Mocotaugan...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
Howdy
I can barely spell it, let alone try to say it. Has anyone got any good sources for these?
I have looked but there seems very little available this side of the pond, without it costing a fair bit
Many thanks

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Had to look up that as I had never heard of it before but when I googled it the pics showed what was similar to a crrok knife but it was longer and flatter. I am sure that I have seen one being used before on the Ray Mears programme where he help build the birch bark canoe. I think that the guy he was building it used one.

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
I've used one a while back and much preferred it to the mora one that I once owned.

I LOVE the mountain man/long hunter era and feel this would have been a likely tool to have been used.

Thanks for the links, off to go look see.....

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
you looking for me? :naughty:

I have made them on occasion, but only to order. I don't like them myself. I think they are a flawed tool that doesn't work nearly as well as other job specific tools (ie hooked knife, straight knife and drawknife). But that's just me. If folk are willing to pay me to make them something then who am I to argue? :D

I can do just the blade for you or a complete tool, either way it'll be a month or two until I get to it.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
They still make them in Sheffield, if its the long bladed job with a gentle hook on the end you are after like they made for the US market.

http://www.eggintongroup.co.uk/brands/george-wostenholm/trade-knives/kyack-shaping-knife.html

Years ago I talked them into selling me two blades before they had put the secondary bevel on underside which you need to remove if you want to get them scary sharp.

Once you get used to the slicing action, using all the flat to cut, they are great tools. If you can clamp a job your still better off with a proper draw knife but if you only have one hand to hold the tool the other holding the job, it's better.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
They still make them in Sheffield, if its the long bladed job with a gentle hook on the end you are after like they made for the US market.

http://www.eggintongroup.co.uk/brands/george-wostenholm/trade-knives/kyack-shaping-knife.html

Years ago I talked them into selling me two blades before they had put the secondary bevel on underside which you need to remove if you want to get them scary sharp.

Once you get used to the slicing action, using all the flat to cut, they are great tools. If you can clamp a job your still better off with a proper draw knife but if you only have one hand to hold the tool the other holding the job, it's better.

ATB

Tom
Thanks to bear, I will be contacting them too. I like the pack-ability of them. There's nearly no weight or size to them so there wouldn't be an excuse to not always carry it. I much prefer tools with lore around them too

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I made my own a few years back, from an old file:

It took a couple of goes to get the handle right for "me" but after that, it became the tool I used most for a whole range of cutting and carving tasks, and I still use it a lot.

Steve

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
I think that Duncan of Dorset Woodland Blades was making them, he's also known as FGYT on here.
Oh, thank you very much, will try an spot him out...

The Ben Orford looks real nice, found a vid on you tube and I can wait to get one back in my hands

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
I made my own a few years back, from an old file:

It took a couple of goes to get the handle right for "me" but after that, it became the tool I used most for a whole range of cutting and carving tasks, and I still use it a lot.

Steve

That looks gorgeous. Did you use a belt linisher to get you cutting profile or hand file?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here's the blade I got from them that I handled, I still have the second blade wrapped up in a drawer although I doubt i'll ever ware this one out.

CrookedKnife1_zps7be4ff43.jpg

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE