Alternatives to DMT Diafold sharpener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The DMT Diafold double sided red/blue has been my sharpener of choice for many years. The quality is excellent, the key aspects being good adhesive for holding the grit on the sharpener and also a truly even particle size.

However, I’ve lost one, and the other is now feeling pretty smooth in the middle of the coarse side and it’s not cutting as well as it used to.

Anyone got any recommendations for a diamond sharpener? I like to use them like a file rather than moving the blade across the stone.

Could do with being a fair bit cheaper than the DMT also.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Dunno but I'll tag onto this thread cos I have a Diafold that I've had for yonks and although it's not the only diamond hone I own it is very handy for penknives and so on.
As there's others for me to use it doesn't get full time usage, but I bought in 1999 and I'm still using it so IIRC it was about 30 quid so has been excellent value.
It feels pretty smooth to the touch but still cuts well enough.

Realistically, I reckon if I lost mine I'd fork out for another. Spendy as they are.
Trend do a good large diamond plate with a great holder (the holder doubles up as a waterstone holder as well) but it's a heavy old lump and not something I'd slip into a pocket.

Reactions: Nice65

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One thing I've done recently was to buy the coarsest diamond I could find on Ebay (I think its 60 grit) which I use for those times when I accidentally hit something like a nail with a chisel or plane blade edge.
Plane blades being the worse cos the ding causes track marks in the wood I plane.
I glued the 60 grit plate to the back of a 150 grit one so I can quickly sort out damage without having to tap my mate up and borrow her Tormek.
Thats still a fair size mind and again not really a drop into a pocket item like my Diafold.
Oh and my Diafold is the blue/red one. I have a leather strop on wooden slat, charged with green cutting paste, I just give the knife a few strops with that, very few and it seems to just straighten out the edge and give it a slight polish.

I do have a Japanese waterstone but its a bit of a faff compared to the Diafold for penknives.
My Trend 400/1000 grit plate is great but if I put it in a pocket my strides would be round my ankles in no time.

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
I have a marttiini diamond sharpener. Simple thing with a coarse side, fine side with a hook sharpener. I like the handle on it and actually pretty happy with it in general. It started out a bit rough, but has smoothed nicely.

I think it's only 300 | 600, but I only have simple steels, so can get reasonably good edges with it and a strop with green compound in short time (reasonable means able to top hairs on my arm... so good for what I need, - I know we all have different expectations). A good field sharpener anyway in case of emergency, or quick touch ups. Also not too expensive.

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Fallkniven dc3 or4 might suit? Spyderco double stuff? Spyderco sharpmaker rod? I use the diamond rod and medium rod quite often on garden tools.
Years ago I got a file that uses strip abrasive from Axminster, and it's very good.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks guys, I got the Trend as it’s closest to a Diafold. It’s a sharpening style I’ve got used to, the long handled file and stationary blade. Lends itself well to flat scaled knives like my UKPK as I can easily take the pocket clip off and hold it down on a flat surface.

I’m lucky enough to have one of the old style DC4 stones with the decent diamond plate and ridged ceramic side, but it doesn’t get a lot of use.

Reactions: R_Fonseca

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
On the back of this thread, I picked up the EZlap fine and ceramic folding stone.
It's flipping brilliant.
Mostly my blades just need a little tickle to bring them back to sharp, and I've got plenty of water/oil/paper/coarser diamond, other options.

Not cheap at £28 ish inc postage. But by golly it's like having new knives.
I've sharpened everything!
I'd probably have a go at the cat's claws, if I had one.
Highly recommended, thanks peeps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE