point of a survival kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Tobacco also suppresses appetite and can ease an asthma attack. Also, as a part of its neurotoxin effect it can slightly enhance brain function for a few minutes. Of course if you usually smoke you'll be gasping too much to appreciate it and if you're a non smoker you'll be trying not to throw up but still.....

I know it's off topic, but I can't help replying. Yeah, it's important to chill out, but smoking will, in a low water situation, dehydrate you due to the fact that you have to humidify your exhaled breath. You'd be amazed how much water that takes over time.

I keep my survival tin in my pocket, with my knife, steel and compass. This way, if I lose my pack for whatever reason, I have all I need to survive for days if needs be.

Phones are useful until they aren't and just because you're lost, doesn't mean that you'll be found tonight, and if it's cold, you could end up in bad shape. I have lost count of how many people have had their phone run out of batter on the first day cos they take tons of photos. As techy devices, you can't rely on them if they get wet, crushed or even too hot.

It's easy to be glib because most of us won't find ourselves in a genuine survival situation, but the day any of us do, is the day that we'll be thankful for the skills we have and any kit we happen to have.

As people have mentioned, preparation is important. I always leave my plan with my car if I'm going far, for instance.

If you want to be super sure, just carry a personal locator beacon. Pretty bullet proof and you'll be rescued within hours from most locations in the world.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I know it's off topic, but I can't help replying. Yeah, it's important to chill out, but smoking will, in a low water situation, dehydrate you due to the fact that you have to humidify your exhaled breath. You'd be amazed how much water that takes over time.

I keep my survival tin in my pocket, with my knife, steel and compass. This way, if I lose my pack for whatever reason, I have all I need to survive for days if needs be.

Phones are useful until they aren't and just because you're lost, doesn't mean that you'll be found tonight, and if it's cold, you could end up in bad shape. I have lost count of how many people have had their phone run out of batter on the first day cos they take tons of photos. As techy devices, you can't rely on them if they get wet, crushed or even too hot.

It's easy to be glib because most of us won't find ourselves in a genuine survival situation, but the day any of us do, is the day that we'll be thankful for the skills we have and any kit we happen to have.

As people have mentioned, preparation is important. I always leave my plan with my car if I'm going far, for instance.

If you want to be super sure, just carry a personal locator beacon. Pretty bullet proof and you'll be rescued within hours from most locations in the world.

I've never crushed or dropped a phone in water, I take a spare battery and a camera for pictures.

If you don't smoke fill your baccy tin with boiled sweets, much more useful than fishing line in the UK:lmao: Don't you have more stuff in your pockets than you would have in a little tin? Folding knife? lighter or two? button torch on your keychain? small packet of tissues? bag of sweets?

Google "rescue team track man via mobile phone" some interesting results in just how important mobile phones have now become.

I've never crushed or dropped a phone in water, I take a spare battery and a camera for pictures.

The batteries and camera are sensible but just because something's not happened before, doesn't mean it will not happen in the future.

If you don't smoke fill your baccy tin with boiled sweets, much more useful than fishing line in the UK:lmao: Don't you have more stuff in your pockets than you would have in a little tin? Folding knife? lighter or two? button torch on your keychain? small packet of tissues? bag of sweets?

I tend not to carry purification straw, sewing stuff, wire and fishing gear, etc. in my pockets. It's easier to fish for birds than it is for fish in most parts of the UK :)

Google "rescue team track man via mobile phone" some interesting results in just how important mobile phones have now become.

Anything that makes you easier to find is important. Just remember that your signal will not always be the best in remote areas. It's all well and good carrying a phone with GPS in it, but if you can't get a signal, you can't tell anyone where you are or be tracked.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why do you need fishing and trapping kit? you ain't going to starve in the UK before rescue and better to have a phone than not.:lmao:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
But you won't starve in the UK anytime of the year, sod fishing, eat the sweeties you have in your pocket, light a fire if your in the woods and wait for the help you summoned on your phone or rescue beacon:)

These little kits are just a bit of fun for the UK, don't take them seriously, they are something you put together one night at home when you get bored then put in a draw and forget about.

I think rik's point is that starvation takes weeks to kill you - you will either have found help/been found or died of hypothermia before you really need to start worrying about finding food if you are lost or benighted in the UK

I'm not planning to die of hypothermia under any circumstances!!!

Just because you don't need to eat for a few weeks, doesn't mean you don't have to.

Small things in a survival tin can make an awful lot of difference to a few days. If you've ripped your waterproof, for instance, a bit of tape or a needle and thread are going to be potential life savers in savage weather.

Water purification tables, wire or string, a whistle, a saw, a mirror. All these things are potential life savers or at least make life significantly easier in a genuine survival situation.

Sure, if you know you've walked from a road for an hour and then you get lost, then you're not going to be out very long. But in my book, that's not a genuine survival situation. Well, unless it really buckets down with snow or there is an injury involved.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
May you never end up lost in a terrible fog in the middle of the Highlands with no phone signal.

You may now have the last word :)

Steve, may none of us ever be. Under those circumstances survival would be down to not dying of dehydration or hypothermia, as opposed to starvation. A serious and genuine question here, I've not read the contents of your kit so please don't think I'm being "smarmy".

Under the circumstances you describe, what items would keep you alive in your kit, and how?

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
this is definately a good thread.
imho the best survival kit anyone can have is with all of us all the time...brain , 5 senses and hands. however a few well chosen tools make a spledid addittion . for example i always have about my person this little lot
leatherman supertool
lighter and ciggies
para cord key thingy
torch on my key thingy
watch/compass/thermometer
and my little tin containing a firesteel,very small sak,diamond knife sharpener,leatherman micra,survival card,neddle,razor blade and a small pair of nail clippers
lee

Last edited:
Under the circumstances you describe, what items would keep you alive in your kit, and how?

The wire could be used to bind branches if no suitable Y shaped sticks or withies, etc. were available. This might help me make a rudamentry shelter with my jacket, which has a huge moral boost, gives a feeling of safety and would act as a heat reflector. The fire, given crappy weather, could be lit with the dry tinder, using steel or matches, and the candle is useful if fine starting fuel if sparse or hard to find. The saw has obvious uses in shelter building and fire lighting, though I hardly need to use a saw generally.

The rip I got in my jacket could be mended with thread and finished with plastic tape. But since it's now pissing down, I'll use a safety pin a as a temp fix. Plaster (or cloth and tape) and pain killer could be use for the cut I got (god I'm unlucky).

The dry tinder could instead be used as the basis of a signal fire, since someone will be coming looking, as I've logged a plan, even though I diverged from it to photograph what I thought was a wolf. The heligraph or even metal lid could also be used for signalling. Whistle too.

The plastic bag could be used to contain a decent quantity of water, even if it was drawn from moisture in the air. This could then be treated with a tablet. Alternatively the water treatment straw could be used ad hoc, but this is not so simple.

The wire saw can be used in conjunction with cord to bring down high branches which may be laden with fruit. This may be the only way to detach a decent standing dead branch for firewood. Avoiding climbing trees is a good thing, especially with a sprained ankle I got myself (my oh my).

Being not super sure where I am (how unlike me), I'm not going far, even with a small compass (though I have a real one in my pocket). I head down to the lake to try for a fish or wild fowl with the fishing kit, not only bacuase it passes the time. I'll use the small sharp knife to prepare any game because it's clean. I can use the tin to cook it in if I really want to, but we're not going to be here for long. I could leave a note with the waterproof paper and the pencil if I really want to. Alternarively, I could make up a crossword.

The tin is better served as a pot to make a hot drink before bed to keep the old core warm. It's a ballache to make tea any other way. Also good for mixing remedies for tummy pains, say. Even a rehydrating drink with the salt would be useful is water is short.

There are other uses, obviously.

Even without half of these disasterous coincidences, some of this kit will be useful and potentially life saving. Since you never know which bit, you might as well take it all. Since some of if is very small, and could be useful in SOME environments, it's just as well keep them in.

Sure a lot of this could have been done with a knife, a steel and shoe laces, but who needs hard work when it's yacking it down?

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
I am always suprised that most PSKs are not the best arranged for short term looking after yourself as per the rough rule of 3's; 3 min without air, 3 hrs from hypothermia, 3 days water and 3 weeks food.

I'd have thought that you would really want some form of emergency bivvy bag, then lighter, tinder then kinfe and cordage. First aid materials etc. One of the uses for a snare could be an emergency torniquet - ouch and oops, and duct tape drawing pins etc.

Boiled sweets seem a good idea to have too, was speaking to some RAF survival instructors and they said the ones they had in their aircrew survival kits had twice the energy of 'normal' bioled sweets.

On the military aspect, I wonder how many have used them on operations so to speak as opposed to just making a brew. I am sure that anyone left behind in Helmand wouldn't be lighting a fire for obvioous reasons and Phil Ashby the Marines officer who escaped and evaded in Africa (unscathed) I think would have just used the water purification aspect. Likewise in Bravo Two Zero I cannot recall any of them using their PSKs as all the kit they needed was on their belt orders. So PSKs seem a bit of a military comfort blanket, good for peace of mind when thinking about being all alone and no doubt useful if required.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The one and only 'survival kit in a metal box' I have ever made was based on the instructions found in the 'Survival the Fireball Way' survival wallet given away free with the 'Bullet' comic.

Bullet2.jpg

I was ten. :)

As rik_uk3 has said...

These little kits are just a bit of fun for the UK, don't take them seriously, they are something you put together one night at home when you get bored then put in a draw and forget about.

In the UK (and in many other parts of the world) your choice of clothing and footwear along with the head on your shoulders will provide you with your best chance of getting through an unfortunate turn of events.

IMHO :)

Last edited:
PSKs are a bunch of versatile kit. It's your actions that follow the rule of threes. The kits are small to be pocket sized. Start adding a bivvy and it'll end up in your rucksack. Cordage is useful and I always wondered why there wasn't some in standard kits. Then I realised it's because most cordage needs can be made naturally and small stuff can be done with wire, which is in the kit.

Wire would certainly cut into your leg before it stopped you bleeding. You're best using your belt.

Boiled sweets of that nature sound like something you want for an energy boost if you need to run. They don't sound like food.

You can light fires and not be seen, we teach it on .... other courses :)

Phil Ashby survived due to his PSK, the fact that he didn't use all of it doesn't not mean it wasn't useful. The kits is designed to be useful in ALL circumstances.

If and when you bump into Lofty Wiseman, ask him to tell you why he keeps his parang off his webbing and his PSK in his pocket. His answer will be along the lines of "Well son ... when you've just made contact with the enemy and you're running like ****, the second thing you drop after your bergen is your webbing, then you can run faster".

Let's imagine that we have a room full of people who had found themselves in a genuine survival situation. How many of them would prefer to have a small PSK?

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
PSKs are a bunch of versatile kit. It's your actions that follow the rule of threes. The kits are small to be pocket sized. Start adding a bivvy and it'll end up in your rucksack. Cordage is useful and I always wondered why there wasn't some in standard kits. Then I realised it's because most cordage needs can be made naturally and small stuff can be done with wire, which is in the kit.

Wire would certainly cut into your leg before it stopped you bleeding. You're best using your belt.

Boiled sweets of that nature sound like something you want for an energy boost if you need to run. They don't sound like food.

You can light fires and not be seen, we teach it on .... other courses :)

Phil Ashby survived due to his PSK, the fact that he didn't use all of it doesn't not mean it wasn't useful. The kits is designed to be useful in ALL circumstances.

If and when you bump into Lofty Wiseman, ask him to tell you why he keeps his parang off his webbing and his PSK in his pocket. His answer will be along the lines of "Well son ... when you've just made contact with the enemy and you're running like ****, the second thing you drop after your bergen is your webbing, then you can run faster".

Let's imagine that we have a room full of people who had found themselves in a genuine survival situation. How many of them would prefer to have a small PSK?

I agree that PSKs are versatile, a bit like a toolkit. You could say that being able to make it with just that / possibles kit it is acme of skill, bare minimum of equipment and max improvisation. I have a very lightweight survival bag that doesn't take up too much space. A watertight windproof shelter is very hard to improvise quickly in all places, eg out in moorland but would be a very good to augment a natural built shelter.

As for the boilies the way they were used was as a short term energy boost just before a task, eg gathering wood. I take your point about the snare cutting into flesh and see how they could be used as to lash a structure etc.

Most people would want one in extremis but the lack of waterproof shelter puts me off, perhaps that should be in another pocket. Fire lighting does seem very risky in a 'normal' E&E scenario as opposed to suvival.

Maybe look at having a neck chain of braided paracord with SAK, Fire steel or lighter, compass or attached to the jacket and then a tin with other items maybe wrapped in thin survival bag or kite string.

Will have a play at home, good discussion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE