Rough Close ~ Midlands ~ September'11 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
presumably why it is called "rough close"

The origin of the name is lost :dunno: , but it's been known as Rough Close for the past few centuries. At one time, along with most of the surrounding area, it was part of the Forest of Arden and it's definately classed as ancient/semi-ancient replanted woodland. My comment of 'nothing much above head height' might have been a bit misleading :sad6: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As with many/most of our previous Meets, this Meet is open to Sales/Trades/swaps.
As ever, forum rules for sales/swaps/trades apply. The forum rules governing/guiding sales/swaps/trades are extended to cover scouting and the site ~ and, other than where I am a vested party, also extended to myself.

It is easier all round if we set a time and place to do swaps/trades/sales ~ we'll let you know when and where at Saturday Morning Prayers :cool:

Sales/Swaps/Trades:

John Fenna ~ probably too much to list efficently (hide your funds)
decorum ~ a few odds and ends

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As with many/most of our previous Meets, this Meet is open to Sales/Trades/swaps.
As ever, forum rules for sales/swaps/trades apply. The forum rules governing/guiding sales/swaps/trades are extended to cover scouting and the site ~ and, other than where I am a vested party, also extended to myself.

It is easier all round if we set a time and place to do swaps/trades/sales ~ we'll let you know when and where at Saturday Morning Prayers :cool:

Sales/Swaps/Trades:

Everthing from leather pouches to a canvas "comando" style rucksack - could well be an antique! - via boots and clothing :)
About 100 litres worth of gear!
I am all packed and ready to roll - c'mon friday!

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
It is easier all round if we set a time and place to do swaps/trades/sales ~ we'll let you know when and where at Saturday Morning Prayers

Sales/Swaps/Trades:

TinkyPete ~ a few bits and bots too :)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Is saturday morning prayers a eupherism or actual prayers? Is rough close a religeous meet? And is there a primary denomination or more importantly, denominations or faiths that you would prefer did not attend? Just wanted to check I'm not misunderstanding, I love to see/ be with folk with faith but would it make regulars feel uncomfortable if I didn't join prayers....

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Is saturday morning prayers a eupherism or actual prayers? Is rough close a religeous meet? And is there a primary denomination or more importantly, denominations or faiths that you would prefer did not attend? Just wanted to check I'm not misunderstanding, I love to see/ be with folk with faith but would it make regulars feel uncomfortable if I didn't join prayers....

Far from religious. It is getting a bit confusing though and I've been going regularly for over two years! Just turn up and do your thing within the rules and everything will be grand. It isn't as rule intense as it looks on here, Phil's just covering everything just in case as is the norm thesedays. No need to even turn up for the morning briefing if you fancy a lie in. Don't read too much into this, it'll be a relaxing weekend in the woods!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I might be bringing my waterstones in Cliff, if you have any knives or straight razors that need sharpening bring them along...

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Back early from Cornwall so I'll be there. :)

Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC +1 guest (TBC)
Sasquatch
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + 1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
luckylee and maybe my son. kian.
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune
Cvtwoodlife
stoked_uk
Karl82
TurboGirl & son (possibly HWMBO TBC
Bodge and Adam (possibly swmbo tbc)
FruitBatInShades
Cliv
Laurentius
MartinK9

Sales/Swaps/Trades:

TinkyPete ~ a few bits and bots too
MartinK9 - woodlores

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Is saturday morning prayers a eupherism or actual prayers?

It's just a euphemism, like 'The Naughty Corner' it's a term that has been grabbed from (I believe) the BcUK Moot.

It is getting a bit confusing though and I've been going regularly for over two years!

Yup, can't disagree :eek: . It's the late inclusion of the workshops which is causing the issue ~ that and we haven't got prior experience of working through the issues to make it seem organised :eek: .

It isn't as rule intense as it looks on here, Phil's just covering everything just in case as is the norm thesedays.

Again, as Chad says, it's a relaxing weekend in the woods and, in part, I'm butt covering :lmao: :eek: ~ unfortunately some of the guidelines/rules have needed inclusion due to Meet attendees 'forgetting' that they're not on site alone and can't just do what they want :( .

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC +1 guest (TBC)
Sasquatch
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + 1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC
Freedom Phil
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune
Cvtwoodlife
stoked_uk
Karl82
FruitBatInShades
Cliv
Laurentius
MartinK9

Sales/Swaps/Trades:

MartinK9 - woodlores
Twodogs - woodland edge fire box

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thanks for the clarification guys, most reassuring =) Have got 2 working prototypes of underquilts and a backup tent so am reaaaalllllly looking forward to it!

Whats the score with 'workshops' then? Announced at the saturday morning meetup to take bookings or are they much more informal than that, just kinda drop in round a fire type things?

Apologies for the millions of questions but I wanna be a welcome member rather than a pain in the **** liability to BCUK, you deserve as much consideration as uz noobs can give with all the help n support you give us.... much gratitude!

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks for the clarification guys, most reassuring =)

No worries, they're good questions and they're helping me get my head around ideas for future Meets :cool: .

Whats the score with 'workshops' then? Announced at the saturday morning meetup to take bookings or are they much more informal than that, just kinda drop in round a fire type things?

A little over a week ago it was decided to do scheduled rather than the more usual impromptu workshops and we haven't had time to get the ins-and-outs properly sorted :eek: ~ the Old Hands (members of the social group*) have been invited to a meeting on the Friday evening and, at this meeting, we'll be sorting out the what/when/where/how many in a session etc details then.

The Saturday morning meeting (Morning Prayers) is to let everyone know what was decided ~ plus a few other bits and pieces of info ~ so the workshops will be announced at the meeting and, depending upon the Old Hands decisions of Friday eve, spaces will either be made as a workshop is announced or after the Morning Prayers have finished and people will be pointed in the direction of each person they need to see to get a space on a workshop.

There won't be a mad mass of workshops ~ I just want to set a format for dealing with this which will need a minimum of tweaking as we go along ;) whilst attempting to not cause too much of an excess of confusion :eek: :lmao:.

I've no doubt that there'll also be the usual on the spot/impromtu workshops going on as well.

Have got 2 working prototypes of underquilts and a backup tent so am reaaaalllllly looking forward to it!

:27:
Shh! you'll end up doing a show and tell ;) .

Apologies for the millions of questions but I wanna be a welcome member rather than a pain in the **** liability to BCUK, you deserve as much consideration as uz noobs can give with all the help n support you give us.... much gratitude!

No worries ~ asking questions helps to align thoughts and aids forward momentum :cool: .

* I must remember to PM Martin :p .

Sep 3, 2009
NUNEATON
Please put me on the list phil have not workout how to yet. I will get there .Thanks Woodland Scout Paul .

PS Steve .I have your rope and Figure 9 Carabiner you left it behind ,found it Tuesday. I think its off the shute.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Meet List:

decorum
Mesquite +1
udamiano
Wayland and Debs
PeterH TBC
Priam TBC +1 guest (TBC)
Sasquatch
Elines
Spikey DaPikey TBC
Twodogs
MJM1
Lupin rider + 1
Treadlightly
TinkyPete TBC
John Fenna
Muddy Boots
Bayleaf
Ozzy TBC
Andy2112 (TBC)
Beamdune
Cvtwoodlife
stoked_uk
Karl82
FruitBatInShades
Cliv
Laurentius
MartinK9
Woodland Scout

Sales/Swaps/Trades:

MartinK9 - woodlores
Twodogs - woodland edge fire box

Job_Done.gif
and the Fig 9 might be mine.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE