Lowest temp UK hang record

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I know, although im so unfit I aint looking forward to the cycle there- but the way back will be great!

Will do a few trips in total so if anyone wants me to stash stuff for them nearer the time, give me a shout!

KP

Thats a kind offer :). I'm planning on dragging everything there in a plastic sled so weight won't be much of a bother.

I've done down to -9 this January and was toasty in the hammock, but man it was cold getting dressed out of the hammock!

Good luck with the record attempt.

Simon

Thanks Simon.

Getting out is like the anti-christ to hammocking when its cold. Getting back in is great though!

Must remeber to follow KP the next time he goes out on his bike :):):).

Good stuff for giving it a go chaps I would love to join you but I dont have the right equipment or knowledge to do a snow outing but if you need a hand with anything from up my ways give me a shout.

All the best

Craig

Thanks Craig, very generous :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got a thermometer with max/min recording, no idea how it will cope as it's a cheapy off ebay, I'll bring it along though for some photos :)

EDIT:

Just noticed you're thinking of knocking up a pulk, good idea. I saw some cheap tub sledges the other day but can;t remember where now

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've got a thermometer with max/min recording, no idea how it will cope as it's a cheapy off ebay, I'll bring it along though for some photos :)

EDIT:

Just noticed you're thinking of knocking up a pulk, good idea. I saw some cheap tub sledges the other day but can;t remember where now

I've got a little electronic job from Maplins, I'm looking for a better one though with min/max memory.

I'm keeping a eye out for kids sledges aswell, It'll need to be a big sled though-I'm taking plenty!

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Well, after this weeks predicted good weather, they are predicting an early snowfall!

Bring it on- can't wait to get out with the winter gear....

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Remember last year, we had a spell of clear weather day and night, which dried the ground out, let the temps fall over each night, then we had a good temp drop, I walk the dogs every night around ten\eleven and so far last night was the first time i could see my breath in proper thick condensing clouds, super heavy dew this morning, COME ON! already cleared a little patch in the wood over the road, will also get out on the training area for a walk when the alcohol plummets:D

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I was out walking at night on Friday, and boy, you could feel the chill coming in. Far earlier this year than last.

Just put some proper snow tyres on the 4x4, as well as put my winter emergency pack in the back of it. I get a feeling itI may need them!

Must remeber to follow KP the next time he goes out on his bike :):):).

Good stuff for giving it a go chaps I would love to join you but I dont have the right equipment or knowledge to do a snow outing but if you need a hand with anything from up my ways give me a shout.

All the best

Craig

I too would love to join, but I am in the same boat as you with regards to the kit, plus I have no idea if what I have would be good enough. But I am planning on going on the snowshoeing expedition with Woodsmoke in 2013 so would need to give the cold temps a go before then to get the feel of it..

Saying that I did sleep out in November at the axe workshop last year with the UQ and army sleeping bag and felt ok, very cold nose in the end though. No idea what the temps got down to but it was pretty cold, especially getting up for the loo in the night.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
get out in your garden with your stuff dude, same as when you test new camping gear, then just see what keeps you warm and dry and what need beefing up, start from the frosts!

resnikov

I would also love to go out with you guys, but like CBJ & Pandabean I don't really have that much experience with the cold and camping. I did Christmas Eve last year in a small hike tent and was ok but that was a back garden camp :p Will try some more like that until I have the confidence to do a proper winter hang.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What kit are folk planning on using then?

I'm going for something along these lines ...

Hammock:-
Warbonnet Blackbird or Nomads Land XXL

Bottom Insulation:-
Speers Snugfit full length UQ & Unsponsored 3/4 UQ over the top, ripstop weathershield

Top Insulation:-
Alpkit Pipedream 600 & Custom Winter TQ on top

Others:-
A mix of 200 & 400g merino base layers, arctic wool socks, Outdoor Research Ninjaclava, Down hood, Powerstretch gloves & down gillet (might wrap this round the foot end of the hammock if needed)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Well, it's the Nomads Land XXL hammock with Snugpac cacoon, and
an alpkit bag inside. Will have my merino baselayers, balaclava as back up. Will also bring my Coleman duel mantle lantern to hang nearby for some extra warmth.

A lot of the trees are quite thick and so will need to have long tapes to hang the hammock from...

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Aye Shewie. Will dig out sone pics tomorrow of the area around the bothy as nae many trees right there, but a wee dander along the river (less than 2 min walk) there is a plethora of choice!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Aye Shewie. Will dig out sone pics tomorrow of the area around the bothy as nae many trees right there, but a wee dander along the river (less than 2 min walk) there is a plethora of choice!

Just been having a look at some piccies and there looks to be plenty of hanging options nearby.

Anyone tried a reindeer hide along with a down UQ? Just wondered if it negates the warmth or aids it? I've used one on it's own and it was toasty on my backside.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Well, after this weeks predicted good weather, they are predicting an early snowfall!

Bring it on- can't wait to get out with the winter gear....

Woohoo! Not long now hopefully :)

Remember last year, we had a spell of clear weather day and night, which dried the ground out, let the temps fall over each night, then we had a good temp drop, I walk the dogs every night around ten\eleven and so far last night was the first time i could see my breath in proper thick condensing clouds, super heavy dew this morning, COME ON! already cleared a little patch in the wood over the road, will also get out on the training area for a walk when the alcohol plummets:D

I'm out most night around 11 for a run, the dew is getting thick on the grass now here too.

I too would love to join, but I am in the same boat as you with regards to the kit, plus I have no idea if what I have would be good enough. But I am planning on going on the snowshoeing expedition with Woodsmoke in 2013 so would need to give the cold temps a go before then to get the feel of it.

Saying that I did sleep out in November at the axe workshop last year with the UQ and army sleeping bag and felt ok, very cold nose in the end though. No idea what the temps got down to but it was pretty cold, especially getting up for the loo in the night.

It takes a few trips to get acclimatised to the cold, getting up is never good though:lmao:

Garden camps are good for getting used to breathing cold air.

Remember guys, if we go to Derry Lodge there is the bothy if it gets dangerously cold for your gear!

KP

Its a good back-up in a beautiful setting too, well out of the wind usually.

A lot of the trees are quite thick and so will need to have long tapes to hang the hammock from...

I struggled to tie a 5m strap round one near the river, and then had a 30ft span to cover. 10ft whoopies were plenty though. Extra suspension definitely required unless were spaced well apart.

My Kit;

Hammock; DD travel or a DIY pertex double layer with 10 ft whoopies

Underquilt- diy down 3" baffles with a 2" 2/3rds underneath, 3 CCF mats with 3 car windscreen reflectors as a backup.

Top insulation- Down 3 season bag with a down top quilt that I havent made yet, down jacket over legs and feet. A plastic sheet as a VBL.

Also, a Primus Omnifuel, Baffin pac boots, merino underwear x 2, merino jumper, fleece balaclava, down jacket and gilet for standing around,plenty of wool socks, softshell jacket, Klattermusen softshell trousers, padded salopettes, gore tex gloves/ liner gloves and sheepskin mitts. A stupid looking fur hat and icey beard will top it all off.

I'm going to have a crack at a couple of Shug stylee fleece breath catcher too before the trip, this look a good idea for keeping the top quilts ice free. :cool:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Capture-1.png

Bob Scotts and the area are pictured here. A few of photos on GE. Head up the Dee from Braemar and you will find Glen Luibeg and this area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE