Landrover 110 question....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
Is it possible to fit a drop down tail gate and flip up hatch as kin to early series hardtops? I have seen 90/110 dual fitted with the hinges for drop down tail gates (military with rag top?) but do not recall flip up hatches.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I remember that sort of tailgate on series LR's. I also remember someone nearly loosing their teeth with the same. They were sitting on the tailgate with the window up and the vehicle went over a bump (this is before gas struts) the mechanism went into shut mode and came down, the handle went into the persons mouth! Lots of blood and shock. Not nice at all!
Please beware.
Swyn.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Jon Pickett said:
rear door...sorry, didn't realise you could get side doors in the back of one...
no when you said opening window i didnt know if you meant rear or side window?.dont think you can get a opening rear window,the series hatchs are supposed to be rare and fetch stupid money on ebay.how about opening the door and rigging a canopy up over the top.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
swyn said:
Please beware.
Swyn.

Heh, I have had them hit me in back of head when leaning in a couple of times, but that was because I didn't put on the safety flipover latch which positively locks the tail door up. This is on my 1953 Series 1 station wagon so I guess its not a new safety feature ?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
In my Landy I have a gas strut holding the door open and on the inside a tray that folds down where I can cook, prep etc.
I also have another piece of metal that comes out of the top left side of the roof rack. It extands the same distance as the door and doubles as the tarp holder. I have a small tarp that drapes over that and the door to offer some protection when I'm cooking etc.
It's having a new clutch fitted atm otherwise I'd take a piccie of it.

Mark

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Buckshot said:
In my Landy I have a gas strut holding the door open and on the inside a tray that folds down where I can cook, prep etc.
I also have another piece of metal that comes out of the top left side of the roof rack. It extands the same distance as the door and doubles as the tarp holder. I have a small tarp that drapes over that and the door to offer some protection when I'm cooking etc.
It's having a new clutch fitted atm otherwise I'd take a piccie of it.

Mark
Sounds very nice Mark....I am in the process of doing mine up....It has just been used for work, towing the trailer, with the back full of tools and stuff, but it has been such a good car (much better than my other car) that I have decided to turn it into a camper, boarded out the roof rack, to take a tent, sorted out a bed inside too, plus a table, stove, cupboard, so far...Going to get a sink, a little stainless steel one and have a hinged lid that comes down over it.....
DSC00269Small.jpg

DSC00273Small.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Spikey DaPikey said:
Looking good Jon :)
Cheers Spike....Table folds down to form part of the bed base, the other bit is clamped to the side. Got some foam (2" thick) cut to size to make a mattress. Also put in a power inverter now, and had a power socket (cigar lighter) installed in the back to run my cold box etc....
This is an older photo of the mattress in place....
DSC00263Small.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
Wow - now thats looking good!
Cheers Red, yeah, its getting there.....Been quite a job so far, had to scrape all the dried cement off the floor, and clean out the inside for the first time, then start boarding it. Its gonna look fab by the time I am finished with it....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks pretty good already to me!

Always talked about doing this to our 110SW - never got to it though :(

What are you going to use for lighting ....an LED Lantern seems logical ?

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
Looks pretty good already to me!

Always talked about doing this to our 110SW - never got to it though :(

What are you going to use for lighting ....an LED Lantern seems logical ?

Red
Well a candle lantern is used for now, or the light in the front, but that is a bit too bright. Will probably end up with an led light of some sort....I want to keep it all fairly simple in there to start with, then try it out and see what is needed....

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
12V lights from a caravan shop would fit lovely in the back, Was going to mention side windows, but then the photos arrived...

Now I was going to put up some photo's of the back off mine...But I cannot find the pics!

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE