Dog Collars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Light up dog collars, who can reccomend me something?

For a little explanation I do NOT want a dangly light that hangs from the D-clip (always feel these flash right where the dog is looking and I would find it uncomfortable so pretty sure looking everywhere with flashing lights would be unsuitable for the dogs).

My last dog was considerably bigger and had a harness, I was able to attach 2 Orbiloc lights one on each side.
Since he passed I ended up adopting two mental 9 year old spaniels, they run through brambles like they didnt exist and tackle mud and water like a pair of miniature bog snorkelers so probably a harness again isn't ideal.

I see hundreds of light up collars on amazon but am distrustfully suspicious 90% of them fall under the category of "cheap plastic tat".

Ideally looking for soething that can take a deal of abuse and occasional drenching without coming apart at the seams.

We love night time walks and while the 2 space cadets' recall is much improved, I would feel happier if I was able to see their location as well.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We got a light up collar from a local shop. Brand is walking mate. Comes in several colours and the light up strip extends about 3/4 of the way around evenly over the top of the dog's neck. There's a lead attachment point on the top and it's a solid collar with a good click shut to the buckle. Battery is a replaceable button one. So really easy to buy and replace. We use it all the time as its a good collar.

It's available from amazon and other online retailers / pets hops.

Reactions: Tantalus

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Prefer something designed for dog and the abuse they can deliver. Last thing I need is for it to fall off 200meters through solid brambles away.

The reality is you do want it to drop off under high strain rather than your dog strangle. We never had collars on our springers if they were working (i.e. doing exactly what you describe but under command) because it's too easy for the dog to get caught up - in the same way that anything around your neck when canoeing needs to be on a break clip. I admit, under most circumstances you'll get to it quick enough but, if the dog is well immersed in bracken, gorse, and bramble you may not.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
The reality is you do want it to drop off under high strain rather than your dog strangle. We never had collars on our springers if they were working (i.e. doing exactly what you describe but under command) because it's too easy for the dog to get caught up - in the same way that anything around your neck when canoeing needs to be on a break clip. I admit, under most circumstances you'll get to it quick enough but, if the dog is well immersed in bracken, gorse, and bramble you may not.
Aye I guess, but that surely is the difference between walking and working them. On a walk I get more input on where we go and what the obstacles are like. Also if they are having a bit of a "manic, highly excited dervish" day we can go another route.

Reactions: Broch

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Long term springer owner, and I couldn't agree more, my dogs only wore collars when on the lead and that was rarely. Horrible and potentially dangerous scenario, a hung-up dog.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was gong to suggest Orbiloc, bought one on a whim (it was going cheap on Amazon).

There is Leuchtie, made in Germany, and they sell replacement parts.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Was gong to suggest Orbiloc, bought one on a whim (it was going cheap on Amazon).

There is Leuchtie, made in Germany, and they sell replacement parts.
Orbiloc are awesome but a bit big for little spangles, thanks for the Leuchties link, at last someone who realises the battery mght be the heavy bit and immediately fall to the lowest point... Also, made in Weiden in der Oberpfalz, spent many years there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE