The Ray Mears bushcraft knife. SWC Version.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
Hi guys. Decided to buy the ray mears bushcraft knife. Should get it by the weekend so ill post you my thoughts.
Thanks for the help and advice :)

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
haha :) thanks. Cant wait to get my hands on it. The only thing now is the problem of being to scared to use it just in case I scratch something lol :p

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
If its gonna be a user do you think it will do its job any better than a Mora at £20.

Good point. It would be fun to go back 10,000 years and give a stone-age hunter-gatherer a selection of modern knives and see if he
prefers the Ray Mears signature edition. My guess is he would be a lot less fussy than his 21st century descendants.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Like all things kit there is practicality and then there is pride of ownership. Any sharp knife will cut wood but it is nice to own something that you like.
(RM WS Maple handle owner)

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
Frazer, why don't you drop Martin a PM, he has some very nice Woodlores for sale at decent prices and is a trusted member...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72129&p=877348#post877348

Hey. Thanks for the suggestion those are some really nice knives! I have already ordered the ray mears bushcraft knife from the website though. I should get it tomorrow :) . I have a question about the wood on the handle. Does it need to be serviced at all if you know what i mean. Do i need to buy any special wood oil to keep it in good shape or can I just leave it without causing any harm? Any advice on caring for the wood would be great since I really want to keep it in good condition.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hey. Thanks for the suggestion those are some really nice knives! I have already ordered the ray mears bushcraft knife from the website though. I should get it tomorrow :) . I have a question about the wood on the handle. Does it need to be serviced at all if you know what i mean. Do i need to buy any special wood oil to keep it in good shape or can I just leave it without causing any harm? Any advice on caring for the wood would be great since I really want to keep it in good condition.

Cool beans matey! I just use boiled linseed oil on my wooden handles, you can pick it up in B&Q for a fiver, just give it a quick rub once in a while and all will be well.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks for the help. I'll have a look into that. Can the wood be damaged if you use it too much?

No, not through normal use. Just don't get it soaking wet and then leave it drying in a hot place. That will warp the scales. If you want to stabilise the wood against the environment even more, then soak it for a couple of days and allow the oil to penetrate fully.

22April20102.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE