Firesteel vs Lighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Well fire steel have something that cant be beaten. Its indestructible. Even smashed, you can still use pieces of it. And its (or can be) very small. With all it's fiddlyness nothing come close to the surefireness of a fire rod.
No altitude, temperature, water or abuse will take the thought from you that you have something to make fire.

So it's here to stay :)

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
id always favour fire-steel over lighter try getting a flame when your lighter is soaked ! im well aware you can use the flint off it still but using the fire steel just feels more like bushcraft-y having to work alittle to get the first flame and feeling like you have accomplished something small when your out for a week or so raises your moral when things go right and not wrong !

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I quit 12-13 years ago and there has been moments where the craving still gripped me ( usually on nights?) it gets less and less all the time everytime you hold of a craving. Don't get any cravings now but late at night the smell of a roll up still smells goooood....
Ahh it seems I put this in the wrong thread......sorry.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I think he meant "If you only have one useable hand, can you use a firesteel?"

A lighter is certainly useable one-handed.

Yeah your right there yuo can use a lighter one handed... I bow to that.. but normaly if one hand is cold so is theother :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A ferro road can be used with a flint or even a bit fo cermaic... you woudl be suppriced what can make a spark from a Ferro..

if your hand is that cold/injured can you really use a lighter

I reckon so. Even with both arms severed..
monty%2Bpython%2Bblack%2Bknight.jpg

I could stand on a zippo and strike it with my foot. Maybe hold the zippo in my mouth or brace it between my wrists and strike it on my leg.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I reckon so. Even with both arms severed..
I could stand on a zippo and strike it with my foot. Maybe hold the zippo in my mouth or brace it between my wrists and strike it on my leg.

lol, nice One..:) and there is always the thrid leg if your name is JAke... :)

Haggis

Nomad
If I'm carrying everything I need with me anyway, for convenience, then I want a zippo, matches, a firesteel, and a Bic lighter. Lighters are easy, a flint and steel, or firesteels are fun to play with, and might even be handy if all my lighters and all my matches fail to function.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE