Crusader cup Lid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Here we go

lid1.jpg

lid2.jpg

Since I am posting I may as well give my opinion. The lids re great. I had made one out of some steel and it was almost as functional as Russel's but had a lot of sharp edges and it tended to stick on the cup. The one Russel has made is just slightly larger than the cup so it lifts of easily to look inside the cup but says on well and seals the cup well enough. There are no holes where the rivets are so no heat escapes from there. The "D" loop on top folds plat for storage or stays upright when you want to be able to hook the lid off to see what is going on.

As you can see from the charred edges of mine it sees a lot of use and stands up to abuse well.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have to say that looks pretty near perfect - nice job Russ (lucky man John - nice to see it used )

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It does doesn't it....

One of the Chosen Men

Can I be Dan by the way?

I always liked the "French Hussar" line

"which argument 'e lost......on account of me blowin is 'ed off"

Ahhh Boys Own stuff. I was hugely privileged to shoot a Baker Rifle recently. It truly is a lovely weapon - busting (still) clays at 50m standing offhand was simplicity itself. Amazing after shooting a few muskets!

Red

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
British Red said:
It does doesn't it....

Can I be Dan by the way?

I always liked the "French Hussar" line

"which argument 'e lost......on account of me blowin is 'ed off"

Ahhh Boys Own stuff. I was hugely privileged to shoot a Baker Rifle recently. It truly is a lovely weapon - busting (still) clays at 50m standing offhand was simplicity itself. Amazing after shooting a few muskets!

Red

You can support my flank any day BR ;)

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I,ll have a hunt around at work and see what aluminium ive got left :rolleyes:
I,ll keep everyone up todate :)

p.s there made out off scrap metal if ive got any

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
rik_uk3 said:
I mentioned in an earlier reply about just using tin foil as a lid, and while many seem happy to buy and carry the extra kit involved in a metal lid, nobody has said yes or no to the simple solution of a bit of tin foil, strange, to me its an obvious solution :confused:
Rik.. don't fret I tried it and it works well for me too. The only downside is getting it off, it gets too hot to touch and there is hot water under the rim, so it tend to get flicked off. :eek:

My original lid was made from a beaten out coke can, but being a mug I gave that away and when I went to make a replacement I discovered the ally they use now is way to thin and doesn't beat easily without tearing. :bluThinki

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Zodiak said:
Rik.. don't fret I tried it and it works well for me too. The only downside is getting it off, it gets too hot to touch and there is hot water under the rim, so it tend to get flicked off. :eek:

Aye, I have the same issue with my foil lid - it's quite a tight fit to stop it blowing away. Still, if I'm firing up the crusader, chances are I have either a knife or a spoon in my hand anyway, either of which will remove the lid without risk of steam burns. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE