Hammocks.I fancy getting one,what type?.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
So what are the advantages/disadvantages between the hennessy type and the regulat type hammocks ? Thanks.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Clem: Time to talk out of my bottom for a while as i haven't built a Hennesey asymmetrical yet :)

But from what i've gathered, the biggest advantage of a Hennesey is the diagonal resting position. You can achieve this in a normal straight one aswell but since it is sewn into a asymetrical shape, it does it a bit better.

This also means you need to use a bit less fabric (not much) than in a straight hammock since you are utilizing the fabric better. It does however require you to use 3-4 lines, 2 loadbearing and 2 stretching, instead of two. But i think most hennesey's can be used as a normal straight one aswell (allthough somewhat "crooked").

These are observations only that i've gathered from examining their design & reading peoples opinion here on the forums. So if anyone have any different opinion re. the difference, please correct me =)

/HuBBa

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Motorbike-man. That looks like a standard thai hammock (as seen on the DYI). The enclosed features might not be good for most people and you could wonder a bit exactly what type of nylon "Parachute nylon" is. The site states breathable and extremely tough but that really tells you nothing. Normally strength is not a big issue unless you are like me, a big-stoned bloke :p:p:p

But for £15 you wont be ruined if it's crap :) (Imho, that price might just cover the cost of the materials actually. )

leon-1

Motorbike Man said:
I know the old ebay thing about if it looks too good to be true it probably is, but has anyone had any experiance of these?

Hi MBM, I can tell you exactly what it is like as I have one that I bought for the Merthyr Mawr meet.

They are pretty sturdy pack down quite small and are lightweight. The sashes on it are long (they quote nine meters) and the sash material is tubular webbing, which makes it very strong, so they are also softer on the tree bark.

It is a thai hammock design. Thai hammocks you can sleep on top of both layers or inside and as long as you have adequate insulation under you, therma-rest or reindeer pelt, they are pretty good all year round.

All in all, I thought that for the money they are well worth it :D

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Spacemonkey said:
The ones from Trek Direct are actually from the site I mention in the US as he actually makes them. If you buy from the US they work out half price. I have been given a great deal on a pair of Jungle Hammocks that was irresistable, as the pair with postage from the US work out less than Trek Direct want for 1!!!

What was the postage to the UK for them? I know the site says free but I assume that's just in the US?

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Its looking as if the Hennessy hammock is going to be the best choice i reckon.

leon-1 said:
Hi MBM, I can tell you exactly what it is like as I have one that I bought for the Merthyr Mawr meet.

They are pretty sturdy pack down quite small and are lightweight. The sashes on it are long (they quote nine meters) and the sash material is tubular webbing, which makes it very strong, so they are also softer on the tree bark.

It is a thai hammock design. Thai hammocks you can sleep on top of both layers or inside and as long as you have adequate insulation under you, therma-rest or reindeer pelt, they are pretty good all year round.

All in all, I thought that for the money they are well worth it :D
Hmm...looks like it could be a good entry into hammock camping then. What about durability, I'm 6'2" and around the 17 - 18 stone area, is it going to be strong enough do you think?

leon-1

Motorbike Man said:
Hmm...looks like it could be a good entry into hammock camping then. What about durability, I'm 6'2" and around the 17 - 18 stone area, is it going to be strong enough do you think?

Ok mate, I am 5' 10" and weigh 13.5 stone at the moment. They say that it is good to 150Kg (the sashes will do this easily), 11 stone is 75Kg so 150Kg is 22 stone :), this should give you a little leeway :)

A

Andrzej

I have just taken delivery of one of those US jungle hammocks as recommended by Space monkey. Having unpacked it, all the strings are nicely attached around a ring at each end.
How should I attach it to a post?

Do I go and buy a karrabiner and a length of climbing tape for each end or will string suffice. Either way how would I tie the hammock up with each method, what know to use etc.

any help would be much appreciated,
otherwise I will be sleeping on the floor at the weekend with a hammock for a bivi bag, hahaha

Shepherd

Tenderfoot
wentworth said:
Hi Shepherd, your Hennessy looks like it's set up pretty loose. Was the hammock set up with the ridge line straight/taut?

I thought i would get picked up on that. No.. It was taught and i took it down then quickly remembered that i wanted to take a photo so quickly threw it up to show it off. Sheesh you can't get anything past you guys.. :)

Also... A word of warning... last nights forcast predicted a hot one so i thought i would string my hammock up in the garden and sleep there for a laugh...

As a result i have descovered that cherry trees are stronger than fences.. :rolleyes:

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Andrzej said:
I have just taken delivery of one of those US jungle hammocks as recommended by Space monkey.
Quite right too!

Andrzej said:
Having unpacked it, all the strings are nicely attached around a ring at each end.
How should I attach it to a post?

I use a doubled up lenght of paracord on each ring that is about 4 metres long each end. This easily holds my 10.5 stone weight, but does stretch a little when weighted. Not a problem though. Like I said, this is a cheap hammock, so sacrifices are made, but saying that it is perfecly good, and I use it now unitl my new one arrives from the US. I'm using it all this weekend too. You could attach rope easily to each ring and string it up.

leon-1

Motorbike Man said:
Woohoo!!! Just got me a hammock :D All I need to do know is learn the knots to stop me having an abrupt wakening in the night :rolleyes:

Believe it or not since I have been using one I have been using a bow for tying your shoes and it has never let me down yet after a few wraps around the tree :D

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
MagiKelly said:
I have a Hennessy and am very happy with it but at the recent Scottish Meet up I had a look at Sandbender's ecosystem and liked the open feel of it. The Hennessy has the comfort of a hammock but has the feal of being sort of in a tent. However, I felt the Ecosystem was overpriced. I had a look around and bought a Double Hammock from Paradise Hammocks. This is the same size and construction as the Ecosystem. I then went out and bought 2 big carabiners and 10m of climbing tape. I took the original hanging fittings out and put the caribiners through the ends of the hammock. I cut the climbing tape into two 5m lenths and sewed loops in the ends. Total cost about £68 compared to £145 for the ecosystem. Here is a couple of pictures of a friend trying it out.

Now here is a close up of the carabiners. Notice the loops I sewed in the tapes are not what takes the weight. You tie the ends to the trees then take up the slack at the caribiners and tie them off there. This was an aspect of the Ecosystem I really liked.

hammock3.jpg

Sounds very familiar :)
I would recomend not putting the carabiners through the hammock but a bit of paracord or similar through the hammock and clip the carabiner to the paracord. It works better at preventing drips reaching the hammock.
This pic may help to show what I mean;

You can see a bit better in this one but its from last year before I switched to carabiners and climbing tape (stainless steel rings and regular nylon webbing instead).

Carabiners are better than rings, they're stronger, have other uses, you can quickly detatch the suspension lines (for packing up when wet, so the hammock stays dry) and they aid in set up as you can clip them up underneath your hoochie so the hammock does not touch the ground while setting up/tying knots.
The knots and set up/take down are what realy impressed me with the eco system too. I would strongly recomend anyone looking at getting a hammock to buy Rays DVD of how to set up the system and then go and put your own version together.
One thing I don't like about the eco system is the distance between the hoochie and the hammock, sideways rain can hit the hammock, not as much of a problem in the jungle but not the best for UK use. But with the tai style hammocks you can put the hammock really close under the hochie in bad weather. You can also pitch this system much closer to the ground (if you wish to keep a low profile).
I've seen a lot of peoples pics of their hammock set ups on here, but one common thing I've noticed is the lack of drip lines, these are so important if you want to have a dry night. Also I see a lot of people pitching their hoochies with the sides quite low and ridge line high, but you get much better coverage from your roof if you pitch it almost flat (this applies to use with a bivi bag too). :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE