What to do with Hazel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've got two Hazel trees that are heavily multi stemmed, coppice even. They look like they're ready for harvesting rods from inch to 2 or even 3 inches. Some are 3, 4 or more metres long and mostly straight the whole length.

What is a good use for them? I plan to wait until a cold, dry winter's day to harvest. I'm just thinking I'm advance or I'm likely to waste the resource. I've chopped up and binned a few from other places because I needed to clear up after a bit of cutting down things.

Any suggestions?

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
If you had enough you could make a wattle fence with them.
Or you could make walking poles out of them.
Or you could make a bundle bow out of them.
Do you have any land, or somewhere you are allowed to camp? If so, what about some campsite amenities - a fire shield, or a table, or a seating area?
Or use them for carving projects - Christmas is coming up so why not carve some garden ornaments for friends and family?

Failing that, strip the bark, paint them bright reds and blues and use them as lightsabres. Don't forget to do the sound effects as you swing them around...

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
I'd go with Wander.
Walking poles as Xmas presents if its early enough to harvest.
Bamboo replacements for veg or flowers in the garden.

Or,
Lightsabres which is much more the fun option. Swish. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's a long list of what has traditionally been made from hazel coppice - including the obvious such as walking sticks (look out for good Y sticks), staffs (as in quarterstaffs), beanpoles, pea sticks, hurdles, various straw and thatching pins, tool handles, clothes pegs, plant stands, tent, yurt, and tarp poles ...

However, if you only have a couple of trees, I would advise you first sort the wood out into thicknesses, then have a go at making some greenwood stools and chairs - it's very satisfying.

In North Wales, where there was traditionally less willow, split hazel was used for weaving as well. It's a painful process if I'm honest though.

Finally, for now, you could have a go at making a coracle :) - just use a builder's tarp for the skin.

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Love the coracle idea. Light sabre less so. I don't want to encourage my 9 year old son that it's a good idea to have a stick to hit people with. I suspect he won't care about the star wars thing but the hitting stick will be of n interest to him.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm guessing you need to cut it to get the outer and inner parts of the rod. Something about slightly different flex I think. Not read up much but like a lot of things, I've somehow picked up in random way snippets of bowmaking. I thought Hazel wouldn't make a good bow, perhaps a kids one. Not sure if let my son loose with a bow though. Perhaps without any arrows but even then he'll find a way with it.

Last edited:

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
Hurdles, clothes pegs, tent pegs chair legs, charcoal & pea twigs
If you have volume, the EA buys 6'×18" faggots which are used for flood defenses they will be able to give you the full spec on application.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE