How much do you carry on a weekend trip?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If I'm only overnighting after having eaten dinner first I leave the pot and stove behind.

Food as appropriate, map, compass and fak are always in my sack for days or if staying out.

The real trick is to commit to less. Pick a nice day, a place you know well with good bug out routes and eat before heading out. Then take a smaller sack than you think you can possibly get away with. Then put in shelter, sleeping quilt/bag and mat. That is your shelter and insulation sorted. Anything over that adds comfort. Priorities kit and keep loading until sack is full. Try it out. If OK then try it with less. If you suffer then bug out and try it with a slightly bigger sack.

You have to look at mountain marathoners like those in the elite categories of events like OMM. Two man teams with minimum kit levels including 2 skin tent, stove, food for 3 days, enough fuel to feed yourselves and make a cup pa at the end. Compass, whistle, warm layer, trousers, emergency kit, etc. The elite teams fit all that into 30 liters worth of sacks. Typically something like OMM last drop at 10 litres and the 20litre sack!! Take compact tarp, bivvy and you can get smaller and lighter. I even think with the best of UL gear out there you could go solo for one night with less than 20 liters capacity. Wish I had the money to try.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I'll be honest it's taken me a long time to get into the mindset of not taking gear I know I probably won't need. I tend to have a "just in case" mentality and still take a lot I could probably so away with but whereas it used to be an extra stove, a full change of clothes or 3 different knives for different tasks its now just a bit of extra food, a backup fire lighting method (gas lighter) or a few extra bits in my FAK.

It helps that I'm slowly replacing some of my original kit with smaller, lighter (but much more expensive :( ) alternatives

Still to sure the small pack is going to be the way to go as it is full to bursting with everything in it but I know if I take anything larger i will find things I "need" to fill the extra space.

Hamster

Yep that's exactly like me!!
I take stuff just in case, and make sure I use it at some point so it justifies coming lol!!

I think your right, I need the odd night away with the real bare essentials but its hard leaving the carp behind lol!!

Iv just started getting some nice down bags and stuff, my winter is a down quilt good for minus 17, and weighs 700g, I'm planning on getting a new synmat ul 9lw this summer so my winter sleep system ahoy weigh around 1200g which will take me past minus 10. I'm happy with that lol

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ellen you mentioned you carry and extra eyes and diabetic 1st aid kit. What do you have in those?

Two nights out [Friday and Saturday]– usually in woodlands of southern England

Pack – Kifaru Pointman
Knife – F1
Saw – Laplander
Bag – Kifaru regulator
Bag liner silk
Hammock and tarp – DD
0.75 sleepmat – from decathlon heavy and rubbish, but cheap
Head torch - Zebralight (new AA battery)
Storm kettle – Ti
Billy – Alpkit Ti
Coffee filter – MSR
Site cup - MSR
Water bladder
Fresh undercrackers and socks (preferably vacuum packed)
Wash kit and wipes (but not a whole packet)
Travel Towel – biggest I can find
LifeSaver4000 water purification

Coffee, Noodles, smoked fish, eggs. Dried pork (jamon de iberico in a good week, something from lidl the rest of the time). Tinned curry and or cassolette.

If going to the permission I add an air rifle, if a coastal walk sunblock and fishing tackle

The billy doubles up as my eating bowl
Chop sticks/spoon cut/carved as needed
The lifesaver I use to carry water so it doubles up but yes it is annoyingly bulky
The F1 is a fine battening blade so I leave the axe at home

Changes I could make.
There’s a cattle trough that’s mains fed a few fields away so I could sack off the Lifesaver
As there is plenty of fallen wood I could just take a sharp EDC and leave the Laplander and F1 at home.
If I was going a bit earlier on the Friday I could lose the hammock rig and build a kennel but that would be off-set by the weight of another meal.

Last edited:
The short answer for me is "too much." I am notorious for over packing. Every time I get back I say I'll pack less, but next time around, I always end up throwing things in.

After seeing this thread, I decided to spend this rainy Saturday, going through my pack, and determining what I could leave out and still have a good overnight/weekend trip with. It should be noted, that I am mostly a canoe camper, and I am not really interested in going "ultra-light." I like my tent, and I like my cozy sleeping pad. However, I do need to learn to pack less and know more. Using the canoe means my heavy loads aren't too big of an issue, except for when I have to go back to the car and I have to make 3 trips on the 800m portage.

But here is what I ended up with today.

DSC_3065.jpg

DSC_3066.jpg

This is my 70L MEC Slogg Dry Bag pack. It also has a hipbelt that I have removed as most of the time it sits in the canoe. I also have a 115L version of this in blue, but I only need that if I was going on a longer trip, or more probably going with a second person. (an extra sleeping pad is taking the position of my clothes/quilt compression sack, as I didn't feel like packing it).

DSC_3067.jpg

This is my sleep kit. This has changed quite a few times in the past couple of years, but I think I am quite happy with it now, despite the size. From left to right we have the MEC Viator down quilt, thermarest stuff sack pillow (inside is fleecey, so turn it inside out and stuff for a pillow, standard surplus style wool blanket, MEC Volt 3 Tent and poles (green and red/gray bags), and my MEC Reactor 6.5 sleeping pad.

The sleeping pad takes up quite a bit of room, but it is quite comfy at 6.5cm thick with an R value of 5.0. I am considering trying to fit this into a compression sack to see if it will pack smaller, same with the wool blanket. The down quilt and pillow usually goes into a compression sack with my clothes. I've recently slept with this kit during a frost warning here in NS, with temps going down to 0C in the night. I had some thermal clothing on and I stayed quite comfortable, but I wouldn't want to go much lower than that. I like the wool blanket as its great to sit on this over a life jacket by the fire, so its multi-use.

DSC_3068.jpg

My hygiene kit + some extras. Top row left to right: XL pack towel, 100ft paracord (will probably trim to 50ft), some work gloved, poncho which could double as a tarp if need be (could use some extra tie off points), and also in poncho bag is a mosquito net to go over my head if it calls for it (takes up little to no space/weight). Bottom row: TP ontop of my hygiene bag, shampoo, more TP (should pick one or other I guess), comb, afterbite, toothbrush and paste, deodorant, soap (thinking of switching to a bar, any recomendations?), bug repellent.

DSC_3070.jpg

tools, cooking, emerg, and water gear.
On the left I have my SAS Survival Guide Collins Gem mini edition, I like to have this if I want to practice a technique, or just for some reading material. A cheap snapon mini multi-tool. A Bahco PG-72 saw (at $18 CAD, I can't imagine the laplander is worth $32 more, this is a great saw), GB Outdoor Axe, Mora Bushcraft HD, Mora firesteel.
In the green maxpedition 12x5 water bottle bag I keep my cook kit. It is not fully contained in here however (expanded in next picture). Under that, my new honey stove, the plate and cover to a 14cm billy can (makes a great fry pan + bowl but if I'm eating dehydrated meals, not fresh, it is not needed), and cutting board. To the right my MSR Miniworks EX water filter, and a 1L nalagene everyday. I was hooked on stainless for a while, but I like the added fact of using it as a measuring cup if need be (lots of stainless to follow). And my "first aid kit" which has usual stuff + a compass, tylenol, water purification tablets, sewing needle and thread, signal mirror.

DSC_3071.jpg

Here is the exploded view of my cook kit. In the maxpedition I keep a 10cm billy with a trangia and a small vial of olive oil in the bottom. On top of that I keep the GSI stainless cup. In that I place a tube of gatorade powder enough for 1L (I like juice in the morning and this is a viable alternative), powdered milk and sugar (for tea or oatmeal), salt/pepper/Mrs. Dash in a shaker combo (in case a miracle happens and I catch a fish), a trangia pot gripper, and a mini pack towel for washing up. Usually also some steel wool. Then the billy lid and a small fuel bottle. I have a larger trangia bottle for longer outings, but I'm going to try to use wood more now a days with the Honey Stove.
In the outer pocket I keep a film canister of Instaflam, a film canister of cottonballs/vaseline mixture, a sucrets tin with some fire sticks, matches, butane lighter, and charcloth (overkill? maybe...), Ti KFS set (I hate sporks), another firesteel, and a sausage fork for the end of a stick. In the 14cm billy plate and lid I keep a mini UCO lantern, and my petzle headlamp (or headtorch as you guys call it :)

On top of that, usually a change of socks and underwear, another shirt, sweater, and warm socks. If it is going to be cold, I will bring long underwear, some heavy wool socks, a winter hat and gloves, and another sweater.

I'm a bit of an amature photographer and because I like to punish myself I don't just make due with my mobile phone camera or a point and shoot so this usually also comes with me

DSC_3072.jpg

DSC_3074.jpg

It's a pelican 1500 case I got used for $20. I also have a Pelican 1600 case which is significantly bigger. My good friend is also a photog, so I figure something like the 1600 will be good if we both want to bring gear.

This isn't all my gear, but I try to limit myself when I go camping. Not pictures as it's in use is my Nikon D7000 with SB700 flash unit. In the case is a Benro MeFoto tripod, air ball, flash diffuser, an SB600 flash taking the place of my SB700 for show, a Sigma (with Nikon cap) 10-20mm wide angle, it's hood, a battery grip with AA batteries, and a 50mm 1.4 lens. The battery grip is great, as if my LiOn battery in the camera dies I can power it with AA's in the grip, and I also have a Goal Zero solar kit that I did not picture which can charge AA's. I'm hoping to get the new 70-200mm F/4 telephoto, in which case it would go where the tripod is, and the tripod will have to go in it's own bag.

So that's what I was able to trim my kit down to today. Left out a rather large tarp, some extra lighting and cordage, spare knife(s), MSR Dromedary bag with shower kit, stuff sacks that were of no use, leatherman, 14cm billy. Also, I haven't packed any food... so thats a problem. I could squeeze in some "just add hot water" kits, but I really love fresh food on an overnight/weekend trip. Sausages at night, and bacon and eggs in the morning... mmmm.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on my kit, I'm pretty happy with it, but I wish my bag was maybe just 5-10L bigger :)

PS: Due to canoe camping, I'd also have to carry a life jacket, two paddles, and my emergency throw line as required by NS law.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE