Good but reasonably priced rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello all. I'm currently doing my Spring shopping and buying new camping gear. Up until this point I've really only used a small bag I used from my school days about 5-6 years ago! I also carried with me my pop up tent, which required carrying another monstrosity of a bag in itself as it couldn't be folded. Try to imagine a large disc shaped bag. And I also carried my leather bag crafted by Hamish of this forum. Imagine waddling around with all that on.

The goal now is to try and find a proper rucksack that can fit everything in. It should be a good and durable rucksack with a lot of space, but still reasonably priced.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Cheers.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I can't really say preciscely what size I'd need. I'll give you a rough kit list, but I doubt it'll help. I just need something that is medium sized, I guess, something that will hold all the basics and a few extras really.

Mora knife
Gransfors Hatchet
Laplander Folding Saw
RM tinder box
Clothing (hat, shoes, etc)
sleeping bag
mat
tarp
Food supplies
Camera, books and other miscellaneous gear.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
looks ok, personally though, i like having a couple of external pockets for quick access to items without having to go into the main bag. the other thing ill say is karrimor are not as good quality as they used to be. you can get some good surplus kit for not a lot these days, it may be worth looking into that

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
looks ok, personally though, i like having a couple of external pockets for quick access to items without having to go into the main bag. the other thing ill say is karrimor are not as good quality as they used to be. you can get some good surplus kit for not a lot these days, it may be worth looking into that
It says the Karrimor rucksack " has a front bungee system for attaching items externally"

You're probably right though...

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
yes but you dont want everything clanging around and if its raining you might not want your sharps etc getting too wet. ive got an old bag you can have if you like, ill look it out and check its condition and get some pictures for you and make sure its in good condition. its black and blue and about 55 litres *i think*

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
looks ok, personally though, i like having a couple of external pockets for quick access to items without having to go into the main bag. the other thing ill say is Karrimor are not as good quality as they used to be. you can get some good surplus kit for not a lot these days, it may be worth looking into that

+ 1 to that, Karrimor quality isn't what it was. The Swedish army LK70 seems to be getting popular. http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2266

http://rucksackmania.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-swedish-lk70.html

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The KL70 has been popular here for a few years but as with any external framed pack you need to try it out before buying, in theory/on paper they just be not for you (same as the Alice pack).

An army Bergen is a good option.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Noone mentioned the Vulcan yet? I don't know the current prices, but I know they can be found relatively cheap in some Dutch army surplus stores.

J

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I would not commit to a rucksack until you have your gear list settled. Sleeping bags can pack very small or be very big. To give perspective i run at least 5 different packs depending what im doing from 130l down to 32l. You might buy a 45l pack and find you need 60 or buy a huge pack and only half fill it.

Ive got a karrimor bobcat 65l pack. If it turns out you need something in that size you can have it for postage costs. Its never been out the house

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
plenty of surplus options out there

Medium ALICE pack is pretty decent or if you want canvas - either the norwegian telemark or German mountain ones are pretty good - just check it s not a repro

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

A pack of that size is not going to have a lot of room left after you put even a small sleeping bag in, and I reckon you can do far more with your money by going the military surplus route.

Packs that are PLCE compatable can be reduced in volume by doing up the zips where the pockets go, or extended by fitting the said pockets; the pockets can also be used with a yoke to make a good day pack. This would be a good way to go
whilst working out your needs without costing an arm and a leg and leaves you with a very usable bit of kit. :)

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
not sure about that, i find with all my kit and food 66 litres leaves me with about 5-10 litres of spare space depending on the weather if im on a 2 nighter. but i do like to take a few pairs of spare socks, nothing better then fresh socks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE