally descriptive.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Pulk.jpg

The hauling ropes are connected to aluminium brackets via loops of bungee cord that act as shock absorbers and this will attach to a tump / shoulder strap rather than a harness for convenience.

Quick question Gary

I've read on Snowsled that the Ice Blue comes with pre drilled hauling holes, did you think it needed stronger brackets or was it just to make the pole come away easier?

My ebay sledge arrived today so I'm just looking at ways I can make it stronger where the load is being pulled

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Quick question Gary

I've read on Snowsled that the Ice Blue comes with pre drilled hauling holes, did you think it needed stronger brackets or was it just to make the pole come away easier?

My ebay sledge arrived today so I'm just looking at ways I can make it stronger where the load is being pulled

Just a bit of basic physics really.

I wanted the transfer of force to be in a straight line to distribute the stress better.

I asked them not to drill the normal holes and I measured it all up when it arrived and made the brackets myself.

It seemed like the best approach to me but time will tell I guess.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Why cant you load your kit in a heavy duty survial bag one of these orenge things and pull that between camping locations?
I guess the pulk-a-awalla will protect your gear better,,,just a thougt:)
Twodogs

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think with a pulk you can steer it better and with minimal rails they track straighter, if you tried to tow a bothy bag across a slope you'd end up with it below you and pulling you off balance.

A plastic sled protects from rocks and tree roots better than a placcy bag too

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well, the weather has given me my first chance to try out my pulk.

Pulk-1.jpg

Loaded with about 30kg of mixed baggage in a couple of dry bags I took it up onto Crompton Moor for a try out.

It drew well with a simple strap and rope rig. I used a route offering varied conditions from level tracks to fairly steep rough ground.

The rope tends to slack on the down grades causing the sled to self arrest rather than slam into the back of my legs which is as I hoped.

She does ship some snow running through the fresh but not too badly.

Pulk-2.jpg

All in all a very successful little yomp. Warm work on the climbs and comfortable on level and decent.

It's pointed towards a couple of useful kit ideas and changes for the big trip.

forestwalker

Have you considered a "tub" of fabric (or a rectangular tarp, which is multi-use but more of a bother) to contain the gear? Keeps the snow off the kit, and makes it harder to lose stuff on the trail. A 2.5x1.5 m piece of fabric is ideal as roof over a trench type shelter.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Have you considered a "tub" of fabric (or a rectangular tarp, which is multi-use but more of a bother) to contain the gear? Keeps the snow off the kit, and makes it harder to lose stuff on the trail. A 2.5x1.5 m piece of fabric is ideal as roof over a trench type shelter.

I'm torn between the tarp wrapping and just using dry bags... Or maybe both...

sorry.. but is it just a strong sled?

Yes, a very strong sled made from material that does not become brittle at very low temperatures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE