Firesteel vs Lighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I was wondering what people would prefer to have with them in a hypothetical *wilderness survival situation...
Please feel free to give reasons, but I'd like to keep the thread as a face off between the modern firesteel (e.g. a Swedish Firesteel) and the humble lighter (e.g. a BIC lighter)
Fight fight fight fight fight fight! :D
*For the point of this exercise, let's say you'd be somewhere in the Alaskan wilderness. Could be any season & any weather...
12196749883_df5bc90d19.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
P.S.
If a full member wants to redo this thread as a poll, that would be cool.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
thats a hard one, but ina cold survival situation id rather have the instant flame of a lighter, but when im out playing in the woods i always use a firesteel

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
ha ha ha, both...;)
No deal! :D We can't have the lighter and the firesteel shaking hands and kissing each other better until there's been a good fight!
I'd rather have both too! But if you had to pick ONE, what would it be? :D Humour me :)
Sorry for being so narrow, I'm just feeling a little anally retentive this evening :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Both.
Fire steel for practice and forcing myself out of sloppines when making fires. Also much better at lighting gas stoves in the wind.
Lighter for a quick flame.
In my kits I put a small firesteel as a bombproof backup, and a bic lighter/matches (depending on space available) as a main fire source.

Firesteels are nice and have a place, but after I tested my survival kit in real life during my scout days (kit in the pocket, jump in the river) I know I need something that will give you fire here and now.

If just one than a fat waterproof box of matches.

rg598

Native
Lighter for me. It has been a while since I carried a Ferro rod. I find it less convenient than a lighter and not as much fun as flint and steel. Also people forget that a lighter uses a small ferro rod. Make a fire with the lighter, char some plant material, and when the lighter is empty, remove the metal guard and use the sparks to light the charred material.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Both and a magnifying glass. :p

If have sunlight and time obviously the magnify glass doesn't use any of your resources.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lighter for me. It has been a while since I carried a Ferro rod. I find it less convenient than a lighter and not as much fun as flint and steel. Also people forget that a lighter uses a small ferro rod. Make a fire with the lighter, char some plant material, and when the lighter is empty, remove the metal guard and use the sparks to light the charred material.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Same traffic.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I was wondering what people would prefer to have with them in a hypothetical *wilderness survival situation...

It depends. If it's an expected situation then a gas lighter is easier to use, although I find a petrol lighter even easier to use when it's windy as the cheap gas ones go out far too easily.

If it's unexpected then I'd rather have a firesteel in my emergency pouch as I've cracked a gas lighter before and the gas has escaped.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I have a fire-steel, flint and striker etc. I think the essential skill is the ability to make fire from only those materials at hand out in the wild, anything else is a prop. If I'm to carry a prop then it's a lighter, gas refillable re-flintable plastic "Clipper". A petrol lighter is good but if it goes for a swim it's knackered until the innards dry.

One can buy 4 or 5 clippers for the price of a fire-steel too. Thats one in the trouser pocket, one in the jacket, one with the cooking kit and a spare in the sack top pocket.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
In emergency I would like to have a flame thrower, can of fuel and a few thermite grenades. I would ask the surviving party to empty their pockets and hand over any fire making items. In emergency I want the easiest and simplest way to make fire.
So we are really talking "what you prefer to use in normal situation".

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
In emergency I would like to have a flame thrower, can of fuel and a few thermite grenades. I would ask the surviving party to empty their pockets and hand over any fire making items. In emergency I want the easiest and simplest way to make fire.

gas refillable re-flintable plastic "Clipper"

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I like the way you think :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My trusty Imco slimline with a refill of petrol.

When the lighter runs low on petrol, I'd switch to friction firelighting and carrying an ember.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tend to carry both, I'm a smoker so always have a Clipper to hand with a spare buried in the pack somewhere. I also carry the smallest LMF firesteel which lives inside my brew kit, gotta have a brew

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
No deal! :D We can't have the lighter and the firesteel shaking hands and kissing each other better until there's been a good fight!
I'd rather have both too! But if you had to pick ONE, what would it be? :D Humour me :)
Sorry for being so narrow, I'm just feeling a little anally retentive this evening :)

Ha ha ha ha, fair one Will, fire steel, it lasts longer and you can use it just the same as a magnesium block, shave off some of the steel if needed. the only advantage with the lighter is a little less prep time, but not much, how ever, short term i would use a lighter if it came down to it,all depends on the situation and length of time.

short term = lighter

long term = ferro rod

chris.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Ha ha ha ha, fair one Will, fire steel, it lasts longer and you can use it just the same as a magnesium block, shave off some of the steel if needed. the only advantage with the lighter is a little less prep time, but not much, how ever, short term i would use a lighter if it came down to it,all depends on the situation and length of time.

short term = lighter

long term = ferro rod

chris.

Thanks Chris :D
Good to see the Firesteel back off the ropes and throwing a couple of punches too! :D
I thought this was going to be a 1st round knock out for the firesteel (lighter getting knocked out) but it turns out the lighter has got some fight in it...

12213353133_33f782204a.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE