Filleting trout the Ray Mears way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Was wondering if it would be able to remove the fillets of a trout, as RM does on salmon, where he pushes his thumb behind the ribs and removes both fillets - is there any reason why this wouldnt work with trout?

Caught a 3 pounder yesterday and want to have a go at cooking it on an open fire.

cheers y'all

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
It does work - I did it on three or four that I was given last year. There are usually a few bones left in place, but the majority come away.

Geoff

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
trout is the main fish we do it with, I was teaching some people on Sat and we did 6 of them. Fresh is best and the bigger fish tend to be easier than the smaller ones. Just make sure that you don't did too deep with your thumb nail or you start loosing flesh. Just take it easy and it comes apart easily. If the ribs are a bit tenacious in sticking to the flesh then a small slice cutting the membrane that holds them in place can often help.

Good luck with it ;)

Bottom fin coming off
nettle_soup_and_fish3.jpg

Top fin coming off
nettle_soup_and_fish2.jpg

Cutting through to the spine
nettle_soup_and_fish_016_1_.jpg

removal of head spine and tail
nettle_soup_and_fish4.jpg

Prep for cooking
nettle_soup_and_fish5.jpg

tasty stuff :D
nettle_soup_and_fish8.jpg

this is obviously a salmon but it's just the same with trout, I'll see if i can find some pics on getting the ribs out.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I think its called panassing (sp?), and its a native american indian way to cook fish.

Good colour! Better with whiskey...

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Was wondering if it would be able to remove the fillets of a trout, as RM does on salmon, where he pushes his thumb behind the ribs and removes both fillets - is there any reason why this wouldnt work with trout?

Caught a 3 pounder yesterday and want to have a go at cooking it on an open fire.

cheers y'all

Check out my webpage, slightly different method on there!

think there is the same tutorial by me on here somwhere as well!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
That looks a nice site pignut i'll have a good look at it when i get more time.

That is quite a nifty trick you're doing there with the mackerel, and that will work on the trout?

ta

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The only thing that you might find with defrosted fish is that the flesh is more sticky and breaks easier.

pignut, have you tries that on a big fish? I'll have to try it on a salmon or big trout.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
As Mick says, 'make sure you score between the ribs' - it makes them slide out much easier when you run your thumb down behind them.

Check out my webpage, slightly different method on there!

think there is the same tutorial by me on here somwhere as well!

I've been meaning to try this method since reading your tutorial Pignut but I have not got around to it. Thanks for the reminder :)

Something worth trying with mackerel if you get the chance is to flambé (sp) it in whiskey and serve with butter and black pepper :D Just the ticket after a long paddle.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
I just wish Pike would have the decency to behave in the same way!

this method is fantastic though, once you've done it's hard to understand why it isnt more common place

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE