STUPIDLY SIMPLE Midge Repel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've lived and fished on the west coast of Scotland all my life. Loch Lomond,Awe,Long,Fyne,Treig,Ossian etc.,and I've never came across a lotion or potion that will stop the dreaded highland midge. The midges up this way are all carrying flick-knives!! Deet,Autan,Jungle Formula, Citronella Oil,Skin-so-soft,local mud etc.....None of them work for me, or my associates. Maybe you've stumbled upon midge-repellent-gold but i'm sceptical!! When the water goes flat calm then cover up and tuck in your midge net! A nice smokey fire gives great relief.

There is a natural limit to any repellant, sitting still by a lough on a summers evening is beyond that limit. To be honest my product has a natural limit, I can garden, mow the lawn, go for a walk, in a evening I will fine wearing midge repel without a net, but sit still next to the stream during the same evening the midge within 10 minutes will find somewhere to bite. I have been bitten wearing deet and nordic summer in the same conditions, and had them getting down clothing or when I put a net on I got a few under the net. There is points if I want to sit still on some evenings I would have to light a fire.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
After having good results with the old formula, I'm about a week into the first tin of the new and it's at least as good, but easier/handier to use; it's a good many years since I got to this time of the year without a single bite, but I haven't had a single one yet, and I spend a lot of time every day with horses - even the chiggers have left me alone and that's unheard of.............This is Good Stuff!............atb mac

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
We have been thinking about making larger tins 30m that will effectively double the size, we are also looking at another product to repel ticks and chiggers,

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I have to confess I am rather developing a problem with this product. When I wake up I reach for the little tin even before my eyes have fully opened. I feel my pulse quicken as the first whiff reaches my nostrils. Then I pause; do I have sufficient excuse to repel midges today? Oh the disappointment if I realise I am to be in the office. But often I am elated to remember that job by the stagnant pond I have to deal with. Are you sure there's nothing addictive in that tin?
The idea of an after-shave is a good one (what better to put on your arms when you're sharpening your axe?) But perhaps better still would be fabric conditioner. Then my clothes would smell just how I like them when they came out of the washing machine. (Instead of just when they have to go in).
My experience with SSMR has been a great success (well, apart from the kids bug hunt, that was disappointing for them) and I strongly recommend it to anyone. I shall be ordering more very soon.
;-)

Z

xylaria

A tick'n'chigger jobby would be a holy and a wholesome thing!

I have been trying out neem oil based mixes. It seems to work on chiggers really well. My legs have been getting really munched on, very painful and really ichy hives. I havent had any new ones for the last two days and I have delibertly sat where I know they are. Neem however is worst smelling oil I have ever come across [think damp dog, rolled in sewage and rancid fat], it also makes the skin taste really bitter. It is used in sheep dip for organic farming, and as a herbal tick repellant. Neem is good stuff, it is just a bit of work getting a useable blend.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labours; the SSMR seems to have taken care of the chiggers for me, but I suspect they're not in full flow yet so that remains to be seen..........The biggy for me is the thoughts we're all having about Lymes - I've a friend in the horse world who contracted it about eighteen months ago and has had a seriously bad time of it. He, like me, is no spring chicken and has been told that because of his age combined with the delay in diagnoses it will never be over for him.............

Depressing stuff, I know, but not to be ignored apart from by the charmed or the fools!...............................atb mac

xylaria

the problem with tick repellants is that the product can't be tested on people, the risk is too high, we have had arguements on how you could say something might work without been tested. Neem doesnt kill ticks or chiggers, they just get confused and cant eat anything that has even slightest bit on it. It is an anti feedant. It doesnt seem to harm bees or pollunating insects either.

Lymes is terrifying.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I used this all weekend on the west coast of scotland and it worked well until i gralloched two deer and then the air turned into a black frenzy i had forgot to apply the smidge to my arms and when i rolled up my sleeves got eaten alive ,face and neck where the simply smidge had been applied was ok just my arms and my back where my shirt rode up on the drag back.
whoops must remember next time to apply everywhere but to be honest with a gralloched animal and the smell of blood i didnt think anything would stop those little things but it worked well where it was used,
will look forward to your tick potion and if you need someone to test it i am in a really high tick area so would be glad to find something that works ,atb wayne

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Be watching this....swmbo n I both came home with ticks this weekend....swmbos is bagged n tagged and currently residing in the freezer.....mine was tiny and I've left the head in :( just having another glass of Singleton before I knife it out.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
sounds good woodstock count me in for that and once perfected can you sort out those bloomin keds them things give me the kreeps, atb wayne

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Could you please PM the payment details.I'm after 4 tins before we venture up to Scotland later in July:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Gave this a go at the weekend and it worked a treat. Granted not a full field test yet but so far so good ;)

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I am waiting for the horsefly season to kick off here in France, that will be the real test for me as I react very badly to their bites. I will let you know the outcome. I also have just acquired some MyggA from Sweden and although it is made up of 20% deet, I want to make a comparison, I have used Skin So Soft before and it was very effective but I didn't like the smell.

Just as an aside, I have found that eating a very, very low sugar diet, like almost 0% sugar really does help with insects, I am not sure why, perhaps it has something to do with the sweetness of your sweat or blood? Any thoughts?

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Xylaria
After carting your tin about for 3 weeks, with not a midge in sight got to try it today.
With the ittle blighters out in force,It was applied spareingly to the exposed parts of the skin.
Then passed round the group of walkers I was out with.
6 out of 7 of us bite free with 1 eaten alive,
guess he didn't put enough on :lmao:
Bob

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I tested out my midge repel today for the first time. I went to check out my bees and this is the place I always get bothered and bitten by horse flies if I am not completely covered up. So I put the midge repel on my arms and face and had no bites. Now it maybe that there were no horseflies around this afternoon, but after seeing my bees I went for a walk and changed from long trousers to shorts but I forgot to put any midge repel on my legs. At the end of the walk, I had 3 horsefly bites on my legs, 0 on my arms and face (where the stuff was obviously still working).

This is just the first test, but so far, I am pleased with it, apart from the fact I now have three horsefly bites on my legs, I hope they don't swell up :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE