Mitten Crabs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thoughts?

I have an article in a local paper that they are invading the waterways and overpowering the Evil American Signal Crayfish because they're bigger.

I'm thinking bigger = more meat.

Anyone caught any?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I was discussing extactly the same thing last night with me old man - they are evil looking blighters - will little tufts of fur sticking out of their claws - hence the name mitten. Wonder if they are good eating...

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
EXPORT THEM TO cHINA AND THEY WILL FIND A WAY

Not too sure what you're trying to say with that comment BOD. Were you trying to infer that the Chinese will eat anything? I take it you've not sampled home made Chinese cooking, which is far from the imagined fare. Besides crabs are easy to eat, combine with boiling water or plenty of hot coals, eat the insides of the claws and in some of the body meat, not exactly a hard task, definately not needing the boffins of China to work it out mate.. :rolleyes:

Nag.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Mitten Crabs (Eriocheir sinensis) are edible. Infact with ref to BODs post, it would be impossible to export them to China or indeed most Asian countries, as this is where they are from originally. The Mitten Crab, is a highly invasive creature. They are imported here for consumption, mainly in the Asian communities etc, but no doubt a few have escaped thus the problem with them in our waters. The Thames apperently has a high number of them kicking about. Although the Mitten Crabs ( not just the Chinese (Eriocheir sinensis) but also others including the Japanese ones) are edible, they are able to withstand high levels of toxins like heavy metals. It's therefore important to consider where you are getting them from and what likely sources of contamination you may be eating.

Edit:
A native of China introduced into Germany in 1912 now dispersed widely in NE Europe. This crab may be found in isolated bodies of freshwater as it will cross dry land to colonize new areas. Scientific name Eriocheir sinensis is derived from the Greek and means wool hand of the Chinese, hence the vernacular or common name the Chinese mitten crab.

Information found at MarLIN
Nag.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A flippant remark made on the spur of the moment.

I did not realise they were from China. There was no link anyway or mention of China at that time. The capital letters were accidental not intentional.

But the Chinese do eat almost anything. There is a saying that if it has 4 legs and its back is to the sun it will be eaten.
But in my experience, Chinese gastronomy goes beyond that to cockroaches, monkeys and other stuff. There is another saying that only dogs lungs and something else are not eaten.There is something called the Shanghai Hairy Crab which is a delicacy.

Some years ago a shipload of Chinese refugees were turfed out in Northern Western Australia by human traffickers in a desolate area. They survived for weeks eating everything that came by. Their bush cooking skills were first rate. :notworthy Eventually one walked into a cattle station in good health.

I believe if the Alien in the movie of that name climbed aboard a Chinese space craft it would have been a goner as they would have had it in a stir fry in no time and raised the eggs for consumption.

I love Chinese home cooking especially crabs - this is what I do to them. Pepper crabs in a wok - olive oil, crab, butter and cracked black pepper. Yum.

Try out a mitten crab this way. Might be good!:D

Crabscooking010.jpg

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
AJB you could do both.

On this occasion it was bush cooking and the heat was not that intense so tossed raw in the wok.

My former wife used to bake them in the oven and then toss them in melted butter and black pepper with some chopped garlic as well

If you bake or steam them do so whole, I would say, to keep the juices in. Crack them and toss after wards in the wok.

These crabs, like the signal crayfish, are causing huge concern amongst environmentalist bodies.
It’s believed they arrived on these shores via ballast used in shipping which is then dumped after the journey.
Their burrowing causes land collapse and they are an invasive species that threaten the river systems.
They breed rapidly and can cross land over considerable distance to enter other river systems.
The Thames in particular is bad with them and the biggest worry is the damage they can cause to ships through their digging and burrowing of river beds.
Scientists are still trying to work out if the ones here are safe to eat (they are a delicacy in China, particularly the males gonads!! :crossesslegs:
If they are then there is a chance that they can be controlled by commercial fishing.

If you think you have seen a mitten crab then the Natural History Museum in London are keen to hear from you as they are trying to establish the spread of them.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
That crab looks absolutely delicious BOD :D

I know from first-hand experience that the Chinese are expert at turning pretty much anything into a tasty meal. Very little goes to waste.

E

edwred

theres supposed to be a huge amount of these in the tyne. is it worth trapping and eating some or do you think ill contract some horrible infection?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE