Hammocks.I fancy getting one,what type?.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Motorbike Man said:
but, but, but what about the Evenks and double quarter turns with a falcons head and half twist and, and, and......... :D

If it works, it works and it is just as easy as any other knot to do :D

I know lots of different knots, but this is what I started with years ago and it worked so I am happy with it, they are easy to undo and do so I don't worry about it :D

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
bushblade said:
forgot to mention, the carabiners clipped to the paracord loops make it easier to set up with a mosi net too, as you can tie it off below the carabiner (so no drips get to the mosi net too).

I was going to set it up as you have and still may but decided that the way it is at the moment had less possable failure points. The loop through the hammock going to the clip / ring is eliminated so cannot fail. I did think abou the water running down the lines and wetting the hammock but I think that the tapes tied to the clip will act as drip lines. This is the bit I need to test and will be what decides whether I revert to the original Ecosystem type set up or not.

I have the Mosi net and I tie it off below the clips as well. I just tie it round the end of the hammock material. So provided I am right above about the ties working as drip lines I will be fine. The netting ridge line is tied to the clips but I presume that yours is tied to the ring / clip as well so no difference there.

Something worth mentioning for anyone who tries this approach is that when you get the Mosi Net you will be convinced it is too short. The hammock is 3m long and the net is about 2m. I was convinced that when I got in the ridge line would snap and the netting shoot to one side. It takes a bit of experimenting but you will soon get the idea.

Also the Mosi net means you have to sling the hammock quite slack which stops you getting the hammock close to the underside of the tarp. You tie the hammock to the tree higher than the tarp but there is still only so much of an angle you can get before the lines from the hammock are fouling the edge of the tarp. This is an area I am going to be working on most to find the best set up. The Hennessy Hammocks are very good in this respect, especially with a Hex Fly. You will stay dry whatever the weather does. I think it will take me a little while to get this same confidence with the open hammock system.

For those of you who think that none of the above makes sense. You are right. Untill you have experimented with these hammocks much of this may not make sense but once you have it will all become clear.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for all the advice,thoughts and opinions folks,its very much appreciated.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
MagiKelly said:
I was going to set it up as you have and still may but decided that the way it is at the moment had less possable failure points. The loop through the hammock going to the clip / ring is eliminated so cannot fail. I did think abou the water running down the lines and wetting the hammock but I think that the tapes tied to the clip will act as drip lines. This is the bit I need to test and will be what decides whether I revert to the original Ecosystem type set up or not.

I think you'll be fine with the cord loops, Ive had the same bits of cord on mine since summer 2003 and they are still going strong.
Its the vertical orientation of the carabiner that improves drip resistance, both by drips not being able to run against gravity up the carabiner at the hammock end, and by allowing the suspension tapes to hang on the bottom side of the carabiner further improving their role as drip lines.

I clip my mossi net (which I very rarely use actualy) to a line that runs just underneath my hoochie, so does not affect the distance between hammock and hoochie. You can see the line in the first pic with various bits of gear hanging off it. If you look close you may see another line I set up underneath the hammock to hang my boots/wet kit on at night.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
MagiKelly said:
I have ordered the midgie net for the ecosystem and a XXL Basha from Kathmandu Trekking to complete the set up and think I will have saved about £70 - £80, which is enough to buy two spare double hammock. Also I have a bigger tarp, so more living space.

My only concern is that as the hammock is so long the ends are fairly near the edge of the tarp so in driving rain the ends may get wet. This is not going to happen in the middle of woodland but I am generally near the shore at the edge of woodland where this could be a possability. Only time and some experimentation will show if this is likely to be a problem or not.

I have the same hammock as you Magikelly, set it up for the first time yesterday and noticed the hammock protrudes from under the tarp at both ends, and thought, um if it rains me get wet :( , dont suppose you have a web addy for Kathmandi Trekking do you?, what size is the XXL Tarp?, where did you get your Karibiners from, my local shops only seem to have small and/or cheap and nasty (non load bearing) types at the moment, barring that, what size are they?

Apologies for all the questions

MagiKelly

maver said:
I have the same hammock as you Magikelly, set it up for the first time yesterday and noticed the hammock protrudes from under the tarp at both ends, and thought, um if it rains me get wet :( , dont suppose you have a web addy for Kathmandi Trekking do you?, what size is the XXL Tarp?, where did you get your Karibiners from, my local shops only seem to have small and/or cheap and nasty (non load bearing) types at the moment, barring that, what size are they?

Apologies for all the questions

Kathmandi Trekking can be found at
http://home.freeuk.net/kathmandu/index.html

The XXL tarp is 3m by 2.5m Cost is about £48 including postage.

The caribiners came from Tiso, their climbing section. They are proper climbing caribiners which is why they were £9.50 each.

The thing to remember about setting up the hammock is to remember to give it a good sloop. i.e. plenty of slack so that it is not at its full 3m long.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
MagiKelly said:
Kathmandi Trekking can be found at
http://home.freeuk.net/kathmandu/index.html

The XXL tarp is 3m by 2.5m Cost is about £48 including postage.

The caribiners came from Tiso, their climbing section. They are proper climbing caribiners which is why they were £9.50 each.

The thing to remember about setting up the hammock is to remember to give it a good sloop. i.e. plenty of slack so that it is not at its full 3m long.

Hi Magikelly, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of karabiners did you buy for £9.50 each??? :eek: I know shops can be a bit dispersed in Scotland but that sounds expensive.... very expensive actually...

MagiKelly

bushblade said:
I think you'll be fine with the cord loops, Ive had the same bits of cord on mine since summer 2003 and they are still going strong.
Its the vertical orientation of the carabiner that improves drip resistance, both by drips not being able to run against gravity up the carabiner at the hammock end, and by allowing the suspension tapes to hang on the bottom side of the carabiner further improving their role as drip lines.

I clip my mossi net (which I very rarely use actualy) to a line that runs just underneath my hoochie, so does not affect the distance between hammock and hoochie. You can see the line in the first pic with various bits of gear hanging off it. If you look close you may see another line I set up underneath the hammock to hang my boots/wet kit on at night.

I am pretty confident that I could form loops that would not break but if I do not need to then I would prefer not too. Certainly the drip proofness is better with your system. Although if you are putting the Mosi net on a separate line I would use the rings to save a little weight. The advantage of the carabiners is that they can be unclipped to put the Mosi net on.

How do you find the Mosi net for length when used on a separate line?

MagiKelly

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Hi All,

Just wondering why more people don't use the "Eco Sleep system" is it purely a cost thing or is there something else?

Cheers

Grez..

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The eco system thing looks really nice, but it's also really expensive. I also question how much protection the tarp would give in a really wind blown rain. It's also heavy in comparison to Hennessy, Speer, or even the homemade alternatives.
But I haven't tried it out. Feel free to correct me.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
My normal hammock weighs in at 1200 grams, which is about 4-600 grams higher than your average solution. This however is with all webbing and the entire thing is in cordura nylon. I am planning to make a new asymetric one which will shave off a bit of the length & weight.

The tarp i'm still working on getting a good lightweight material. But estimate so far will be roughly 2-300 grams tops.

Now, of course, if you are a small and light person you can get away with very very light gear aswell :) Me being a 20 stone bloke quickly learns to not whine if i get a kg extra in my equipment. I need it to be tough and working at all times, if that means using cordura for the hammock then so be it.

It beats ending up on the ground with a big lump in the back of my head :)

/HuBBa

MagiKelly

Grez said:
Hi All,

Just wondering why more people don't use the "Eco Sleep system" is it purely a cost thing or is there something else?

Cheers

Grez..

Pretty much. I have no problem of paying good money for a quality product but the Eco System Hammock is £145 and to get a hammock every bit its equal has cost me £70. I did not make my own so all the people I bought the components from have made a normal profit. £35 for Paradise Hammock double, including postage, £15 for climbing tapes and £20 for carabiners. Cetainly it could be argued that the Ecosystem hammock is harder wearing material but this hardly justifies the price difference. I do not think the price of the midgie netting is too bad although still not cheap but close enough to the norm that I bought from them.

SARHound

Jan 28, 2005
Canada
FYI,

Anyone who knows anything about hammocks knows the Clark Jungle Hammock is tops in every way imaginable.

I had a Hennessy and returned it within a week after I saw my mates Clark. There is no comparrison possible.

http://www.junglehammock.com/

Hennessy wins the marketing battle however, shame really.

Hound

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE