Hudson Bay Blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Martyn said:
Scotch? :eek:

'tis a drink and naught else. ;)

Here yopu go PG you might find this interesting. A couple of recording of our local dialect - North Staffordshire or the potteries (Robbie Williams home :rolleyes: town ). I'm about 20 miles south of Manchester and the dialect here is strong. Though my accent is northern, it isnt this strong.

These recordings are radio transcriptions of writings about a fictitious local character "Owd Grandad Piggot" (the North Staffs equivalent of a redneck) which get regularly broadcast on our local radio...

link 1
link 2

I guarantee you've never heard English spoken like this. Dont worry though, there'll be a lot of Brits who dont understand it either. :)

Can't open it. Darn

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Eric_Methven said:
OK, so maybe I over reacted when I opened the box. Actually, the wierd size of the blanket is perfect for making into a capote (wool blanket coat), although it will be crap for sleeping under.

Here's what I'm going to make from it. This one is on Ebay and is going for a couple of hundred Canadian dollars. The pattern is exactly the same as my blanket, and because it is so long, I might even get two coats out of it.

ac_3.JPG

Of course mine won't have the label on the bottom. Still, if I get two coats out of it, it'll be a good forty quid's worth. (It was a six point blanket that I bought by the way).

Shall I take photos and do a tutorial?

Eric

Just a little info - in case you're interested. What you have pictured it a mid19th century capote. Earlier fur trade capotes did not have the fringes. Very early (French regime) capotes were made of coating weight wool, rather than blankets, and were much more of a "fitted" garment with 18th century "uniform" cuffs and cuff buttons - and looked much more like a great coat of that era, except for the hood.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I should also mention - the best capotes I've made were constructed using British Army hospital blankets. While most of these blankets are all white, some of them have two or three thin blue stripes running lengthwise down the center. Makes for a very nice capote - and not near as heavy a weight as the HBC blankets (which are most often way too warm).

They used to sell them in the "Cheaper Than Dirt" catalog for $12, but I haven't seen them there for a while.

PG

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Some interesting information on this thread. [A resurrected emoticon would be a good idea]

I've just ordered a new Hudsons Bay four point blanket.

Same as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Woolrich-90-I...tripes/dp/B000T2TX8Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've convinced myself, if it lasts a lifetime, they are actually relatively cheap......yeh right :rolleyes:

Google produced some interesting images.

Native american blackfoot man wrapped in Hudsons bay blanket

springchief3.jpg

Trade coat blanket on blackfoot man.

runningrabbit.jpg

Depiction of an 18th Century hunter/trapper wearing a traditional capote, modified from the Hudson Bay Blanket.

hudsons-bay-point-blanket-add.jpg

Remmington an illustrator for Harper's weekly of New York did this illustration for Nov.1888 issue.
In the article there is a self portrait of the artist in a capote(blanket coat) made from a Hudson Bay Point Blanket .
The blanket came from the HBC post in Mattawa at that time .
remington3Harper%2527s+weekly+nov+28+1888HBC+post.jpg

Has anyone else used one? if so what do you think of it?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE