Hudson Bay Blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
steve a said:
Hudson Bay blankets are made in Witney Oxfordshire in the Uk, always have been.They are still made at Earlys Blanket mills today.And they still cost a fortune over here :eek:
Bit of history
http://www.oxfordshirepast.net/wit_econ1500-1800.html

That's a shame. What do they cost? Used ones used to be a $10 to $20 item at every Canadian garage sale - until the advent of e-bay.

A check of the web shows prices of $245 to $305 for a four point HB blanket. For quite a few years a local store sold seconds for between $50 and $75 for a four point (they usually had a smudge, or something equally innocuous). They are no longer able to get the seconds.

PG

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I wish I could find one for $20, from what I can gather theyre about £150 from the HBC for the smallest size and old ones have apparently become very collectible. If anyone knows where they can be had for a reasonable price I'd love one.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I was up at Camden 2 weeks ago, found a Hudson Bay Blanket coat for £20 and it was the real thing, problem was it was a small :(
A four point would sell for £100+
I do not know where you would buy them new in the uk but a few find their way onto the second hand market.
Erleys mills have now been bought out by a company called Quiltex, maybe someone in the Oxford are could do some local research.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
ilovemybed said:
What is so special about these blankets that they're so expensive? Is it a fashion thing?

Theyre functional and well made of top quality materials but theyre also a historic design icon so yes fashion is probably responsible for the current high prices.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Still not sure from reading all this if they are or are not available here in the UK and of British manufacture? The ones offered by Woolrich and LL Bean are very unlikely to have be imported from this wee Isle.

Cheers

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Pierre,

Allow me to stand humbly corrected when yes, the website clearly does say that Hudson's Bay Blankets are clearly made in England.

My excuse? Three hour long classes are murder on my brain.

(Seriously, it's bonified!)

hehehe

Adam

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Klenchblaize said:
Still not sure from reading all this if they are or are not available here in the UK and of British manufacture? The ones offered by Woolrich and LL Bean are very unlikely to have be imported from this wee Isle.

Cheers

The original ones were definitely 100% made in England and were I believe often traded with Canadian fur trappers, being highly prized by them.

Though I strongly suspect the market is now flooded with copies.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
MagiKelly said:
Where can you get them over here? Can't seem to find a link.

You probably cant get em. They are made under licence for the Hudson Bay Company and I would think strictly controlled. If you want a HB blanket, you probably either have to buy second hand or buy direct from HBC - which means importing from Canada. That would make it a very, very expensive blanket - well travelled though. :lmao:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Erleys shut the Witney mill in 2002, they do still manufacture in the uk though I do not know their location, you can still buy quality Witney blankets of 360g/m2 from the Witney Blanket company.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
There a heavy blanket.

Early fur traders who explored the vast country used the short woven lines, called points, to indicate the price to be paid by the Indians for a blanket-four points, four beaver pelts and so on. Today the points indicate approximate weight and size: 4 points, about 6 lbs., is double; 6 points, about 8 lbs., is queen size; 8 points, about 10 lbs., is king size. These pure virgin wool blankets are regarded as precious heirlooms to be handed down and treasured from one generation to the next. Made in England.

Quote take from cabelas also have a look here

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Mr.Aspel and his roadshow was from Witney last week he held up a HB blanket ( a new one) and said a little piece about them still being made there.
As I understand it HB blankets were/are made to the order of that company for their own outlets as they do not have any outlets here I do not think you will find new ones for sale in the uk unless they have been reimported, copied, or come out of factory back door.
Having said that if blankets of the same quality are available made by a different maufacturer why not get one of those, unles the label means so much :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE