Good but reasonably priced rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would not commit to a rucksack until you have your gear list settled. Sleeping bags can pack very small or be very big. To give perspective i run at least 5 different packs depending what im doing from 130l down to 32l. You might buy a 45l pack and find you need 60 or buy a huge pack and only half fill it.

Ive got a karrimor bobcat 65l pack. If it turns out you need something in that size you can have it for postage costs. Its never been out the house

yet another post with generosity that blows me away and make me proud to be a member of this site. I was going to offer my old karrimor hot earth that I no longer use for postage cost so Hat off to you sir

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
7OYV1ac.jpg

I went for a 44l Highlander Pro-Force job for about £40. It fits everything in, at a stretch I'll admit, but it does the job and it is fairly cheap. It's just the tent that makes it all a bit of a tight fit but that problem will be solved when I switch to tarp. The thing I dislike is the waist straps as they're very bulky and I'm not going to use them. Have a look at the picture on the right. They're a bit unnecessary and I can't take them off as they've got padding and it's not just a strap. I've had to make do by tucking in the belts and buckles there.They get in the way. Oh well.

Everything I have is in this bag, so a 44l is enough and I'll have more space when I switch to tarp camping. I have a question though. Does anyone know how I would attach my foam mat to it?

:)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
The straps are designed for load carrying. If you've ever hiked a long distance with a heavy weight it helps put some of the strain on your waist, just like chest straps- instead of only your shoulders. You won't need them for the load you've got- it's long distances with food, especially in winter that they come in handy.

Hope this was useful :).

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The straps are designed for load carrying. If you've ever hiked a long distance with a heavy weight it helps put some of the strain on your waist, just like chest straps- instead of only your shoulders. You won't need them for the load you've got- it's long distances with food, especially in winter that they come in handy.

+1 to that. Put your mat loosely rolled around the inside of the pack, the you can pack your kit inside the mat.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I wouldnt do it that way in your pack. its not a very wide pack and you will eat a ton of space. Leave it on the top. Does your pack have loops on the base too? they can be used for putting your mat or tent on
That's what I was just thinking actually. The sleeping bag is wide and admittedly takes up a lot of space already even when compressed.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

This is very good advice - you'd make a big mistake to get rid of the waistbelt at least until you've had the pack in use for a good while. From your previous posts you'll need it to bring home found wood for carving etc., and that can bring the weight up a good bit; add water and food, axe and other tools and you'll be grateful for the waistbelt on longer bimbles and hikes. :)

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
It's certainly a cheap tent, but at 1500mm it might not be that waterproof. Also, check your happy with the height and that it gives you enough space to sit up in, can be very uncomfortable if you can't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE