Good stuff of the day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Watching a Brown Hare ambling down the ride in the wood today.
I know that's not up there with some of the good deeds and experiences quoted above but it lifted my spirits and made my day. We don't see many around here at all.
Cheers,
Broch

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We used to see hares all the time when I was little, every Spring we watched them race around and 'box', and then they just disappeared.
I still look at the 'harefield' when I pass, hoping I'll see them.
Not rabbits at all, are they ? something special about a hare in the woods when it's quiet and no one else around. They kind of tempt you to follow :)
Strange to think too that the rabbits are like the grey squirrels and are alien here.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I love hares, magical creatures. Like you Toddy, we'd watch them box in March out in the crop fields, then they disappeared. Apparently we've lost 80% to modern farming techniques.

Not quite its natural environment, but you can see the intelligence and mischief.

I'd say seeing a hare definitely goes on the good things list.

IMG_0117.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was supposed to take James, my grandson, to the library today to do Module 4 of his Hunter Safety Course but we got delayed. How is this a good thing? Well the delay led to us having an unplanned supper with my daughter, James' mother, and Carson (James' younger brother) Steamed shrimp, leftover cornbread dressing, roasted bok choy, and candied plaintain chips.

Reactions: Lithril
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Took the neighbours lad out for a forage got wood and St Alfred's cakes, let him use the GF mora , for 11 years old he's alright with a knife! he's done cubs but don't think they have shown him fire skills yet so I showed him some things, he's a good soul maybe I can help him stay that way.

Reactions: Toddy and Wayne

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Fi has taken up art again as her artistic ability was suppressed by her mother as a teen she is so talented and kind, I am glad we found each other.
Good for her!
My wife had to leave Art College without a qualification at 18 because of the breakup of her parents' marriage. At the age of 38, she got a place at Cambridge, qualified as an Art teacher then taught Art History at Cambridge and wrote and advised on Art Education . When she retired she returned to painting and at the age of 78 she is still hard at it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good stuff in here goodjob

Just before I went to be last night I had a look on my computer, woke it up and there was a lovely message from my kids (I'd been out all evening) Which just said they loved me and some pictures of hearts etc, a great feeling to go to bed with. We'll not mention the stuff they left on my desk and the jobs they'd not done :D

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Leaves you feeling all gooey inside Tony, my son when he was about 3 before we found out he had autism bit me on the leg and said I love you like chocolate he is now 6ft 7 and doesn't bite just kisses me on the top of the head then rubs my ears.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
What nice picture.

And what an expression!

My wife says I pull a similar face when she wakes me up in the morning :rolleyes: The little fella is hibernating in one of my nest boxes and I disturbed him when I went to clean the old nests out ready for the next season. I keep a few boxes right by my kitchen garden so the tits are more likely to eat the caterpillars on my crops. This one is right by my gooseberry bushes and I've had very little sawfly problems since it went up so it seems to be working. It was a mild weekend so the dormouse was awake and jumped out when I removed the door. I left the box as it was and he headed back in there so hopefully I didn't disturb it too much. Looking at how fat it is it must have been feasting on my fruit crops all summer. Plenty to go around though.

This was the box back in May when the blue tits where using it.

05.22.17_blue_tits_in_box_10.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would like to thank Tony for this thread - it is a great counter to the dark, grim, rubbish that pervades the news and social media.
A glowing beacon of joy in a world where you only really hear of the bad stuff.
Thank you all for posting.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yesterday it was but I've just found this thread.

The laughter of my son as I tickle him. He rolls away and tells me to stop them rolls back in an expectant way. So I tickle again. A young child's laughter that's totally natural and free flowing is possibly the nicest sound a parent hears. It's happiness in its fullest.

Sorry about being a soppy dad, but you parents out there probably know where I'm coming from. I reckon I'm on my last years of this stage before he becomes a right sod so I'm enjoying it.

Reactions: daveO

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Pulled the curtains this morning to see snowfall and watched a mistle thrush tucking gratefully into the last grapes on the vine.

Read Paul B's post and reflected that I still get joy from my two boys even though they are now 50 and 47: no longer tickle them, however. But they have provided me with grand-daughters for this!

Also agree with Jon Fenna's comment. I still find it easier to see the good in the world without losing sight of the bad we all need to work against.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Yesterday it was but I've just found this thread.

The laughter of my son as I tickle him. He rolls away and tells me to stop them rolls back in an expectant way. So I tickle again. A young child's laughter that's totally natural and free flowing is possibly the nicest sound a parent hears. It's happiness in its fullest.

Sorry about being a soppy dad, but you parents out there probably know where I'm coming from. I reckon I'm on my last years of this stage before he becomes a right sod so I'm enjoying it.

I know where your coming from. My son did his proper first laugh yesterday (at me not his mum :smuggrin:). I catch him smiling and making happy noises in his sleep too.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I know where your coming from. My son did his proper first laugh yesterday (at me not his mum :smuggrin:). I catch him smiling and making happy noises in his sleep too.
How old?

I afraid watching your child sleep might sound dodgy but they're so cute sleeping and so long as it's short observations to check they're OK.

Plus as they get into primary school age, sleep is increasingly the time they're the easiest to cope with!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
He's 3 months. He gets his best sleep lying on our shoulders so you can't help but watch when he's dreaming away. He's got some medical problems at the moment so we spend a lot of time checking up on him while he sleeps though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE