Crusader cup Lid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I have a stupid idea. There are so many people on here looking for a metal lid, me included, would someone who is good with metal like to make a couple of dozen and sell them off at a reasonable price? Any offers? ;)

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I dont mind making them :rolleyes: and some folkes seen to like them.
I just need to source a supply off aluminium the stuff ive got a work is only good for about another half dozen lids

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Warthog,

I'd be interested in one. Any chance of posting a picture of one on the thread so we can see the finsished item - or if there's a picture elsewhere on the board, a link to it?

Cheers,

Yeoman

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
warthog1981 said:
I dont mind making them :rolleyes: and some folkes seen to like them.
I just need to source a supply off aluminium the stuff ive got a work is only good for about another half dozen lids

Try a non ferrous scrappy. Aluminium is really cheap.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I mentioned in an earlier reply about just using tin foil as a lid, and while many seem happy to buy and carry the extra kit involved in a metal lid, nobody has said yes or no to the simple solution of a bit of tin foil, strange, to me its an obvious solution :confused:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I currently use a bit of tinfoil (folded 4 times so i have a bit big enough to use for other things if required ;) )
The only thing i find is i have to put a small stone on top to stop it blowing away :lmao:

I've got a sheet of aluminum (about3' x 2') that i got in a plumbing supplier - It's meant to be a backing for a fire - cost about £6 IIRC. One day i'll have a go at making a lid out of it...... one day..... maybe...

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
bikething said:
I currently use a bit of tinfoil (folded 4 times so i have a bit big enough to use for other things if required ;) )
The only thing i find is i have to put a small stone on top to stop it blowing away :lmao:
This may look like a good idea, but a word of warning. Some time ago I was walking in a remote part of Scotland, along a windy coast. Set up for my evening meal and put the aluminium lid on the cup, on the stove. Turned round to pick up a stone to put on the lid. Wind gusted, blew off the lid, I grabbed, missed, hit the cup, cup and contents all over the gravel! Problem? The cup contained the only food I had left. Solution? metal lid. That's my story anyway and why I would go for a metal lid. :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well,

I can confirm that the plastic one does work!

424906071_87ea512ee1_o.jpg

So a mini review?

Well, without doubt, covering the cup does improve burn time . There is however significant steam leakage from the drink aperture. The fitting is tight, which isn't a problem other than the "pinch grip" makes it tricky to remove (which is necessary even when making a brew to add teabag etc). The pinch grip is a novel solution since it lets the lid remain fairly flat for sliding into a pouch but I feel a better "fold flat" grip (D ring) would improve it. The advantage of the tight fit is that other material can be stored in the cup (brew kit etc.) without risk of it spilling the contents. This is no advantage if you stack your crusader with a 58 pattern bottle. After a few uses, there seems to be no heat damage which is a relief.

Must have? Nope I'd prefer a full covering in metal.

Worth a couple of quid - sure - its better than no cover and fits well

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cheers Red, I thought it clipped over the rim and was sure it would just melt!! It looks like a good design but I can't help but think the ali ones we've seen home made on here are gonna be better and last longer in the long run.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
fred gordon said:
This may look like a good idea, but a word of warning. Some time ago I was walking in a remote part of Scotland, along a windy coast. Set up for my evening meal and put the aluminium lid on the cup, on the stove. Turned round to pick up a stone to put on the lid. Wind gusted, blew off the lid, I grabbed, missed, hit the cup, cup and contents all over the gravel! Problem? The cup contained the only food I had left. Solution? metal lid. That's my story anyway and why I would go for a metal lid. :lmao:
No spillages yet, but having chased the tinfoil up the garden during a practice run, i make sure i've got a suitable stone handy before i light the burner :)
Still think a metal lid would be more 'gucci' though :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE