The Ray Mears bushcraft knife. SWC Version.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
Hey. Has anyone had any experiences with the ray mears bushcraft knife?. I see it for sale on the ray mears website for £295. Is it worth the price? If I was going to buy one i would use it rather than display it and was just wondering the reason behind such a high price.
:confused:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
It depends how badly you want the brand. To some its worth it, to me it is'nt. There so many makers of superb quality knives on this & other forums, who i would rather support.

Rob

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Ah but is all the knife you will ever need. Or do you try a few and see wich suits your requirments.
Personally i have a woodlore and in use it doesnt suit me where as the Enzo i have is brill.
Just had a spyderco bushcrafter delivered and after a few hours use today find that easier to handle and performs the tasks i set it better than the trapper.

So if you only want it because of its name well thats your choise. It might suit and you might hate it but its a lot of money just to try it out.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's a nice knife. If you want a good knife with the RM connection then go for it. As to whether it is worth it, only you can answer that question. We all buy things for different reasons.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If its gonna be a user do you think it will do its job any better than a Mora at £20.

Nope it is an edge, but it's all to do with what you WANT to look at when you use it, what you WANT to feel in your hand, whether you WANT factory produced of craftsman made, they are all just a sharp edge, but what you WANT is completely different to what you need. We all know that.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Moras are cracking blades but personally I love using my handmade knife because of the time,skill and passion that are wrapped up in the handmade object: be it knife,leatherwork,food,art etc etc.
My current favourite user came from Rob Evans on here and is ultra-simple but feels wonderful and punches way above its weight and cost considerably less than the woodlore in question.If you want the RM
brand though you must be prepared to pay handsomely for it.The RM knife looks pretty fine and nice leather too so it is a question of priorities and finances I guess.
Whichever way you go the handmade product should last you a lifetime if you look after it so the money/time calculation makes it look reasonable.Either way do some serious shopping around here and on British Blades
to see what else is available around the £300 mark.You will be amazed!
Cheers , Simon

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
Thanks guys for the advice. From what I have been reading SWC makes quality knives and i should hope so for the asking price of £300. I'll do a bit more research and i'll tell you what i bought :p

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
well i just bought this on here and to me it seems as good and much better value

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75366

That's just it though, you are speculating. It's only when you've held and used both that you can make an informed decision. You can't do that from pictures alone. Siberianfury's view on the Spyderco ergonomics is a classic example. There is even a clear difference between the SWC and AW version in terms of quality. The grades between all may be very fine, but you need to see and hold to judge.

The SWC was a little slim for my liking, but a well crafted tool...

DSC05116.jpg

DSC05118.jpg

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think there is a lot to be said for buying what you want to use. If you don't like / enjoy the knife / tool / whatever, how do you expect to use it in a positive manner and produce nice things with it?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think there is a lot to be said for buying what you want to use. If you don't like / enjoy the knife / tool / whatever, how do you expect to use it in a positive manner and produce nice things with it?

Exactly. I don't like using Moras, Red doesn't like the F1. We are all different and require different things.

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
That's just it though, you are speculating. It's only when you've held and used both that you can make an informed decision. You can't do that from pictures alone. Siberianfury's view on the Spyderco ergonomics is a classic example. There is even a clear difference between the SWC and AW version in terms of quality. The grades between all may be very fine, but you need to see and hold to judge.

The SWC was a little slim for my liking, but a well crafted tool...

DSC05116.jpg

DSC05118.jpg

hey, are these your knives :0

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi there,

I too like the look of the SWC RM bushcraft knife but for someone who is doing A levels and has no part time job it is just too much. What I have decided to do is to buy the RM style blade blank kit from SWC for £65 and handle it myself with the materials that i want. This gives a personal touch to the knife and of course it will be
£230 cheaper. Just need to wait til SWC starts making knives again lol.

outdoorpaddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
hey, are these your knives :0

I sold the SWC on as it was too slim for my personal tastes. The instructors Woody is a safe queen now more than anything, as it is far too valuable and rare to use hard.

This is how slim it was compared to my own personal knife...

DSC05114.jpg

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
I sold the SWC on as it was too slim for my personal tastes. The instructors Woody is a safe queen now more than anything, as it is far too valuable and rare to use hard.

This is how slim it was compared to my own personal knife...

DSC05114.jpg

Thats awesome. How long did it take to get the woody? there's like a 12 year waiting list now -.- as for the swc, will it handle any task thrown at it? is it sturdy and well made? i love the look of it and prefer a thinner handle :p I might just get one...... ;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Don't jump in feet first Frazer.

Try and get to a meet, see what others have and how they feel.

Otherwise you'll be off down the road we all take in buying, then selling on until you find a good fit.

Been there, done that and now I have a favourite blademaster after spending a fortune.

However, I also love a couple of the Mora knives range and wouldn't be without them.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/DSC05114.jpg

Thats awesome. How long did it take to get the woody? there's like a 12 year waiting list now -.- as for the swc, will it handle any task thrown at it? is it sturdy and well made? i love the look of it and prefer a thinner handle :p I might just get one...... ;)

That's not the Woody in that picture, that's my own knife (click my signature pic). The Woodlore was given to me, it's an antler handled version only given to Head Woodlore Instructors after completing training. I've had it for about six years now. It's one of my most treasured possessions.

21May20106.jpg

DSC08047.jpg

The SWC is a very well made knife and backed up by Woodlores excellent customer service. There was a problem with warping on teh scales with a few, but they seem to have sorted that. The good thing is with that knife, if you don't like it, you can easily sell it for almost the same price you bought it at.

Frazer d

Jun 22, 2011
wales
That's not the Woody in that picture, that's my own knife (click my signature pic). The Woodlore was given to me, it's an antler handled version only given to Head Woodlore Instructors after completing training. I've had it for about six years now. It's one of my most treasured possessions.

21May20106.jpg

DSC08047.jpg

The SWC is a very well made knife and backed up by Woodlores excellent customer service. There was a problem with warping on teh scales with a few, but they seem to have sorted that. The good thing is with that knife, if you don't like it, you can easily sell it for almost the same price you bought it at.

That's such a beautiful knife! I think I am going to purchase the SWC version :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE