Kit List Spreadsheet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been working on a spreadsheet on Google Docs recently, entering each item of kit along with their weights and then categorising them in to the right pack areas. It's geeky I know but I find it's a good way of getting the weight down on your pack, having the numbers there in front of you in black and white help you work on certain areas, ultimately getting that base weight down. It's probably more useful to those who cover mileage on their trips, but it can also be a general reference for when it comes to packing for that next outing. If you print out the spreadsheet you'll have a tick box down the left where you can check off your kit.

Here's how to create your own Kit List quickly, once you've copied it you're welcome to edit categories to whatever you like.

1. Log into your own Google Doc’s account, if you don't have one already then create one
  2. Open my gear list (Click HERE)
  3. In the top left hand corner click “File”
  4. Next, click “Make a copy…” from the drop-down
  5. In the dialogue box rename it to whatever you want, click “OK”

You can change the settings so your spreadsheet is only visble to invitees, or you can make it public but uneditable (sp)

The totals for each section are worked out with formulas, it's dead easy to do so you can change yours if you add more lines. It's all explained in the Help section.

The current list I have is for a 3 day gentle hiking trip to the Lake District, I packed for 3 season

Original format from Chad Poindexter

Last edited:

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
Good idea.

Ive been looking to lighten kit depending in what I plan to do, especially if it involves distance on foot.

Steve

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Ta. I'll have ago at adding my kit this coming week. Probably need to uprate the grams to kilos though for my not so lightweight stuff ;)

PS By the way does your Black Rock Beanie rate ok? Do you reckon it rustles somewhat?
Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes. Very warm but a little noisy 'til I got used to it.

Alan

It's funny because it took me a few hours to work out what the noise was. I think when I've got it pulled over the ears, contact with anything else is amplified through the "hollow" cavities in the hat. It was a toggle on the back of my windshirt which rubbed when I turned my head I think :)

Great hats though, so warm and they weigh hardly anything and pack to nothing

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Your list is seriously impressive, Rich; I do between twelve and eighteen miles a day, every day with dog and have just prepared my stuff for tomorrow morning.................7.3 Kg!!! just for a mooch with a few brews and one meal.....:)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I've been working on a spreadsheet on Google Docs recently, entering each item of kit along with their weights and then categorising them in to the right pack areas. It's geeky I know but I find it's a good way of getting the weight down on your pack, having the numbers there in front of you in black and white help you work on certain areas, ultimately getting that base weight down. It's probably more useful to those who cover mileage on their trips, but it can also be a general reference for when it comes to packing for that next outing. If you print out the spreadsheet you'll have a tick box down the left where you can check off your kit.

Here's how to create your own Kit List quickly, once you've copied it you're welcome to edit categories to whatever you like.

1. Log into your own Google Doc’s account, if you don't have one already then create one
  2. Open my gear list (Click HERE)
  3. In the top left hand corner click “File”
  4. Next, click “Make a copy…” from the drop-down
  5. In the dialogue box rename it to whatever you want, click “OK”

You can change the settings so your spreadsheet is only visble to invitees, or you can make it public but uneditable (sp)

The totals for each section are worked out with formulas, it's dead easy to do so you can change yours if you add more lines. It's all explained in the Help section.

The current list I have is for a 3 day gentle hiking trip to the Lake District, I packed for 3 season

Original format from Chad Poindexter

Looks nice Rich,

Are you doing further development on it? Feature requests etc?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
What do you mean by feature requests Joe?

Well id like a feature whereby it records my gear, packs it and carries it up the mountain. :D

im slowly overwriting your gear. At 6.7kg base currently but ive not overwritten your pigeon food portions yet :D. So far ive realised i need a new down jacket. My golite is not so light.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
What do you mean by feature requests Joe?

Well separating quantity owned from quantity packed so I can inventory all that I have and generate a kit list of what I will be taking so I can make sure I don't forget anything. I'd also add the value of items and add total to the packed list for insurance, especially when abroad.

As a personal list this is great but I think that adding a storage location would help groups so a scout leader, for example, could generate a pick-list for a group to pack. Without getting into who has what item in a group, it would be nice to record some in and out information.

It's nice as-is, these may or may not be useful to you but I thought I'd try and give some constructive feedback.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well separating quantity owned from quantity packed so I can inventory all that I have and generate a kit list of what I will be taking so I can make sure I don't forget anything. I'd also add the value of items and add total to the packed list for insurance, especially when abroad.

As a personal list this is great but I think that adding a storage location would help groups so a scout leader, for example, could generate a pick-list for a group to pack. Without getting into who has what item in a group, it would be nice to record some in and out information.

It's nice as-is, these may or may not be useful to you but I thought I'd try and give some constructive feedback.

Good points Joe. the idea of putting it up was so folks can amend it to suit their needs, feel free to take a copy and change it to what works. It's dead easy to right click and add a new column or two, you might have to tweak the total box formulas but that's also a doddle.

For what you need you could add another tick box between Check and Location, simply titled Owned, then check any boxes you need. So the current column B would become C I guess. Do the same again between C and D and create a Value column

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Damn you Rich, It's people like you and kit lists that are feeding my bloody kit addiction :)

...tbh I love it really, cant say the same about my bank balance though. :D

Good stuff :)

I've recently started playing with this which is pretty good

My TGO list here

Was about to post this myself, Not had chance to try it yet though, Gunna have a good sort though kit and start getting things organized.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE