Stray cat - advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm after some advice on a possible stray cat. Firstly I will say I like cats as an indoor pet but not overly keen on them munching through wildlife. Having said that I'm hoping this thread can concentrate on what's best for the cat.

We live with no close neighbours with fields and woodland all around. Occasionally the odd cat puts in an appearance but goes back home. Last year we noticed a big tabby about the place and cat droppings. I assumed it was an adventurous cat from a distant neighbour but noticed a road kill magpie get stripped to the bones, then the remains of a pheasant appear under an old outbuilding.

The tabby keeps it's distance but doesn't seem overly worried about us. It has no collar. I decided to put out some food to see if it is eaten and it is hoovered up as soon as I walk away. I have done this over a few days so it appears the cat is actually living full time here.

I've looked online and there's not much help or advice if the cat appears healthy. I'll ask around but doubt I'll find an owner as it is getting common for cats to be abandoned.

So what to do? I will continue to feed to at least try and stop it hunting to feed itself, and also to try and tame it to an extent I could cage trap it and take it to a vet to see if it is chipped. I'm also worried it's an un-spayed female, at what point can I take responsibility for it and get it spayed if necessary? How do you know if a cat is a stray? Any other advice?

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
The usual advice is to get the cat rescue people in and get them to leave a trap. Then it goes to the vet to see if chipped. Also advertise on the local “ pets lost and found” pages to see if anyone knows about the cat. Pictures help.
They can see about re-homing. If it is a Tom it needs the snip.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Now. In my opinion much depends upon your philosophy.

What’s wrong with a feral animal scavenging and predating is environment? Do you take exception to magpies and foxes doing exactly the same?

I think I’d leave it alone as long as it doesn’t look injured. It may well never have been domesticated if it came from a farm or other feral cat.

If you want rid of it then call RSPCA.

Edited to add: whatever sex it will be neutered by the rescue organisation.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As said, I don't know how much help the various orgs would be. This is from the RSPCA: "As a charity with limited resources, we can't respond to calls about healthy stray cats."

As for foxes and magpies, they are a pest here as there's so many about. Our property is a bit of an oasis of wildlife in amongst ever increasing loss of habitat. We have several species of red list birds nesting, loads of lizards and various rarer mammals. I'm certainly not a fan of magpies, for example, when you see literal dozens of them about.

I would give the cat a chance but that still would depend on ensuring it doesn't breed here.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, conservation hat on. Read Reflections by Mark Avery for an insight :) but the basic concept is that in the country feral cats are acting as a primary predator. We arguably have a distorted number of many species despite so many organisations claiming how well we are doing because of song bird numbers - conservation isn't measured by songbirds - when was the last time you saw a stoat or weasel?

So, don't feed it, it will never go away - the more pheasant it eats the better but there are ample blue tits, great tits, field voles, yellow-necked mice (in many areas) etc. It's hard and it's taken me a long time to accept that the large ginger cat that wanders through here could well be doing more good than bad.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In all likelihood it has been here for a year without me feeding it.

Stoats and weasels are fairly common, along with various owls and other birds of prey.

That's great (but not common)and demonstrates there is plenty of prey; the cat is just another predator. OK, in town, with 2 cats per household, I'd shoot them as a pest but the odd feral one is of benefit.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Isn't European wildcat native to the Misty isles? If so I don't think that some ferals are any more dangerous.

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I didn't think you could lethally control cats, not that I would want to.

I would also regard feral as different to a stray, this one seems used to people so a stray. Knowing the area, and with past experience, there's a good chance it's been dumped.

So I'm back to the question when can I take responsibility for it and even if I choose to look after it how can I ensure it doesn't breed. I'm in the country so not the place to put up lost cat posters, I don't use Facebook and asking about doesn't guarantee much (other than some rather odd conversations).

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Then trap it and get it neutered.

A piece of lead inserted into an ear will also prevent it breeding.

• Haha
Reactions: Athos

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I didn't think you could lethally control cats, not that I would want to.

No, that was a joke in very poor taste, sorry. It just riles me the number of people that complain I control the grey squirrel population that have cats as pets in town.

Our local vet used to (may still do) offer a neutering service for any stray caught - I was in there once with my spaniel when someone brought a cat in a cage that they had trapped - it acted like a enraged Tasmanian devil!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Might be worth giving your local vet a call and see what they recommend?
We don't have local vets, our old dog vet would just refer us to the RSPCA probably.

It's a bit of a strange area, mostly farming so little concern for cats, but with some mad animal lovers. So unlikely to get a balanced view from anyone local.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE