Next Midlands Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Yeah, get a satnav :) the M5 then M6 looks like a rather circuitous route.

Being serious though, google earth recons M42, A45, A452, and Tom Tom agrees. Total distance only 28 miles

Cheers T1tch, looks like M42 for me then, thanks. BTW got satnav and it takes me all over the shop TBH that's why i thought of going down the M42 which should be a bit quieter mid afternoon than M6.:approve: see you there mate.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Due to a bit of hassle with holiday cottages my parents are now going away on the weekend of the meet, so I no longer have a lift :( . Is there anyone ells from around Shrewsbury going who I could snag a lift from? Or is there a feasible way to do it via public transport?

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Due to a bit of hassle with holiday cottages my parents are now going away on the weekend of the meet, so I no longer have a lift :( . Is there anyone ells from around Shrewsbury going who I could snag a lift from? Or is there a feasible way to do it via public transport?
If you can get yourself to Coventry Station for Friday afternoon / evening I can pop over and collect you.

Train from Shrewsbury to Coventry is about 90 mins (change at Wolverhampton).

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
At the moment the site is a bit ... wet. The local soil is clay based so 'propper' footwear might be a good idea (just ask firecrest - and the site was drier then :D :yikes: :27: :sad6: )

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Can we change site if it is too water logged or is it sink or swim

You know, my £12 shoe market boots are far outlasting the expensive walking boots I got from Blacks. Just shows that money doesnt equal quality.

Does anybody have any idea of the temperatures? I got a nice warm sleeping bag this time, but I may bring some fleece blankets.

How good is polyester for keeping a person warm? I was looking through charity shops for wool blankets or jumpers but the majority are polyester.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands

Witchdoctor,

If you can get yourself to the Stourbridge area or the Black Country area by train i can give you a lift right to campsite mate, if you do, let me know, and i'll take my son's car seat out. I am thinking of setting off around midday/1:00 pm ish. :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Can we change site if it is too water logged or is it sink or swim

The pitch should be fine (It's certainly big enough to find dry bits :D ) but parts of the site itself are likely to remain 'moist' for a while. It was more of a cautionary note for those who are likely to stumble around in the dark
scared0016.gif
or fall into ditches :p
scared0018.gif

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Will we be able to get the Clarke Cabin drinking tap switched on again?

Made life a bit easier (although George seemed happy filling up his lifesaver bottle from whichever pond happens to be nearby!) :yikes:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands

Made life a bit easier (although George seemed happy filling up his lifesaver bottle from whichever pond happens to be nearby!) :yikes:

is that the only source of water close by ? that's were we unloaded isn't it ?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

Other than during periods of very cold weather, all outside taps should work. The reason that the tap wasn't working was because, although people knew, no one had informed the site :( . Because we made the effort to inform the site the tap was fixed to the benefit of all :cool: .

Aug 31, 2008
Stratford upon Avon
Guys,

Would you please let me now when the next meet is? I am South Warwickshire based and the usual familiy commitments means i shall have to give some notice?

Where do you normally meet anyway? I can't find any landowners down here who will give me "official" permission for any access?

anyone got any tips?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As I put 'em together I'm probably in the best position to answer ....

Would you please let me now when the next meet is?

No idea yet - not very helpful, but honest :eek: . We usually have a Meet every couple of months - this one will be our sixth in under a year.

I am South Warwickshire based and the usual familiy commitments means i shall have to give some notice?

An understandable and very common occurance. We try to set dates that accommodate as many as we can but, unfortunately, most Meets clash with other commitments for some folk.

Where do you normally meet anyway?

We usually use the same location - although it's privately owned, our Meets have permission to book dates.

I can't find any landowners down here who will give me "official" permission for any access?

anyone got any tips?

Others can give far better advice on this one. The best advice I can give is to do a quick search of the site, something along the lines of 'gaining permission' (or the like) should get you some very good advice - certainly better than I can give :eek: .

Hope this helps.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Here's the 10day forecast for Coventry.

Looks like it's going to remain dry for the rest of the week with it dipping down to around 9 or 10degs so fingers crossed we ought to be ok :)

soubds like it might actually be warmer than when I came in May, I remember the temperature dipped very low one night, and I was unprepared. Thats a good thing though - as its a lesson learnt!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE