Hammocks.I fancy getting one,what type?.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Doc said:
1) I would expect it is colder than a tent or low basha in winter. Anyone tried it?
A few have done extensive testing and i plan to do this myself now during the fall & winter. You can insulate using either a hammockquilt (basically a big sleepingbag for hammocks that is put out on the outside, or some sort of insulation (usually foampads) inside it. What you mostly want to avoid is getting wind to blow through the bottom of the hammock chilling it.

Doc said:
2) Do you need a specially long tarp? My basha is the standard 2.5m long - is this too short for use with a hammock?
It depends on how long your hammock is. The hammock is usually upwards 3 m but it is in a U pattern and not straight. Best thing is to have the hammock close to the tarp roof and a tarp that is about as long as the hammock.

Doc said:
3) Do you get rain running down the support ropes into the hammock?
Yes. This is the reason you need to use drip-lines and a connection that doesn't transfer water easilly from the support ropes to the actual hammock.

Doc said:
4) Does it damage the tree bark?
Most tree barks seems to take even rope without any problems. Some people use webbing slings (or just straight webbing) to spare the trees a bit more.

Doc said:
5) How about weights? Maybe I'm unfit but I do like to keep the pack weight down. The hammock idea is tempting as my one man tent is 2kg but my basha is just 250g.
You will look at abour 400g -> 1200g. It all depends on how tough of a hammock you want/need. The 400g variants in lighter & weaker forms of nylon works fine if you are around 50-80kg weight. If you are upwards 110-120kg you need stronger materials such as rip-stop nylon or even Cordura nylon. These materials weigh from 190-210g / m so they usually end up around 1200-1300g.

This however means that your entire setup will still not be above 1500g.

Doc said:
Must admit to being tempted to get an ebay or paradise hammock.
Best part of those are that they are cheap. So IF the hammock doesn't fit you or is too weak, it's not a big loss :) And as mentioned before, if you are in the "normal" weight category it's usually not an issue. If you, like me, are in the "Big bloke" category most ebay hammocks are just not up to the challenge. And of course, it probably doesn't mean that it will break the second i sit on it, but it will wear out faster due to increased load.

Enjoy hammocking :)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Doc

At the meet up I will show you the solutions I have found. I have slept out in my hammock during nights that have dropped to -10 and still been toasty warm. You want a good sleeping bag and a mat under you but that should do it.

Using climbing tape instead of rope or webbing straps should protect the tree.

Weight wise the hammock sst up should not really be any heavier than a bivi bag and basha set up. you probably want a tarp about 3m long but in saying that RM sells the Ecosystem with a 2.7m hootchi.

Like I say I will show you more at the meet up. I have arranged a group buy of hammocks but the guaranteed numbers have already been taken. If you put your name down you might get one if some people drop out.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I have one of the ebay hammocks and are generally great for the rag and tag of the British weather when camping in the woods. I dont think I would trust a hammock for winter use mind, but am willing to give it a go. I bought a couple of climbing karabiners and some extra webbing from the ebay guy and will adapt them when I get a look at the eco system DVD (basically the same ideas, others have adapted on here). I will also purchase some extra bits and bobs from pointnorth.co.uk, as they sell lots of great accessories that can be fixed to your adapted camping gear. I also have a Moskito hammock (one with the integral mossie net), this is great for lightweight camping, but the max load is 90Kg, again could probably be adapted for the larger camper that will use the eco system karribiners and webbing set up.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks all. Look forward to 'show and tell' at the Scottish meet.

I did wonder about weight as Ray' full eco-system weighs MORE than my tent. It's over 2kg. :eek: Not a problem if you're freighting it in a canoe, but if you're travelling by Shanks' pony.....

There are a lot of hammocks on the market and it is a bit confusing. I am very impressed with Kathmandu kit and although everyone seems to be using their tarps and bivvy bags I've yet to hear from anyone who's tried their hammocks.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Yes, hammocks are colder than sleeping on the ground. The colder it gets, the more insulation (or pads you will need) for example (Stolen from www.hammockcamping.com )
>75F*** Thin cotton sheet & no sleeping pad
70-75F* 48-rated sleeping bag &*** no pad
60-70F* 48-rated sleeping bag & 1/4" pad
50-60F* 38-rated sleeping bag & 1/4" pad
40-50F* 25-rated sleeping bag & 1/2" pad
30-40F* 25-rated sleeping bag &*** 1" pad
20-30F* 15-rated sleeping bag &*** 2" pad
10-20F*** 0-rated sleeping bag &*** 2" pad

There are also cheaper ways to stay warm in a hammock than buying an underquilt or a peapod.
http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington Insulator/GIversion2.htm
or
http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm
or even
http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm

I'd like to have a go at making one of those warmhammocks of Risk's some time. It does help if you or someone who is very fond of you can sew...

MagiKelly

The Kathmandu hammock would be smaller than I would like. I prefer it to be the 2m wide to get a good diagonal on it.

I was really concerned aboiut being cold before I got one but have really not found it a problem. All these underquilts etc seem like overkill to me.

As to weight the thing with the ecosystem is that you can leave bits out. In summer you need the midgie netting but a lighter sleeping bag and mat. In winter no midgie net but a better bag and mat. Best be it at the meet up I will have a spare hammock with me (maybe more than one). Spend the night in it or if you do not want to leave the boys in the tent alone take it away with you and give it a try. You can get it back to me when you have tried it out.

For the best weight solution the Hennessy is probably the way to go.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Magikelly wrote:
The Kathmandu hammock would be smaller than I would like. I prefer it to be the 2m wide to get a good diagonal on it.

John, of course, is about nine foot tall and was the first Scot to play for the Harlem Globetrotters... :)

Seriously though, thanks for the offer. I may postpone any serious purchasing till after the meet.

Regarding sleeping mats in hammocks, are the closed cell (Karrimat) type preferable to the Thermarest type for this application, or does it not really matter?

MagiKelly

Doc said:
Regarding sleeping mats in hammocks, are the closed cell (Karrimat) type preferable to the Thermarest type for this application, or does it not really matter?

I don't think it matters. I use a thermarest but I have heard of plenty using a closed cell one. I am tempted to try a 3/4 lenth one but as you say with the canoe why bother.

If you have a look about I am sure they have childrens sized hammock for short people ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE