Dried rabbit biltong jerky for bait on trap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 31, 2018
London
I bait my stoat traps with fresh rabbit but in warm/hot weather it goes off too quickly .

Does anyone have method for making dried rabbit meat? Wifey suggested it would involve salting it slightly than drying in a low temperature oven??? What about vinegar and honey?

Or what about using strips of pork rind or chicken as an alternative to rabbit.

I prefer to make it myself rather than use the Erayz product.

• Angry
Reactions: Broch

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
easiest thing is to try it.
Beef/venison biltong is made with salt to draw moisture and antimicrobial, vinegar is taste and antibacterial, pepper helps keep flies away if dried outdoors (in Africa)
I made beef biltong in a low oven with the door ajar.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I bait my stoat traps with fresh rabbit but in warm/hot weather it goes off too quickly .

Does anyone have method for making dried rabbit meat? Wifey suggested it would involve salting it slightly than drying in a low temperature oven??? What about vinegar and honey?

I’d just stick thin strips of it in the oven (can keep it slightly open) at approx 70-80C for a few hours.

Rubbing a bit of beef (or other animal) dripping on it will give off a nice smell without mould becoming an issue.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Broch Yes indeed. Most of these prey species have survived predation since long before the arrival of the naked monkey.

One of the foresters in Delamere hated magpies because they were predators. He seemed to think he was protecting songbirds but it sounded much more like some sort of misplaced revenge

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Most of us do not live in a natural environment though, so I'm not going to lecture someone on pest control unless I have a good understanding of the area in question.

Here for example magpies do seem to be a huge problem. They seem to build up numbers scavenging on farms. Last year I counted over 20 in a single tree as I drove past and some days there's over a dozen where we sometimes put food out for the birds. I often see large groups working the hedges and raiding nests. I don't regard their numbers as natural.

Stoats round here on the other hand don't seem to seem to have much that would artificially increase their numbers so I'm happy to have them about. I can also see why ground nesting birds need to be protected because so much habitat for them is being lost. Old pasture is being ploughed up, silaging is being increasingly intensified so there's a huge loss of habitat.

Reactions: British Red

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Stoats round here on the other hand don't seem to seem to have much that would artificially increase their numbers so I'm happy to have them about. I can also see why ground nesting birds need to be protected because so much habitat for them is being lost. Old pasture is being ploughed up, silaging is being increasingly intensified so there's a huge loss of habitat.

And that's the nail and the head - habitat loss is what we need to concentrate on (click on the link below :) )

We don't go around shooting blue tits and flycatchers to protect our declining butterfly and moth species. We have a very distorted conservation views in this country and every time we try to intervene we cause more problems.

Reactions: Pattree and nigelp

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Seems OP probably has a problem with too many stoats and is legally allowed to trap them as pest control. I'm hesitant to start judging them for how they're handling a situation I myself am not in.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If he has a ground nesting bird predation problem in London I'd be surprised if it's stoats to be honest. If there are stoats there are prey species in suitable numbers to support the population - that's how it works.

You can use a general licence to trap stoats to conserve the following wild birds:
  • game birds in situations when they’re vulnerable to stoat predation
  • native species of waders
  • other native ground nesting birds
But not because they eat voles, mice, rabbit ....

Reactions: Pattree and Kepis

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

The answer on must suitable bait depends very much on the trap type. DOC allow different baits to A24s for example. What type of trap & containment are you employing. That should allow me more informed answer to the best bait

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE