Hello from Glossop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muncus

Hi there, I hope you are all well and enjoying yourselves?

I thought I best say hello, as I have been reading these forums for months and you seem like a friendly bunch.

Well I'm James, I live in Glossop - Derbyshire. I enjoy walking, mountain biking and - well most outdoor activities. Two days a week I study for an NVQ in Countryside Management with the BTCV in Derby, and I discovered this site when I was looking for inspiration for something to make with a bit of my first felled tree. I did attempt a spoon, but a lack of patience and proper tools made it go quite badly wrong!

Anyway this is a great place to while away time, and I hope I can contribute something soon.

James

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi James - welcome to the forum

How do you find the BTCV stuff ? I`m looking into doing some at the moment.

Muncus

How do you find the BTCV stuff ? I`m looking into doing some at the moment.

Hi Shewie

The BTCV stuff is fairly good fun, since September we have spent at least one day a week doing woodland work - thinning Sycamore and Ash, Rhododendron clearing and burning and working a Willow coppice at Carsington water. We have also done some footpaths, reed pulling (the least favourite task) and planting wild flowers. The only drawback is the health and safety aspect, and for the first few weeks you find yourself constantly being told not to leave digging kit upright and not to use gloves with a swinging tool. But once you get used to these foibles it's a great way to spend your time.

Where will you be doing your work?

Muncus

Hi James,
I am just over the hill in Edale.
Welcome to the forum

Hi Robin,

I do go walking round Edale quite often, but must admit I have yet to spy your grand new woodstore.
I should expect that once I have save the pennies I'll join you on one of your spoon carving courses, my first attempt was a disaster (I may post a picture if I can find it) and I've got a Clipper and a hook knife coming my way for my birthday, so I best know how to use them.

Muncus

Hello mate, welcome to the forum.

Confession time....when I saw your thread, I thought "Why would anyone call themself Mucus?":rolleyes:

Sorry!:eek:

Simon

Hi Simon

Well I was given the name Muncus when I was drunkenly trying to explain how snuff worked, I tried to say "Mucus membrane" and I slipped an extra n in and it just stuck, but it's handy for usernames etc.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Shewie

The BTCV stuff is fairly good fun, since September we have spent at least one day a week doing woodland work - thinning Sycamore and Ash, Rhododendron clearing and burning and working a Willow coppice at Carsington water. We have also done some footpaths, reed pulling (the least favourite task) and planting wild flowers. The only drawback is the health and safety aspect, and for the first few weeks you find yourself constantly being told not to leave digging kit upright and not to use gloves with a swinging tool. But once you get used to these foibles it's a great way to spend your time.

Where will you be doing your work?

Thanks Muncus

Not sure where I`ll end up, I was looking at the Yorkshire region but a lot of it`s kiddie based and I`m not really into that side of it. I was looking to get my hands dirty with some manual conservation tasks so I`ll just keep my eye open.

Muncus

Thanks Muncus

Not sure where I`ll end up, I was looking at the Yorkshire region but a lot of it`s kiddie based and I`m not really into that side of it. I was looking to get my hands dirty with some manual conservation tasks so I`ll just keep my eye open.

I'll have a word this Monday to see if I can get you a contact for Yorkshire, I know they do more manual conservation work from Sheffield, but this may be too far south for you.

You could try your local Wildlife Trust to see if they have volunteer groups, and most council nature reserves and parks have "Friends of" groups to qualify for lottery money.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll have a word this Monday to see if I can get you a contact for Yorkshire, I know they do more manual conservation work from Sheffield, but this may be too far south for you.

You could try your local Wildlife Trust to see if they have volunteer groups, and most council nature reserves and parks have "Friends of" groups to qualify for lottery money.

Sheffield`s not a big headache I suppose, I can be in the Hillsborough then Ladybower area in about 40 minutes depending on traffic.

The "Friends of" groups always put me off as they sound a bit "flask of soup and jam butties" to me. I guess I just want to be chopping up wood somewhere nice and remote and not talking about coach trips to Brighton with a load of retired ex hippies :240:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE