Midlands Winter '08 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
If, like me, you've had major problems sourcing charcoal, I've found a place pretty local that has some in stock. I'll be making a trip to the place, once I've unpacked, should anyone like to follow me, give me a shout.

On wednesday our B+Q had 4 pallets - 2 ea of lumpwood and easy light. If anyone wants me to get a couple more bags (I think lumpwood was @5pds for 6 kilos) email/pm me before 11am Friday!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
On wednesday our B+Q had 4 pallets - 2 ea of lumpwood and easy light. If anyone wants me to get a couple more bags (I think lumpwood was @5pds for 6 kilos) email/pm me before 11am Friday!

You have a PM Peter. Just been looking for some and they're all out round my area

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I'm sorry to say I came home early, I got in my hammock at about 10pm, by midnight it had been raining well and I didn't notice my hammock was against my tarp, I got damp but nothing serious. :rolleyes:
So, I decided to get my fire going a bit better to hopefuly help keep me warm. After wandering round in the rain, sorting the fire out and spending a good half an hour lost, I was all sorted and back in bed - with tarp rearranged. I was pleasantly surprised to find I was really comfortable and warm (first time I've used a hammock) and soon I'm sure I was scaring people with a good old snore! :D

Well, about 4 - 4:30am I woke with damp legs, again nothing much and I was still nice and warm (inside the sleeping bag) But litterally dripping on the outside :thinkerg: drip lines / crab's:( I got up with thoughts of drying it somehow, sorted some drip lines out and built my fire back up (sorry if I disturbed anyone) but while cooking my breakfast I noticed water dripping quite fast off the bottom of my hammock, on further investigation everything was soaked :eek: bag, hammock, blanket everything.

So, that was pretty much the end of my trip, I spent most of the day mooching around and putting faces to names. While wandering round I got that wet I could've gone for a swim and been dryer! But I enjoyed being there and trying my kit out, I knew about drip lines and not touching the sides of a tent / tarp but that's life. Hope I didn't seem too antisocial, after the eventful night I just wanted to get into dry clothes and get away from the place :lmao:

Jeez, I've never seen woodland so waterlogged - the paths were streams / rivers and everywhere else was either standing water or just a squelchy mess! Bodge's (Hope I've got that right) tent thing literaly had a river running through it :lmao:

I'm sure some were in as bad a position as me, I'm happy to admit it - the thought of getting into a cold, wet sleeping bag for more of the same and or colder weather was enough to see me going home early :eek:

But thanks all for making me feel welcome, I'll see you again soon with the addition of two carabiners and that bit more knowledge - i.e. hamock lower / tarp higher so I'm further from the sides.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
you home too Gary, how's the tooth ? not seen the forecast for tonight, I was working night's last night and thought it was a bit warmer than we have had, didn't realise they had had so much rain. hope it doesn't ruin the weekend foe them :(

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
you home too Gary, how's the tooth ? not seen the forecast for tonight, I was working night's last night and thought it was a bit warmer than we have had, didn't realise they had had so much rain. hope it doesn't ruin the weekend foe them :(
I live about 5 miles from Rough Close, and the allotments near us are under several feet of water today; the lake in the park has flowed into the neighbouring fields, and the road by the castle ford is closed as it's impassable for any vehicles.

It was raining from about 6pm Friday night and only stopped at lunchtime today (Saturday), it was actually a lovely evening when we left to drive to East Anglia a bit earlier today, but I suspect the woods are a nightmare at the moment.

Just hope the piggie didn't get too drenched!

The forecast for tonight is dry, so hopefully a good night's sleep will be possible for the hardy souls who remain!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've got a big hole where my tooth used to be but at least it's hurting less than the tooth was.

Sounds like it's going to be the sort of meet that legends are made of.
Raining.gif

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Just got back from the meet. The rain was impressive as was the spring which sprung in the middle of my camp!
Enjoyed the w/e and tested a few things including my wood burning setup ( British Blades off Dogman) its not too fuel thirsty; mini snap lights from fishing tackle shops are a quick method of marking guy lines at night. Most of all I take too much kit? Will look at reducing this down to a more manageable amount when not canoeing.
Met some new faces and some from previous meets.
Decorum, thanks for organising this again it is very much appreciated.
Alan

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yes that rain was quite something! The only thing that made the wet ok is that my sleeping stuff stayed dry in the hammock and so did Phils in the £15 argos tent on the floor , surprisingly. (he didnt like being in a hammock and opted for ground dwelling) Had my stuff got wet, I think Id have gone home too so I don't blame anyone that left early.
As it was, I was snug as a bug in a rug, and the only downer was that I couldn't stay in it all day.:p

Some parts of the wood were literally flooded into a lake, its a good job i had my wellies on to enjoy myself in, I know lots of people were less fortunate with their footwear. But the pig was lovely and as always, I enjoy the company round the fire at the end of the day.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sounds like it's going to be the sort of meet that legends are made of.
Raining.gif

You got that one right Gary

I woke up Saturday morning to this view from my camp
view2.jpg

Here's my camp....... The film 'A River Runs Through' just about describes it......
mycamp1.jpg

mycamp2.jpg

I was actually stood in 3 inches of water and mud when I got up:eek: and I had to relocate to a new spot which was drier than where I started out

This is the view to Addo's, Spamels, Bodges and Andy's camp. What you can't see is the river running right through Bodges tent and out the other side into Addo's camp :eek:
view1.jpg

This is where we roasted the pig. The quagmire in front for those that know the site is where we usually have the communal fire. All that area was just a lake of mud......
Pig2.jpg

A couple fire pics taken by Lindsey after her camera started playing up.
kettlefire.jpg

kettle2.jpg

However, despite the slightly damp conditions it was a great meet and I throughly enjoyed myself :)

Thanks once again to Decorum for facilitating it and Bernie the supreme pig roaster, I've never had crackling that good :D

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Hey what a great time down there in Rough Close river, I had to go shopping on Saturday for some essentials (ugio's whatever they are) and the locals had out sand bags in front of their drives and front doors. I was completely "wrong geared" as went prepared for cold and it was almost balmy at 7 degrees. The journey down there was a nightmare and took four hours, rather than the planned for two, due to the M6 closure, which meant we arrived and had to set up in the dark. Luckily for me when we arose on the Saturday morning we were on the only dry ground in the wood.:lmao:. Dry meaning not under water in this context of course.:umbrella:.

There were some sterling performances under the conditions not least Phil for getting up early and stoking the fire and Bernie again for steadfastly monitoring the pig, but the most outstanding performance of the weekend was from my son Elliot who waded through knee deep mud and water for a day and a half and never complained or moaned once. Making my time so much more enjoyable.

Well done son, I am proud of you.:You_Rock_. The makings of a fine bushcrafter me thinks!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Looks like you all still had a great time despite the weather, hope I can make the next one once I have some essentials - maybe an ark and two of every animal?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Well thats my bivi bag well and trully tested, It floats in a pond for several hours without leaking into my pricey down bag!
I had a great time but like Barney I was geared up for the cold. Next time its the hammock, coccoon and my wellies, although my second hand lowa boots ive had for a few years kept me toasty and dry all the time.

Cheers Dec for organising it all.

Good test of kit and resolve as im a bad sleeper anyway, but after moving my camp to a dry spot next to a fallen tree and started a fire to dry out all waxed cotton items, all was well. The pig was spot on cheers bernie for that and bodge for the naming/carving of different cuts. Sorry I couldn't do more but ive only been weight bearing a few days. Ive a few pics to put up in a bit. And thanks to the mule for humping all my kit in and out of the place and doing all the driving.

Thanks to Decorum for organising this meet. I hope your foot is ok mate.
Midlandsmud meet was a good testing ground. blue cheap tarps make crap ground sheets:(
Nikwax leather proofer does what it says on the can:) (not one drop got through)
I wish I'd packed my gaiters and I wish I hammocked the first night and not ground dwelled.

On friday night we got a nice little fire going between mine and Addos' shelters. Spam cooked on his stove by the fire. By saturday morning the fire had been washed away by the torrent running through my tent:eek: luckily my sleeping gear was dry in my bivvi bag and my spare clothes were in a dry bag but pretty much everything was soaked.

I took to the trees and things got better. the rain eased off and stopped for a while, people moved from the flooded areas and people started smiling again:)

I stayed behind to help with tidying up with PeterH and Chris and we got took on the task of dumping the body(piggy). We wrapped it up in the melted blue tarp and popped it in the skip.
It must of looked a bit odd, us chucking a blue 'bodybag' in the skip.:D

I hope the next meet is less muddy but I shall be prepared.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Happy campers!

New home, still might look grim but this was 4 star:D

This took some getting going :(

But worth it :cool:

Addo :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks to all who came along and made what will be a very memorable Meet. I'll stick up a few (water related) pics later/tomorrow.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Bernie and Maxine for bringing franken-hog and doing the bulk of the work that went into the roast.

I'd also like to say a hearty thanks to Peter, Chris and Bodge who man handled the trundle truck laden with tables, roast remnants, fire drums and rubbish to their various drop off points; I've no idea what I'd have done without your help!

There's nothing like the unexpected to test your kit choice and skills and I think we've all come away with some highly valuable experience :cool: .

It's always a pleasure to have young' uns along. Those who don't create when it's wet and windy are very special indeed - Elliot :You_Rock_ .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE