go my first camera

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
i got my first camera a week ago, and i just had to try to use it.
these pics are taken 15min drive from where i live and roughly 10m from the road.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

taking pictures was actually fun, maybe i'll do more of it.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Its interesting how much of a difference a few phtoshop tweaks can make. Those photos are nice but Wayland just brought something else out. I used to be into photography when younger with old film SLR, I am thinking of getting back into it with an enthusiasts conmpact or bridge camera (probably a fuji S series as its all I can afford). I do think digital allows amateurs with the right kit to do what was only really possible to professionals with the darkroom. I don't know what you guys think but a good or half decent camera, with a good PC and photoshop could mean an amateur turning out some good work IF they have an eye for the image in the first place. I kind of did but never focussed on it. This guy is a pretty good for a first test with a camera. Keep it up. Although , could be jealousy, the area you live in does help - what a beautiful bit of countryside!!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
You are right about having the eye, I reckon everything else can be taught in a few hours but seeing pictures takes a lot longer unless it comes naturally.

My computer is sitting under the enlarger, in my now more or less redundant darkroom. I think that says it all.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just out of curiosity (off topic sorry but the OP might still be interested too) what software would you recommend a newbie to get to enhance his/her photographs? I know Photoshop is kind of a standard but if you are not sure of how far you will be going into the hobby is there something else until you decide you need something better?

What kind of developing did you do? Colour or B&W? I have only done B&W a few times and was always daunted by the idea of colour processing.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My darkroom could handle both but I preferred to stick to monochrome, It was much more expressive in my opinion.

Now the software has given me just as much control in colour as well so I'm spoilt for choice.

I started out with Paint Shop Pro which was easy to use but I made a rod for my own back because the transition to Photoshop later on was more difficult, as I had to re-learn the "Adobe" way of doing things.

I've never used Elements but I guess that transition would be easier if you needed to upgrade later.

The other option is Gimp which is free and very capable from what I hear.

It's reputed to be more difficult to use but I suspect that is coming from people used to one system and switching to another. I would imagine that it is no more difficult than learning Photoshop from scratch but it's a huge saving.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
+1 for the Gimp as Software. There's tons of plugins and tutorials for it too.

I'm gonna have a go at editing too if you don't mind ;)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think you do have a natural eye for it and that is the most important thing.

The rest will come, exposure, colour balance etc etc, it's just a matter of tweaking it.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Just out of curiosity (off topic sorry but the OP might still be interested too) what software would you recommend a newbie to get to enhance his/her photographs? I know Photoshop is kind of a standard but if you are not sure of how far you will be going into the hobby is there something else until you decide you need something better?

What kind of developing did you do? Colour or B&W? I have only done B&W a few times and was always daunted by the idea of colour processing.

I was lucky enough when I got my first digital camera that it came with a version of photoshop lite. Before that when I merely scanned pictures I would use paint shop pro (the free version), which a lot of people recommend.

Mind you, it's possible to do a lot with free downloads like Irfan view and Picassa (from google) these days, it's getting easier.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Now all I need to sort out is the camera to take my shots on. Too much advice (shops, forums and online reviews) and none of them agree completely. Funny how much they vary sometimes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE