The Ray Mears bushcraft knife. SWC Version.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i got an SWC bushcraft knife and i love it. be bloody careful about getting the blade wet, my sheath had moisture in it and it left a lovely sheen of rust on the blade :( lots of autosol and a scouring pad got it off but if you look carefully you can still see the little star patterns in the metal.
annoyed me greatly but it is a user and i put it down to experience.
just keep the blade oiled with carnuba oil and you will be fine.
heres pics of mine, in the closeup you can see the scatches left by the scourer.
DSCF3222.jpg

DSCF3223.jpg

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
You may want to have a read over on BB. I've had 2 of these and sent them both back, shrinking scales. Superb knife let down by poor scales material. Can't wait for them to be made with different scales.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That's not the Woody in that picture, that's my own knife (click my signature pic). The Woodlore was given to me, it's an antler handled version only given to Head Woodlore Instructors after completing training. I've had it for about six years now. It's one of my most treasured possessions.

21May20106.jpg

DSC08047.jpg

The SWC is a very well made knife and backed up by Woodlores excellent customer service. There was a problem with warping on teh scales with a few, but they seem to have sorted that. The good thing is with that knife, if you don't like it, you can easily sell it for almost the same price you bought it at.

I am slightly bamboozled as to how you got an instructors knife from woodlore, if you don't mind, could you please tell me how you acquired such a beautiful knife??

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
i got an SWC bushcraft knife and i love it. be bloody careful about getting the blade wet, my sheath had moisture in it and it left a lovely sheen of rust on the blade :( lots of autosol and a scouring pad got it off but if you look carefully you can still see the little star patterns in the metal.
annoyed me greatly but it is a user and i put it down to experience.
just keep the blade oiled with carnuba oil and you will be fine.
heres pics of mine, in the closeup you can see the scatches left by the scourer.
DSCF3222.jpg

DSCF3223.jpg

Thats a very nice knife! I cant wait to get my tomorrow :) I'll post pictures of it tomorrow as well. Have you ever sharpened that blade? everytime I sharpen a knife with my dc4 whetstone I always get scratches across the blade and it sometimes harms the look of the knife :/ How do you get past the scratches when sharpening ? cheers.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
Thats a very nice knife! I cant wait to get my tomorrow :) I'll post pictures of it tomorrow as well. Have you ever sharpened that blade? everytime I sharpen a knife with my dc4 whetstone I always get scratches across the blade and it sometimes harms the look of the knife :/ How do you get past the scratches when sharpening ? cheers.
i assume your talking about scratches on the actual cutting edge and not the main part of the blade! i've never sharpened it properly yet as it keeps the edge really well, i never use the gold side on my dc4 on a knife unless i need to put a new edge on the blade as this takes loads of metal away. when the edge gets a little blunt i usually just give it a few light sweeps on the ceramic side and then i strop it on my homemade leather strop.
DSCF3227.jpg

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
ahah. I think I'm going to leave the sandwich slicing to another knife :p I think I am going to use it though, On the other hand I don't know how I would feel If it got scratched it cost alot :/

i have one of these all i can say is
Use it! that's what its for! and you will enjoy using it :) and any dinks etc will add to the tales you can tell
e.g this nick on my sheath? i had to pull my knife one handed whilst defending myself from an angry badger etc etc
*disclaimer i have never defended myself from a badger :)

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
Use it! that's what its for! and you will enjoy using it :) and any dinks etc will add to the tales you can tell
e.g this nick on my sheath? i had to pull my knife one handed whilst defending myself from an angry badger etc etc

this is good advice use it, you cant take it with you

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales

Yeah your right, I should use it and I will. Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE