Rabbit skin - now what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
A while ago I found a dead rabbit, and thought I might have a go at doing something with the hide. So I skinned it, scraped it (perhaps too much!), pinned it to a board and salted it. Problem was this was winter, so even though it was in the shed it pretty much stayed as moist as it was when I pinned it up. I had expected it to decay disgustingly - no loss there - or dry. So I pretty much decided it was a gonner and left it there.

Found it again today - and it was dry! A bit mouldy, perhaps, but the fur side is still in good condition. It has a few holes, but there is an untouched patch in the middle. Due to my overenthusiastic scraping it's pretty thin in places also.

It's not pretty, but you can see the mould (and some rust from the nails!) here.

CIMG0723_sm.jpg

CIMG0727_sm.jpg

CIMG0733.jpg

So now what? Do I have to work it back and forth? I am afraid it will break. Wondering also if I can clean up the fur side and sugar soap the inside. Just wondering what I can salvage. Even if I don't use it it will be a good experiment.

Cheers.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Try soaking it in warm soapy water to remove the salt. Not sure what to do about the mold. Maybe a little bleach and water. Not to much though. I usually let mine dry just a bit after washing in the soapy water, and then while they are still damp and soft, rub Neat's Foot oil into them and let them sit for about a week. Then wash them again in warm soapy water. They usually come out pretty good after that. Hope this helps.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Wash in warm water to remove any salt. Then make up a solution of liquid soap and neatsfoot oil 50/50 - Ecover washing up liquid works well.

Rub some of this solution into the flesh side and let it penetrate right in. Leave it for a day or so then rinse in clean lukewarm water. Wring it out well then dry by rubbing the pelt back and forth over the back of a chair in a warm place. This will break down te collagen in the skin and give you a soft pelt.

The soap/neatsfoot oil does exactly the same as brains in braintanning, so can be used on any pelt, or if you dehair the skin and scape away the epidermis, you get buckskin.

Eric

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Eric_Methven said:
Wash in warm water to remove any salt. Then make up a solution of liquid soap and neatsfoot oil 50/50 - Ecover washing up liquid works well.

Rub some of this solution into the flesh side and let it penetrate right in. Leave it for a day or so then rinse in clean lukewarm water. Wring it out well then dry by rubbing the pelt back and forth over the back of a chair in a warm place. This will break down te collagen in the skin and give you a soft pelt.

The soap/neatsfoot oil does exactly the same as brains in braintanning, so can be used on any pelt, or if you dehair the skin and scape away the epidermis, you get buckskin.

Eric

...well I'll be a monkey's uncle... I'm gonna try that on the next pine martin I come across!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Don't know mate, I've never tried that mix. If you already have them, go ahead and try. What's it going to cost you? A minging skin if it doesn't work, and a pelt if it does.

Eric

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
The trouble with rabbit skins, at least United States rabbits, is that they are very thin an subject to tearing.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I wouldn't recommend Sugar Soap - there is no Soap in it - and it's very strongly alkaline and can be quite an irritant. Suggest you nip out for the ecover and neatfoots oil... :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE