Good but reasonably priced rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi,

Dunno if you can get yourself to the outdoor Tech factory shop ( They own Rab, Podsacs, Lowe Alpine and I think a couple of others ) at Somercotes near Alfreton in Derbyshire but they are doing the Pod Thin Ice for £40. It's a Light Alpine pack constructed from 210 Dyneema-ripstop Cordura-Nylon which is incredibly strong for it's light weight.

They hold 40 to 50 litres internally if you take the top off, as in the pics below, and with the top on they hold ten litres more. I have a size two and use it with the top off and it is superbly comfortable. They have been grumblings on the web that they need packing very carefully due to the back system but it is a complete load of tripe, unless you are carrying a pack full of specifically selected pointy objects it's as easy to pack as any other bergen. The back with 10mm thick padding and alloy brace is in my opinion as good as any others out there and will hold and support a heavy (35kg plus) load. Waist Belt and tightening straps are also superb

On the sides loads of gear can be attatched, I usually put tent incl poles and pegs on one side and a two litre pop bottle of water on the other side, but it would be easy to carry more.

Bombers construction. Looks a bit in it's topless ( ooooh errr missssus ) configuration like a GoLite Jam

00001_Podsac-Thin-Ice_zps02e3673a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

00003_Podsac-Thin-Ice_zps1e146f2f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

00004_Podsac-Thin-Ice_zpsd824891e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

00002_Podsac-Thin-Ice_zps2a438fc0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Essentially a very tough alpinist pack for fast movers in the mountains but ideal for bushying too, and as a bonus it's not olive green !

Hope this is of some use, there's a pic of it with the top on here and some manufacturers details

http://www.climbers-shop.com/236671/products/pod_thin_ice.aspx

Cheers, Spartan

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The thing is, at most to start with I'll probably only be doing one nighters and at most two. So how many litres would you say that is?

It doesn't quite work like that of litres per night but on your kit.

A down bag will compress a lot more than a synthetic bag and a summer bag is a lot smaller than a winter bag etc etc.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Lowe Alpine Sting yet. It's had a lot of good reviews on here and the advantage of it is you can add side pockets to increase the carrying capacity from 55ltrs up to about 85ltrs.

Just to say that you can do the same with the Karrimor Sabre SF range, the Berghaus Vulcan as well (thought I don't think they take the standard PLCE side pockets, only berghaus bespoke bags.)

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
My personal preference is smaller rather than bigger. The 44lt sack you spotted and linked on the other page struck me as a sensible selection, being climbery orientated I'm not a fan of the side pockets preferring just a single compartment, but for your intended use the pockets are likely a good practical addition, although 44lt + pockets would be better.

The biggest item on the list is the doss bag, then tarp etc, the mat should tuck under the top flap once the bag is packed and the straps are extended enough to accommodate the mat, closing the straps should hold the mat snugly and securely under the lid flap. I say 44lt is ample, unless one is looking to carry a dutch oven etc ;)

I'm not a big fan of ex army surplus kit, and I'd always buy new if I could, but there are plenty 2nd hand sacks on the go.

I've a 47lt sack, with my tent sleeping bag (compressed) cooking kit in, the sack is still almost empty.

I'm a minimilist when it comes to gear, as I'm always at other stuff that needs it's allocation of room, usually fly fishing hill lochs these days. But then I get plenty minimalist packing at work, for which I travel extensively and I try to keep under the cabin baggage maximum size, for that I use a northface surge back pack, which is basically my computer bag with a little extra space for required clothing and accessories. I can do around 5 days out of that, changing trollies socks and shirts every day. Although I was stretching 3 days a bit in Cameroon back in January, due to the heat and constant soaking in my own sweat. Gets interesting when confronted with back to back trips, for that I carry another change in my car and I've seen myself get off one aircraft, go to the car park, change everything out, and head back to departures.

A way to size a bag, place all the carry essentials, tarp doss bag cooking stuff etc, in the sack, then dress fully for the worst mother nature can throw at you for the where and when of your trip. Then undress down to the footwear troos and the upper base layer, that shed lot of clothing should fit in the bag with the essentials and leave a little room to spare (with the possible exception of the jacket depending on the time of year, jury is still out on this for me, it's nice to have the jacket in the bag when it's warm etc (the exception rather than the rule where I live), but I'm in the habit of slinging it through the right hand shoulder strap under my arm, and that means I can put it on in a flash and or have access to the items in the pockets whilst on the move, I don't accidentally drop it because it's secure enough when slung in balance and it's right at my hand).

Spare stuff I take: trollies socks one leather fire glove (perhaps some light weight trousers to change into if using public transport to get back, although you could stash a change of clothes for the return trip) and a spare set of thermals for sleeping in, or cowering in should it turn cold as it did a couple of times last summer, -2º to +3ºc some nights last year just before it got hot, or should I get soaked, fall in a burn etc, basically I don't carry anything I'm unlikely to need or could do without, and "need", that comes down to the individual perception and experience. The only thing I carry that I hope I won't need is a bivvi bag.

Just my view

Edit to add link:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119944

A snip at £20

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just to say that you can do the same with the Karrimor Sabre SF range, the Berghaus Vulcan as well (thought I don't think they take the standard PLCE side pockets, only berghaus bespoke bags.)

The Vulcan takes standard PLCE pockets, and will also happily take the pockets off a snugpak bergen.

J

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Not all of the vulcans take the plce side pockets, for some stupid reason some have the zips upside down.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Have a look in Tesco, their rucksacks aren't too bad, they do a fairly decent 45L one.
I've got their hydration pack and it's pretty good.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Still trying to make a decision on the rucksack. This is pretty much the final kit list (with some items excluded that won't be taken on my first few trips, like map and compass as I know where I'll be going exactly):

EQUIPMENT
Mora companion clipper knife
Gransfors hatchet
Laplander folding saw
RM Woodlore Fire steel
RM Woodlore tinder box
550 Paracord
LED Headlight - Ring Cyba-Lite
Binoculars
Glasses
Camera

SHELTER/SLEEPING
Generic brand tent
Gelert X-Treme Lite 1200 sleeping bag
Yellowstone Eva camping mat

COOKING
Stove set up
Flexicup
Yellowstone Non-Stick 2 Piece Mess Set
Trail Stainless Steel Camping Cutlery Set

What worries me is that the sleeping bag (although recommended to me as being able to pack fairly small) is quite bulky in its pack. It's not heavy, it just seems rather large. I'm a bit worried about the length of the tent bag. it's certainly better than the pop up tent I used before though. I don't know, I don't have a reference point for these things yet so I don't know if these are considered too large.

u80OX8C.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Getting there mate. Im not mad on the ring cyba light if its the one that takes 2 x cr2032?

its very spotty and doesnt give much area lighting. For an extra fiver the gamma is 10 times the light

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What worries me is that the sleeping bag (although recommended to me as being able to pack fairly small) is quite bulky in its pack. It's not heavy, it just seems rather large. I'm a bit worried about the length of the tent bag. it's certainly better than the pop up tent I used before though. I don't know, I don't have a reference point for these things yet so I don't know if these are considered too large.

u80OX8C.jpg

Use the compression straps - or pack it loose in your pack around your other stuff. For a synthetic bag it isn't large. To get smaller for as warm you're looking at down bags for £100+. A 2 season bag will be much smaller - but then less versatile also.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
With all those items listed, what do you think I should go for? 45lt pack or more?

That would probably fit all your stuff in, but your probably best going larger as things change, e.g you Carry more in winter than in summer, longer trips=more food etc. So I'd say go larger and after all you don't have to fill it. I'd also say army surplus packs are cheap and plentiful- or get a new version of that pack if you don't want to go second hand. I'd also say with the rest of your kit, especially seen as though your new to camping carry a fair amount- it's better to have it and not need it to need it and not have it- then you can slim it down and get rid of the stuff you find you don't need or use, then you'll end up with a kit based around your specific needs.

Hope this helps :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE