Hudson Bay Blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was told by a Confederate re-enactor that the Southern drawl developed during the slave era. White boys were sent to school but the girls were educated at home and the company they heard most often were servants voices, nannies, maids, and the like. The accent developed from the mix of peoples and their use of the vocabulary, and eventually, regardless of class, the drawl became the regional patois.
Scotland is the same as England in it's regional variation, personally I like the diversity.....confusing or not! :D
Cheers,
Toddy

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
jamesraykenney said:
The British nobility sent all their kids to French and German schools and came back with an accent...This was partly copied by the subjects and over the years this became the English accent we all know and love today...

A novel idea, but completely lacks any basis in truth I'm afraid. :)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
pierre girard said:
Well, that is something. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I had a fella show up from GB who was really into Shawnee Indians. Had the nose for it, shaved head, etc. Had all the clothing, etc and did a really good impression - until he opened his mouth and out came that Sussex accent. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I don't think he ever said anything that I didn't have to ask him to repeat. He said his accent was nothing compared to a Cockney accent, and my folks, who spent a summer in Scotland, said Scots are impossible to understand - though capable of making themselves understood - if they want to.

Do you guys have as hard a time understanding our speech - as we do yours?

PG

PARDON?? :lmao:

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
aquanaut said:
cant find these listed on the Sutlers site - some other blankets but no trapper's one...maybe all gone?

jason01 said:
Ive just gone to the Sutlers website and I cant find these blankets anymore, is it just me or have they gone?

EDIT: Ive ordered a 6 pointer to go with it, and they only have one left!

When I phoned yesterday they had 2 left, one of those is on its way to me ;)

They said they might have more in at a later date but the supply was neither regular nor predictable and they have indeed taken them off the website. They were a bargain IMO. Now I just have to neaten up my blanket stitch a bit so I can make a hem on the two cut edges!

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
jason01 said:
Interesting idea, so Southron drawl is more English than English lol.

Though I wouldnt have thought the accents of the nobility would really have much affect on the accents of the proletariat masses, as the two scarcely mixed ;) When you say back then exactly when do you mean?

It is often said in my region (The black country) that our local dialect and accent is closest to the old English spaked by Shakespeare. I would have thought that if all of England were influenced by the accents of the continental educated brats of the nobility, as you suggest, then surely there wouldnt be such an extremely diverse and varied mix of regional dialects and accents still in place today?

You didnt think we all speak like BBC news readers did you :lmao:

RE: News readers - most of those in the US have midwest accents - very similar to my own. No matter where they are from - East coast or south - they teach them to speak like they are from the midwest before they let them on the tube.

Around here somewhere, I have a very interesting book on US speechways, named "Albion's Seed." It may oversimplify, but it says there are basically four American speechways.

One is from the Puritans, and is from East England. These folks settled in New England and today the accent is common in the New England states, New York State, and parts of Illinois and Michigan.

A second accent is from the above mentioned English Caviliers, originates in the southwest of England and is predominent in the southern American states.

A third type is from the Scotch borderers (lowland Scots and border English) and is spoken in southern and middle US hill country. This particular speechway is the most graphic - and most likely to offend.

The most predominent accent in the US comes from the Quakers originating in Yorkshire and the midlands. It is the accent you hear from our "news readers," and is in wide use except in the south and along the eastern seaboard ( this does not hold true in my case as my Puritan ancestors are from Yorkshire while my Quaker ancestors are from Wales).

According to the book, each of these speechways has their own sayings which can be traced to the part of England where they originated. I'll see if I can locate the book. I'm not sure if I buy everything it states, but it is a very intereresting book.

I've found a bit of the book online, and here is a quote:

"The four waves of British immigrants who brought their folkways to the American colonies were 1. Puritan: from east England to Massachusetts (1629-1640); 2.Royalists elite: from south England to Virginia (1649-1675); 3. Quakers: from the Midlands of England and Wales to the Delaware Valley (1675-1725); 4. Backcountrymen from The Borders: from the borders of England and Scotland to Northern Ireland and thence to Pennsylvania and the southern colonies (1718-1775). The borders is a term Fischer uses to include all of Scotland southeast of a line drawn between Glasgow in the west and Edinbrough in the east. The borders also includes the following English counties: Lancashire, Yorkshire, Westmoreland, Durham, Cumberland, and North Cumberland. These Southern highlanders or backcountrymen settled in South Carolina from the midlands to the mountains."

PG

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Well, my blanket arrived half an hour ago - not impressed!

It's some eight feet long and three feet wide, with the stripes running down the middle. I understood the trapper blankets were proper blanket shape with the colours in narrow strips along the bottom edge. I was going to make a capote but by the looks of this thing I'll end up with Joseph's coat of many colors. Might send it to Dolly Parton.

Eric

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Eric_Methven said:

It's some eight feet long and three feet wide, with the stripes running down the middle. I understood the trapper blankets were proper blanket shape with the colours in narrow strips along the bottom edge. I was going to make a capote but by the looks of this thing I'll end up with Joseph's coat of many colors. Might send it to Dolly Parton.

Eric

Eight foot long/three wide? - very odd! How is it for thick?

Any chance of a photo?

PG

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Eric_Methven said:

Eric

LOL sorry Eric not laughing at you, just got a vision of you dressed like Dolly Parton at the pole lathe ;)

My 3.5 point looks like these

Blanket-Window.jpg

Maybe theyre not all the same, have a 6 point on order, what size was yours in points???

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Eric, you could cut it in strips across the 'Blanket' so you end up with 8 strips of material and knock them out as HB 'type' scarfs :) either that or just send it back as my friend did and demand a full refund + postage costs.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Guarantee We guarantee your satisfaction. All products (except Special Orders) are covered by our 'No-Quibble' money-back guarantee. If for any reason you are unhappy with what you receive, then simply return it to us in the condition you received it and we will refund your money or replace the product (whichever you prefer).

Returns Policy Warranty - All products (except Special Orders) are covered by our 'No-Quibble' money back guarantee, if for any reason you are unhappy with what you receive then simply return it to us within 7 days, in the condition you received it and we will refund the cost of the goods (less a 10% restocking charge) or replace the product whichever you prefer.

Sorry but can't see nothing here about refunding postage, only about keeping 10% for a restocking fee :eek: Taking either of the above two policy statements it seems to me the customer loses.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
pierre girard said:
A third type is from the Scotch borderers (lowland Scots and border English) and is spoken in southern and middle US hill country. This particular speechway is the most graphic - and most likely to offend.

Scotch? :eek:

'tis a drink and naught else. ;)

Here yopu go PG you might find this interesting. A couple of recording of our local dialect - North Staffordshire or the potteries (Robbie Williams home :rolleyes: town ). I'm about 20 miles south of Manchester and the dialect here is strong. Though my accent is northern, it isnt this strong.

These recordings are radio transcriptions of writings about a fictitious local character "Owd Grandad Piggot" (the North Staffs equivalent of a redneck) which get regularly broadcast on our local radio...

link 1
link 2

I guarantee you've never heard English spoken like this. Dont worry though, there'll be a lot of Brits who dont understand it either. :)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
OK, so maybe I over reacted when I opened the box. Actually, the wierd size of the blanket is perfect for making into a capote (wool blanket coat), although it will be crap for sleeping under.

Here's what I'm going to make from it. This one is on Ebay and is going for a couple of hundred Canadian dollars. The pattern is exactly the same as my blanket, and because it is so long, I might even get two coats out of it.

ac_3.JPG

Of course mine won't have the label on the bottom. Still, if I get two coats out of it, it'll be a good forty quid's worth. (It was a six point blanket that I bought by the way).

Shall I take photos and do a tutorial?

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE