How much do you carry on a weekend trip?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I did a bit of a clear out and reshuffle of my kit this weekend as I am trying to listen the load and have swapped over from a 70+10L pack to a 35L daypack and a maxpedition versipak and was surprised I could still fit everything I wanted/felt I needed.

I don't intend to start a war on what you should/should take with you (though I suspect it will descend into one ;) ) but wondered what everyone takes away for a few days and what size of pack it goes in.

My current kit is as follows -

Camping kit
In rucksack -
Sleeping bag (vango venom 400 down bag)
Bivi tent (snugpak stratosphere)
Roll mat 3/4 length
Tarp
Socks
Food
Water - 2.5L
Cook pot and wood gas stove
Toilet paper
Spork (not pink in case mr fenna is around) and sausage fork

In versipak -
Knife, axe (gb mini hatchet), folding saw, catapult, headtorch, torch
Fire lighting kit
Water - 1L
First aid kit
Phone
Spare cordage
Batteries

I mention water as all areas I camp in have no water source (fresh or otherwise) so we all have to take our own, there are usually 3 of us and as two of us lend out almost a full kit to the other he is our resident water pack mule!

Anyway that's my current weekend away kit and I'm pretty sure I could reduce this down even more though I do like to have a little bit of comfort and as many options as possible to make life relatively easy/varied depending on what mood takes me.

So what pack are you using and what's in it?

Hamster

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It all depends on what I'm doing really, I'm happy carrying cuben fiber goodies, titanium, dehydrated meals and hauling a 8kg pack for 200 miles. But I'm also just as happy taking a 75L pack and filling it with wool clothes and sharps and plodding 2 miles into the woods.

I have far too much kit, fact, but I like to be able to have different setups depending on what I'm hoping to achieve. I like woods time but I also like starry nights high on a hill top.

The season has a big impact on my pack size, if I'm doing full winter hammock mode then I need 60-70L for my down quilts and extra clothes, I don't like compressing my down too much. Summer hammocking I'm good with 30-45L with smaller and lighter quilts. Ground dwelling is the same too, lightweight tarp, tent or Trailstar, PHD bag, NeoAir mat, Jetboil Sol Ti etc etc

Last edited:

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Depends on the time of year.

But here is what I had on my last one:

Sleep
TW Bivi Hornet Hammock
Snugpak underblanket
4,5x3 DD Hammock tarp
Sleeping bag
foam pad (for sitting in camp etc)
Jerven Thermo Hunter bivi/survival bag

Sharps:
Hultafors felling axe
Bow saw
Enzo Trapper knife
Leuku knife
Opinel #8 folding knife
SAK

Cooking
Folding handle frying pan (anodized aluminium, non stick)
Camp fire kettle
Multifuel stove
Solo cook kit

Clothes (Packet as a dry kit)
Fleece sweater
Merino wool base layer (for sleeping in)
Extra pair of thick and thin wool socks
Extra pair of mittens (felted wool)
Extra wool hat (beanie)

+ food

All hauled in on my paris expedition pulk. Going to miss that in the summer.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I can only mirror Shewie's words really, although my toys aren't as shiny as his :D.
I tend to classify my gear as my 'mountain kit' and 'woods kit' so it depends on where I'm going and the sort of experience I'm looking for.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Difficult to answer this one as all my trips are a bit different.

I have common kit though that makes nearly every trip;

Hammock and straps
Tarp with doors
Down underquilt
Ti stakes
Mora Triflex
Saw of some sort
3l source bladder w inline filter and 2l source liquitainer
Spare cord
Fak
Dried baby wipes and bogroll
Petrol lighter
Hobo stove and 0.9l ti billy
Instant coffee, sugar, powdered milk
Phone

rg598

Native
It depends on the time of year.

My three season gear: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-three-season-camping-and-bushcraft.html

My winter gear: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/03/my-winter-backpacking-and-bushcraft-gear.html

If I am specifically going hunting, I will have about another pound of additional dear (calls, drag, etc) and my gun (about 6-7 lb, either a shotgun or rifle or appropriate caliber). If I am fishing, I will bring my fishing gear which is about another pound.

Biker al

Apr 4, 2013
Renfrewshire
As I do most of my wild camping by motorcycle , I have cut my kit down to the minimum .
Army sleeping bag and bivvie , tarp, poles and para cord , Kelly kettle , small pot set , cutlery ,fire making kit , first aid kit , water purification tabs , couple of knifes , axe , compass, head torch , small brass telescope, complete change of clothing , tele fishing kit , iPod , book , camera , baby wipes , very small folfing shovel ,and prob some other small bits and pieces

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
This is my base kit list - Food, fuel, water etc is the only variable depending on duration of outing :) Oh also add my titanium spork and leatherman multi tool For food I usually use ready meals that need heating, for me the extra weight is offset by the extra water needed for dehydrated meals :)

Kit Lists
Using TentGrammesUsing Bivi BagGrammesNotes
Karrimor SF 60-1002450.00Karrimor SF 60-1002450.00Rucksac used without side pockets
Snugpak Elite 41950.00Snugpak Elite 41950.00Cold/Winter Bag
Thermarest Ventra Down Quilt690.00Thermarest Ventra Down Quilt690.00Summer Bag
Thermarest Prolite Reg Mat460.00Thermarest Prolite Reg Mat460.00
Luxe Peak II1650.00Carinthia Observer Bivi1650.00Bivi & Tent same weight but bivi has smaller pack size
Cook/Brew Kit650.00Cook/Brew Kit650.00Evernew titanium 600ml pan, 450ml cup, spirit burner,
titanium pan support, vargo stove base, 1lt plastic bottle
Cold/Winter Base Weight7160.007160.00
Summer Base Weight5900.005900.00

Last edited:

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
depends on what i'm doing, and what season.

most of my kit stays the same(for the most part), changes are usually for the season and hike duration.

not in any order:
1. knife/saw or hatchet (I usually only carry an axe if im planning on building a larger shelter).
2. firestarter
3. crusader cookset with bottle and water filter
4. cordage
5. tarp/blanket or sleeping bag.
6. first aid kit(small)
7. food/drinks
8. map/compass
9. toiletries
10. fabric repair kit(needles, etc)
11. backpack
12. journal & writing tools
13. fishing kit(small pocket flybox & collapsible rod/reel)
14. sometimes I take a small crank weather band radio
15. change of underwear/ 2 extra pairs wool socks/sweater/parka, etc
16. sunglasses/insect repellent
17. PSK

and any other items/tools I might need for personal projects while in the field.
i.e.: firearms for hunting, etc.

I cant really think of anything else since I generally use my time to practice primitive skills, fish or hunt, etc.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks all for the replies so far its good to get an idea of what everyone else is taking away with them and whats considered important in terms of weight/space verus comfort/versatility.

I should of noted that i had a woodland weekend in mind when writing the thread though i hadnt considered the season side of things and would probably need a larger pack in the depths of winter for a blanket.

All the best, Hamster

rg598

Native
Thanks all for the replies so far its good to get an idea of what everyone else is taking away with them and whats considered important in terms of weight/space verus comfort/versatility.

I should of noted that i had a woodland weekend in mind when writing the thread though i hadnt considered the season side of things and would probably need a larger pack in the depths of winter for a blanket.

All the best, Hamster

Get a good sleeping bag instead. That way you can use a much smaller pack and actually stay warm.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
2x 58 water bottles (1L of water each)
Highlander challenger lite 100 sleeping bag
Goretex bivvi bag
Poncho tarp with about 10m of paracord
Zebra billy can
Axe, small and lightweight with plastic handle
Teabags
Sugar
Sponge
KFS
Mora Clipper
Lighter or firesteel
Food

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Kit is dependent on activity, my kit always end up with stuff I don't need no matter what I do. Kind of a universal rule for me. It's down to not fixing my activity. I take stuff to do something else on the trip. For example a Mora clipper for hill based overnighters nowhere near trees In the hills with no real use for it. Or a new stove system with a back-up because you've not trialled it before you went.

I use anything from a 20litre ALPKIT gourdon if a sneaky overnight with no need to cook to a 50 litre monster climbing sack for a longer trip in the hills without refueling. I always try to keep below the magic 10kg total kit weight. Anything below that and it is not significantly different from a typical day's walk with a simple day sack kit level. My new overnight/weekend sack weighs about 600g or less about 32 litres and has loads of pockets and other storage bits. Innov8 racepac, a gd sack for fast and light I hope as I've yet to get out with it on an overnight.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I would love I be able to go away for a weekend with a 35 litre pack!!

That is my main aim!!
I still pack way too much rubbish!!
Mainly spare clothes!!

I can do an over nighter with food and water in a 40 litre though.

For a weekend I would pack

Mora

Gerber multi tool

Laplander

Tent/ hammock and tarp

Down quilt/sleeping bag

Exped synmat/under blanket

Myog bathtub ground sheet

Spare clothes and warm jumper

Sleep clothes (normally softie trews, norgie and a pair of heat holders)

Source 3l bladder with inline filter and pre filter

Element wood stove with trangia/honey stove/wood gas clone/Coleman f1 lite gas stove

Meths/gas

Kfs

Primus trek kettle billy

Tesco ally kettle

Non stick fry pan

Folding pack grill

Head torch and spare batts

Food

Repair kit (gaffa tape, mcnett seam seal,cable ties, spare cordage)

Ipood an toilet kit

Brew kit

Cup

First aid kit

Gaiters

Fire kit

Wash kit

Battery charger for phone/iPod

iPod and dab radio

Can't think of much more lol, I'm slowly replacing the old stainless steel stuff for ally and titanium and my synthetic bags for down but it takes a small fortune.

Cheers
Steve

Elen Sentier

I like ultralight too. For a 2-3 day trip out wild-camping I take –

In Gossamer Gear Murmur sack …

Tent/Tarp – GG “The One” + ti pegs
RAB Bivy sack
Sleeping bag + silk liner
Thermarest + ¾ cell-mat
Socks, pants, thermals, cashmere jumper, fleece
Food
Water 2-3L
Billycan, ti mug, Milbank bag, purification tabs

In Snugpak response pack
Honey stove
Toilet paper, Trowel
Metal spoon
Knife, folding saw
Spare cordage
Head torch
Small tarp
1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid kit + meds

In jerkin pockets …
Tinder box – fire-steel, matches, cotton/Vaseline balls, charcloth, lighter, mirror-lid for signalling
Car keys
Whistle + compass
Money
Skin cream, lip balm, eye ointment
Insect repellent + Mossie head net
Phone
Batteries
Extra diabetes & eyes 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid kit

In Rohan raincoat …
Pen + notebook + Kindle (for reading)
Gloves + warm hat

And I always take my walking staff :D

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I would love I be able to go away for a weekend with a 35 litre pack!!

That is my main aim!!
I still pack way too much rubbish!!
Mainly spare clothes!!

I can do an over nighter with food and water in a 40 litre though.

For a weekend I would pack

Mora

Gerber multi tool

Laplander

Tent/ hammock and tarp

Down quilt/sleeping bag

Exped synmat/under blanket

Myog bathtub ground sheet

Spare clothes and warm jumper

Sleep clothes (normally softie trews, norgie and a pair of heat holders)

Source 3l bladder with inline filter and pre filter

Element wood stove with trangia/honey stove/wood gas clone/Coleman f1 lite gas stove

Meths/gas

Kfs

Primus trek kettle billy

Tesco ally kettle

Non stick fry pan

Folding pack grill

Head torch and spare batts

Food

Repair kit (gaffa tape, mcnett seam seal,cable ties, spare cordage)

Ipood an toilet kit

Brew kit

Cup

First aid kit

Gaiters

Fire kit

Wash kit

Battery charger for phone/iPod

iPod and dab radio

Can't think of much more lol, I'm slowly replacing the old stainless steel stuff for ally and titanium and my synthetic bags for down but it takes a small fortune.

Cheers
Steve

I'll be honest it's taken me a long time to get into the mindset of not taking gear I know I probably won't need. I tend to have a "just in case" mentality and still take a lot I could probably so away with but whereas it used to be an extra stove, a full change of clothes or 3 different knives for different tasks its now just a bit of extra food, a backup fire lighting method (gas lighter) or a few extra bits in my FAK.

It helps that I'm slowly replacing some of my original kit with smaller, lighter (but much more expensive :( ) alternatives

Still to sure the small pack is going to be the way to go as it is full to bursting with everything in it but I know if I take anything larger i will find things I "need" to fill the extra space.

Hamster

Elen Sentier

What does that weigh in at Ellen?

I'm gutted I didn't come and look at your gg tent!! They make some cracking gear!!

Well all right, I'll bring it again in June but I want to swing then so you can play with it :). And I think it came to something like 15-18lbs last time I tried, that's including a load of food and 3L of water. With the Bilbank bag and the Honey stove I can get away with collecting, filtering and boiling water.

Edit: I forgot, there'll be another 3lbs+ in the response pack and a pound maybe in the pockets.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If I'm out walking Saturday and Sunday with just a night out then my ideal kit list would be below. The reality is I add to this if there's space in my pack.

Tarp, rab survival zone bivvy, ccf cut down to fit my torso, go lite quilt (gd to -7C), bladder 2l full with Drinksafe filter, stove (gas if small sack such as a 20l), Ti pegs, dyneema guys (1.5mm OK for me) and clothes. Also gas can, Ti cargo pot, matches/lighter in case the pz ignition fails. It never does in over 6 years regular use.

Typically for smaller sacks in good weather I'd probably only carry a synth vest, windshirt, gloves and hat. If rain then I have a 350+g goretex pro shell cag to be strapped to outside of the gourdon sack, the vest is in one pocket and the pot in the other with can and stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE