Hammocks.I fancy getting one,what type?.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Motorbike Man said:
Definetly be interested in seeing those Moduser :D

Me too Moduser! ;)
Any hints as to what they might be, or indeed what modifications you consider necessary for an open, homemade example?

Ogri the trog

leon-1

I wonder why is price such an issue, I have seen and used kit that is very reasonably priced and the difference is minimal.

£15 as opposed to £150, it sounds more like EGO than actual work, I have said it before and will say it again, "If it works, It works".

Cost means nothing, it is individual taste and choice. I will stick with that idea longer than someone who goes out and buys a brand name. My justification apart from anyhting else is; if someone is capable of turning out a Thai hammock that I am comfotable in for £15 then why pay £135 pounds more, I can still modify it for far less. :)

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I have also purchased one of the ebay hammocks described above on the strenght of what is being discussed here. I can see the advantages of all the systems but for me it is a matter of cost. Why spend all that money when I can adapt my own system to my requirements and will look relatively unique. I am worried that 'Bushcraft' is becoming fashionable on the strength of a said TV programme. People are buying expensive gear that may get little use or for their needs. Lets hope we will see HH and WL knives/gear flooding boot sales in the years to come.

On a seperate note I am interested in attatching my mosquito net (multi point job) to or around the hammock and am wondering the best methods achieved by others. I was reading on another site that mosquitos aim for the underneath area of the hammock where your bum pokes down rather than around the head, sodoes the net have to cover the hammock entirely??

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I have the Eco system, love it, cant find fault with it.

I have been toying with the idea of designing a hammock that would allow you to roll it sort of like a pioneer blanket bag to carry gear in. You could of course do this with any hammock folded right, but I`m sketching out ideas for something designed for the purpose.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I was out in mine last night so took some pics of the system I was describing, showing the carabiners and how they work. Sorry for no set up pics but it was dark when I pitched, and further apologies for the poor quality of the photos but I only had my phone on me. :eek:

Pitched before take down

Sleeping bag/thermarest packed away

Clip hammock up with dry bag at centre

Release suspension tapes at hammock end

Hammock clipped up with carabiners so not in contact with ground

Release suspension tapes at tree end

Hank both supension tapes

Then stuff the hammock into dry bag (centre first) and take down hoochie.

moduser said:
My Ebay hammock arrived today as well. I've seen Leon-1's so know what to expect. Plan to make some modifications to it which I'll post when there done.

I emailed the guy selling these hammocks and he told me he hopes to have a waterproof version of this hammock for sale next spring.

He lives in Edinburgh, and also asked whether any bushcrafter groups in the area would be interested in a demo........ :cool:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Fenlander said:
I emailed the guy selling these hammocks and he told me he hopes to have a waterproof version of this hammock for sale next spring.

He lives in Edinburgh, and also asked whether any bushcrafter groups in the area would be interested in a demo........ :cool:

Tell him to register than come along to the next Scottish Meet Up. He will be more than welcome.

leon-1 said:
Hi MBM, I can tell you exactly what it is like as I have one that I bought for the Merthyr Mawr meet.

They are pretty sturdy pack down quite small and are lightweight. The sashes on it are long (they quote nine meters) and the sash material is tubular webbing, which makes it very strong, so they are also softer on the tree bark.

It is a thai hammock design. Thai hammocks you can sleep on top of both layers or inside and as long as you have adequate insulation under you, therma-rest or reindeer pelt, they are pretty good all year round.

All in all, I thought that for the money they are well worth it :D

I bought one of these and it arrived today :)

Having inspected the seem joining the two pieces of material, I would suggest heat sealing the edges to prevent them fraying any further :eek:
I use a soldering iron to do this ;)

The quality seems almost as good as the Nomad tai hammock, though it is quite a bit heavier.

Aug 9, 2005
I sleep in a Hennessy Hammock (Explorer Deluxe) and love it. The only problem is that my underside gets cold: I'm awaiting the arrival of their patented undercover which should warm things up nicely. Can't fault construction, weight, ease of use - and most importantly comfort - at all. Their customer service is excellent too.

MagiKelly

Thomas the Tank Engine said:
I sleep in a Hennessy Hammock (Explorer Deluxe) and love it. The only problem is that my underside gets cold: I'm awaiting the arrival of their patented undercover which should warm things up nicely. Can't fault construction, weight, ease of use - and most importantly comfort - at all. Their customer service is excellent too.

I think the Hennessy is a great system. Probably the lightest all in solution as there is no waste. Enough insect netting with no waste etc, however I am moving towards the openness of the Ecosystem type but still think the Hennessy is great value for money.

BUT in my experiance they have the worst customer service of any company I have had to deal with. I will not bore you with the details but if you do a search on Hennessy Hammocks on this site you will find details. I am sure there service is not always as I experianced it, if it was they would have no customers so perhaps I was unlucky.

MagiKelly

I have never been cold in any hammock. I have a thermarest in the sleeping bag with me and that seems to do fine. I have slept in my HH at tempretures of -10 and still been fine. Of course I was using bags rated for the tempreture and in winter sleeping in long johns and socks but that should be obvious.

Edit

I should add that I like the idea of the convienience of the underquilt but I just do not like it. I can't say why as it ticks all the boxes I just do not like it.

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
Motorbike Man said:
I know the old ebay thing about if it looks too good to be true it probably is, but has anyone had any experiance of these?

As a complete newbie to the world of hammocks I can definitely recommend this hammock for a first timer who wants to check out what the fuss is all about. Got mine this morning and had it up in the trees with no problems (apart from my cat trying to get in it... :rolleyes: ). Seems to do its job perfectly well. Nice and cheap too!

J

Jamie

MagiKelly said:
BUT in my experiance they have the worst customer service of any company I have had to deal with. I will not bore you with the details but if you do a search on Hennessy Hammocks on this site you will find details. I am sure there service is not always as I experianced it, if it was they would have no customers so perhaps I was unlucky.

Hi John

I am sorry that you have experienced the above with Hennessy direct.

What I would like to remind you, and everybody that either currently owns a Hennessy or is thinking of buying one, that being the UK distributor of the Expedition and Explorer Deluxe models (the other models will be coming in force to the UK in the next 6 months or so) we take on the responsibility for all customer service for UK bought Hennessy’s – and this is a responsibility we take very seriously indeed.

We have had no complaints with our level of service that we are aware of and have also, in certain circumstances, taken on the responsibility of non UK bought Hennessy’s, something we are not obliged to do but feel that it is our duty to give the overall package.

We are a phone call or email away for anyone that has any problems and we don’t mess around – if someone is unhappy or dissatisfied we want to make sure that the issue is dealt with professionally, courteously and with minimum fuss.

I hope that this clears up any customer service issues so please do not hesitate in contacting me, or Jack, if you have any queries whatsoever.

All the best

Jamie

MagiKelly

Thanks Jamie. I was aware of your involvement with Hennessy but not of the extent. I have dealt with Woodland Organics on a number of occasions and am confident that dealing with you would be without problem. This can only be for the good of Hennessy's reputation in the UK

K

KenC

I may be a bit late to this discussion, but here's my 10p.

I've got the Rays Mears Eco system and have just bought the Hennessy Exped A-sym for my son. The Eco hammock is fantasitc. Very wide, easy to set up. comfy, flexible. The Hennessy is lighter and easier to set up, because you don't have to fix up the tarp independently, but this has disadvantages too. (Esp. for setting while raining + general flexibility of overall package). It's also smaller and more claustraphobic - less of a feeling of sleeping under the stars.

So, overall, value for money the Hennessy wins - but I still prefer the Eco.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Brilliant thread - loads of useful info.

Although I've slept out under a basha or in a tent quite a bit, I've yet to do so in a hammock. I am tempted as I sat in Sandbender's eco-system and Magikelly's Hennessy and they are undeniably comfortable.

I just wondered:

1) I would expect it is colder than a tent or low basha in winter. Anyone tried it?
2) Do you need a specially long tarp? My basha is the standard 2.5m long - is this too short for use with a hammock?
3) Do you get rain running down the support ropes into the hammock?
4) Does it damage the tree bark?
5) How about weights? Maybe I'm unfit but I do like to keep the pack weight down. The hammock idea is tempting as my one man tent is 2kg but my basha is just 250g.

Must admit to being tempted to get an ebay or paradise hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE